IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Trade In Value - Watch Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 12:01 PM
Redfearn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not too nice a feeling to be called a "sucker". These forums have generally been pretty civilized. The dealer, in all respects, was professional and open. I got $19K - Edmonds says it was worth $21500 on a trade-in. I didn't expect a great price on a trade-in - I know how that works. The new car is on a lease. (The "price" was below invoice.) But, my main point holds, I believe - these recalls - especially those not yet repaired - can affect trade-in value. I'll tell you about the G37 after I have driven it for a while. Right now I can say the the interior is much nicer than my IS, much better equipped, and it is quieter and rides much better (17" wheels and A/S tires). The engine does have a rougher sound than the IS (I agree the IS350 engine in great) - and the car feels bigger. But that is just initial impressions.

David
Old 08-01-10, 07:02 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Usually trade in values on a new car, are going to be less than blue book or market values, especially when you're purchasing a different make than what you're trading in. You can't expect to get book value on that. Sell it privately, you'll always get more for it.

Anyways, good luck with the G37.
Old 08-01-10, 08:29 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

I'll tell you about the G37... Its the same crappy car as my buddies G35S sedan. his rattles and creaks. not as fast, and much harsher ride. good luck once you put miles on it. my is350 has double the miles of his G, and mine still drives like new at 55k miles.
Old 08-01-10, 10:18 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Silver10
Whats that saying....... Theres a sucker born every minute?
I always heard it as a "G37 customer born every minute." but same diff. Consumers Reports loves that car though, so I'm fairly sure he will be happy.

Last edited by CRB; 08-01-10 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 05:48 AM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Infiniti is not spelled with a "y"
Old 08-02-10, 09:21 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Redfearn
Basically, the Infinity dealer has to wholesale the car to a Lexus dealer - who then sits on the car for 30-45 days until the parts are available from Japan and the work can be done.
Methinks the recall will be fixed and your Lexus for sale within 2 weeks of you releasing it. At least mine was. I found the work order/due bill in the glove box when I was looking to buy it. They fixed it right away. I bought it right away.

They do not want to sit on a car that could be making them the highest dollar.
Old 08-02-10, 11:20 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice ploy, by the sales guy. His boss will be happy with his story-telling skills.
Old 08-02-10, 11:52 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah...Im sure those guys are having a laugh at your expense. No offense dude. Take it from a guy who has owned both vehicles, the is350 is a much sweeter ride.
Old 08-02-10, 01:04 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by suicidesam
Infiniti is not spelled with a "y"
Right, if you're going to own one, you need to learn how to spell it. Infiniti is the correct spelling. I sold my Lexus SC300 to get into an Infiniti G35 Coupe. I couldn't wait to get back into a Lexus.

Lou
Old 08-02-10, 01:15 PM
Karlson
Driver

I had the G35 before owning the IS. The creaks and rattle annoyed the s@!t out of me and the GPS system was horrible. And the amber interior wasn't that good looking. Although I did like my manual transmission
Old 08-02-10, 01:18 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.
Senior Moderator

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

You can still sell a car that has an open recall on it... just FYI. Otherwise we'd have a stop sale on the IS/GS/LS right now for the springs, and we dont. You were lied to. Plain and simple. You got less than your car was worth. And all you have to blame is the dealer you traded your car into. The recall was not a factor in pricing.. except to tell you a fancy story to get you to accept less for the car. They did good. You didnt fair so well... but please dont come on this board and blame Lexus for your low resale value. Lexus is stepping up and fixing concerns that most all companies would ignore and fix on a case by case basis. Lexus is going out of its way for you and the rest of its customers. Like the vast majority of us on this board, you should be praising Lexus for their efforts.
Old 08-02-10, 02:35 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Karlson
I had the G35 before owning the IS. The creaks and rattle annoyed the s@!t out of me and the GPS system was horrible. And the amber interior wasn't that good looking. Although I did like my manual transmission
^^ ditto
Old 08-02-10, 03:50 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One day when your G37 caught on fire for no reason, you will come running and crying back to the IS !

Originally Posted by Redfearn
Not too nice a feeling to be called a "sucker". These forums have generally been pretty civilized. The dealer, in all respects, was professional and open. I got $19K - Edmonds says it was worth $21500 on a trade-in. I didn't expect a great price on a trade-in - I know how that works. The new car is on a lease. (The "price" was below invoice.) But, my main point holds, I believe - these recalls - especially those not yet repaired - can affect trade-in value. I'll tell you about the G37 after I have driven it for a while. Right now I can say the the interior is much nicer than my IS, much better equipped, and it is quieter and rides much better (17" wheels and A/S tires). The engine does have a rougher sound than the IS (I agree the IS350 engine in great) - and the car feels bigger. But that is just initial impressions.

David
What wheels did your IS come with? you do know 18" is actually more expensive and looks better right? While i don't think it has much to do to affect the comfort of your ride.

Last edited by someboy; 08-02-10 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 04:34 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by someboy
One day when your G37 caught on fire for no reason, you will come running and crying back to the IS !

What wheels did your IS come with? you do know 18" is actually more expensive and looks better right? While i don't think it has much to do to affect the comfort of your ride.
actually..it does...rim size with a low profile tire has more to do with ride comfort then u think...basically let's put it this way...the rubber is there for a reason..besides to hold grip on the road..it's there to absorb the vibration and the road imperfections..thus less transfer to u...if u have less rubber, low profile tires...then that means less comfort...
Old 08-02-10, 04:37 PM
vangis350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

IS > G37

Quick Reply: Trade In Value - Watch Out