IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Trade In Value - Watch Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 04:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In short, some inexpensive "take-off" 17 inch wheels and all season tires would have been a much cheaper way to soften the ride on the IS.
Old 08-02-10, 04:50 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just wait till it turns cold out. When you turn the heat on the different materials will expand at different rates and you'll be treated to an orchestra of pops and squeaks you didnt think possible.

I actually filled out the survey and ripped them apart about not selecting materials that have a similar expansion rate.
Old 08-02-10, 06:54 PM
Redfearn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final

With so many good cars these days, there is lots of room for individual preferences - each one of us has our own priorities. I don't think it would be productive to get into a flame war, but I'll leave with this:

The new car was purchased under the Costco car program (the same way I got the IS350 four years ago). The trade-in was completely separate from the new lease - the lease (or sale price) was completely independent of the trade-in. I realize that I could have gotten more money if I had just kept the IS, waited a couple of months, and tried a private party sale. However, I literally have no place to park it. (And, with the economy what it is, it's hard to find a reliable buyer.)

I researched the purchase carefully, and looked at both the conservative (e.g., Consumer Reports) and "enthusiast" publications (e.g., Car and Driver). Both publications rate the G37 higher than the IS350. C&D does not even include the IS in road test comparisons any more, given then it has finished poorly in prior comparisons. (I understand that C&D has a BMW bias and I don't think this exclusion is fair.)

Regarding reliability, CR has the G35/37 listed as more reliable than the IS (both are rated a "above average"). There is a lot of variability here, of course, and some cars are lemons. My IS was completely reliable - the only time I saw the dealer was for the recalls. I hope the G37 does as well.

I'm curious about how this valve spring repair had already been done when the Lexus Web site says the recall campaign has not even started - I don't believe the parts are in the US yet - unless a dealer took it upon themselves to do the fix themselves (not likely).

The person who suggested the 17" wheels and A/S tires would have been a better fit for me is correct, I think. But in 2006, every IS350 coming into SoCal had the 18" wheels and summer tires - it was a "mandatory option". I could have made that swap now, but why put a lot of money (probably $1200-$1500 at least) for a four-year-old car that I was tired of anyway. I had enough noise and vibration from the front tires that I suspect there was something wrong with the bushings - I owned a Camry and a IS300 that both had to have the front suspension bushings replaced because they dried up. Speaking of the IS300 - my feeling is that car had a much better ride-handling compromise - the IS350 went too far.

Anyway, this is done for me, and it would be nice if the recalls don't affect resales as many respondents have suggested - I hope that is the case. I have moved on.

David
Old 08-02-10, 06:59 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

okie dokie then....good luck.
Old 08-02-10, 07:17 PM
rza8gamma
Pole Position

Thanks for sharing your experience, good luck with your new G ride. When someone gets tired of their ride like you did its only a matter of time till they get rid of their ride.
Old 08-03-10, 06:47 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

find us again when you come back to the lexus family. enjoy your nissan quality vehicle.