New Product: VAIS Tech SL2iC

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-10, 10:10 AM
LLaPan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Kybball#1
I havent really messed with mine yet but it does unlock a lot of things. You can enter address while in motion and make calls. If anyone wants me to try something else. lemme know and ill try it..
Kybbal, how do the iPod music videos look when output via SL2iC to the Navigation display screen? I know they can't possibly look as good as when the same video is played on native iPhone 4 screen (which has awesome HD-like clarity and color accuracy); but are the videos played on Nav screen "pretty enough" to be worth watching? In this day and age when every
monitor I view (tv, computer, phone)is high definition, I worry over whether I should wait for ML+--which promises both upgraded video and sound? I saw your post saying sound was way better than playing IPhone music through Aux cable---can you provide a quick assessment (as best you can) of video quality? Thanks.
Old 12-10-10, 07:23 AM
Kybball#1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the late response, I finally got around to watching some good video and i must say it looked awesome. Pretty much looked HD. I dont think you can ask for better than that from a Nav screen. This unit was def. worth the $$...
Old 12-10-10, 01:28 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Group Buy is on. Thanks for your patience guys!
Old 12-11-10, 08:07 AM
burr1t0
Driver School Candidate

I'm still waiting for confirmation if this works on the 06 GS with no nav or ml.
Old 12-11-10, 09:00 AM
LLaPan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kybball#1
Sorry for the late response, I finally got around to watching some good video and i must say it looked awesome. Pretty much looked HD. I dont think you can ask for better than that from a Nav screen. This unit was def. worth the $$...
I appreciate Kybbal taking the time to assess (in separate posts) the video and audio quality of his newly-installed SL2iC. That is very good news. However, I am still so, so torn between the SL2iC and the ML+. I know it's a character flaw, but I'm all about the "latest and greatest" software and hardware, and I fear that as soon as I commit to purchasing and having the Sl2iC installed, I'll immediately start seeing posts about how "superior" the ML+ is. In fact, I very recently had
the following exchange with VTech on the SL2iC Vaistech forum.
My question: "I have a 2008 ES 350 with Nav. My install technician says that I would NOT benefit from the upgraded ML+ video over the video output of the SL2iC because the Nav screen on my 2008 does not have high enough resolution to show that improved video quality---that regardless of whether I install a Sl2iC or ML+, the video would look exactly the same on my 2008 Nav screen. Is this true?"

Vaistech's response:
"Actually your 5th Gen navigation screen does have a higher resolution, so you will see a significant video quality difference between SL2iC and ML Plus."
[end of Vtech response]****

Besides superior video, as indicated by VTech above, the Vaistech website shows that the ML+ has superior audio too (digital, not analog like the SL2iC). So, although*I love the fact that the*SL2iC *has the Navigation and Bluetooth unlock feature integrated into its hardware (and ML+ doesn't), there are other features of the ML+ that very much "call to me."
Plus Vaistech is currently developing "unlock" hardware (not software) for the ML+*which can be installed as add-on hardware, although it*won't be available until Spring 2011. (Vaistech's estimated*additional*hardware cost of that add-on is $150).

I really can't help but drool over the promised spectacular video and audio performance of the ML+. Kybbal says that the video is near HD quality on his*SL2iC; so video must be freakin' phenomenal on the ML+ (based on VTech's claims of superiority). *Also, ML+'s ability to hook up additional media XBox, or portable DVD player, for example) through its USB connection is very attractive to me, since I dont have built-in DVD player.

The downside of the ML+ is its way larger total cost of purchasing and installing first and second stage hardware. *($100 more than SL2iC for original hardware, estimated $150 more for adding on hardware to unlock Navigation and Bluetooth (when it comes out) plus the additional cost (approx $150) for the "second stage" installation of that unlock hardware. I have to ask myself: *is the ML+ WORTH the $400 more I would ultimately be spending (over my cost of purchasing and installing the SL2iC)? *I know I could shave $150 off that ML+ cost by waiting until the Spring 2011 to buy both ML+ hardware components at the same time --thus saving the second installation cost of $150--- but I am very impatient to install hardware now so I can see/control my IPhone's iPod songs on my Nav's screen. To heck with waiting 3 or 4 or more months longer !! *I'm also very impatient for Nav screen unlock, but I guess I could wait 3 or 4 months to add that, if I do go for the ML+ install now.

Can anybody think of more reasons why ML+ is worth the added cost to me? (I know many of you guys are doing your own installs, so "second stage" installation cost (for the add-on unlock hardware doesn't apply in your situation--but I am a woman who is technologically challenged; no way could I handle either the original or upgrade hardware installs myself.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by LLaPan; 12-11-10 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-11-10, 10:39 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LLaPan
Can anybody think of more reasons why ML+ is worth the added cost to me? (I know many of you guys are doing your own installs, so "second stage" installation cost (for the add-on unlock hardware doesn't apply in your situation--but I am a woman who is technologically challenged; no way could I handle either the original or upgrade hardware installs myself.

Thoughts anyone?
I have a few thoughts. As context I currently have PS override and Vaistech SL2i-UP. I am getting the ML Plus installed next week.

1) I am not expecting to see much delta on the video performance. If you play a DVD on a Gen 5 system (which I can do with my Mark Levinson system), you will note the video quality is good but not excellent. The ML Plus can't deliver better video than the Mark levinson DVD system since both are digital, and both are constrained by the 480P display. Anyone who says it is like High-def is mistaken - it's 480p. That said there may be an advantage in upscaling or downscaling with the ML Plus.

2) You will see a significant difference in audio performance (this is the sole reason I am getting the ML Plus). The hardware difference is $130 which is well worth the benefits of superior audio quality. With my analog SL2i-UP, I would rather listen to CDs than iPod. The digital ipod output should make the iPod sound great. I am assuming this is the case based on the VML vs. SL2i comparisons previously posted here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...-feedback.html

3) If you already have PS override, then the cost of ML Plus is just the $130 delta between SL2iC and ML Plus. I personally wouldn't depend on Vais for the override, because the Vais override is activated by a soft-switch on the screen and requires you to use the Vais interface. The PS override is a physical switch that is much more accessible and much easier to activate and de-activate.

Last edited by *Batman*; 12-11-10 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-11-10, 01:32 PM
wils636
Driver School Candidate

I just got the SL2ic installed. So far it's great, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to figure out how to unlock Nav. Can someone please advise.
Old 12-13-10, 12:46 PM
truciet
Pit Crew

really wish someone would post a proper review on this unit...

Can anyone confirm if the menu can be changed? If not, it seems the ML Plus gets a better layout of controls...

ML Plus Layout

SL2iC Layout

Can Vaistech confirm that the ML Plus has a better layout?

Last edited by truciet; 12-13-10 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-13-10, 01:05 PM
truciet
Pit Crew

I just want to let everyone know that the above layout is fixed and cannot be changed. I just got confirmation for Vaistech.

The ML Plus has a much cleaner layout!
Old 12-13-10, 01:41 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

any videos of the SL2iC in action? Cant seem to find any.
Old 12-13-10, 08:59 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

My ML Plus shipped today and will be arriving on Wednesday and will have it installed Thursday afternoon. Will post a review.

I thought the ML plus was a no brainer:
1) Digital to the amp which means much better sound quality. I don't see point listening to analog inputs when I can listen to CDs. With ML Plus I won't give up anything in terms of sound quality.
2) The digital video will do a much better job of upscaling and downscaling. This is what causes good video to look bad. I think ML plus will have a visible advantage if the source and display resolutions don't match.
3) Don't need the motion override since I have PS override which is better.
4) Better controls
5) Ability to play non iPod sources.
Old 12-13-10, 11:32 PM
ride16734
Driver School Candidate

Picked up sl2ic under group buy today.
Vais is near me so I went and picked it up.
Vais guys were top notch, and good service.

Review:

iphone 4
Jailbroken with Display Out from cydia

Install took abouth 30 Min. Programing was a breeze, but for some reason firstime only sound came out. After reprogram everything was smooth.

1. Audio quality is great. Although not a full digital interface, sound is far better than I expected.

2. Video Mode: Video quality is near DVD not HD(I was expecting this).
Under video Mode Due to My Display out function on the Phone, all the spring board and iphone content is displayed(good). All the apps including Tomtom navi works on display, and Music video playlist is also controlled via steering wheel under Video Mode. It's like having iphone 4 on your screen but controlled by your phone.

3. Navi, phone bypass works and it's not very hard to do so. Video unlock needs to be inputed every time you start(not hard).

4. User interface cannot be changed, and only position of the menu can be adjusted.

Overall I am very Happy with the purchase. Cost factor was a plus and Navi, Phone, Video over ride in one package is good enough reason for me.
Old 12-14-10, 09:44 PM
LLaPan
Driver School Candidate

Default And the winner is ... ML+

Originally Posted by batman75
I have a few thoughts. As context I currently have PS override and Vaistech SL2i-UP. I am getting the ML Plus installed next week.
I really appreciate Batman75's detailed post. Lots of food for thought. This is exactly the type of personal, first hand input I was hoping for; although I was certainly a little crestfallen about his assessment of video capabilities in light of the 480p display limitation of 5th Gen Nav. Nevertheless, I have finally decided to follow Batman75's lead and order the ML+. *I also priced the PS unlock hardware Batman75 mentioned; but no way can I afford its additional $350 cost (for hardware alone) after spending the purchase cost of ML+, and its install cost. That'll be next Spring's decision (Vaistech add-on touch screen unlock of Nav and BT versus Prestigious Society's unlock switch.) It will probably all come down to which is less expensive at the time. For now, I've spent just about all I can afford to upgrade my Navigation system.

Last edited by LLaPan; 12-14-10 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-14-10, 11:02 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

batman75... you've got me questioning if I should return my SL2iC for an ML+.
Old 12-15-10, 04:33 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by brociouz
batman75... you've got me questioning if I should return my SL2iC for an ML+.
I don't want to claim ML+ is a dominant strategy. People should decide based on their budget. I'm just saying that with SL2iC you lose digital audio/video quality to gain a motion override.

I do think motion override is really important. It would be really annoying if you had to pull over everytime you wanted to change artist/album/video.

But the reason I wouldn't make this trade-off is because once you go for SL2iC you are stuck with the analog. I always found the sound quality on my SL2i-UP to be disappointing - It was okay, but I could tell it wasn't on par with playing CDs on my Mark Levinson system. And my MP3s are all loss-less.

So for me PS + ML Plus is the way to go. Otherwise I'd rather listen to CDs and Factory XM.

Quick Reply: New Product: VAIS Tech SL2iC