Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 03:04 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperMKIV
that's really good to know...!!!
thanks...
i'm debating about getting a touch just for this purpose...
maybe i'll steal one of my friend's ones... i'm sure someone has one tucked in a drawer somewhere...haha
I bought a refurbished touch off the Apple website. Was reasonably priced and I don't need the camera feature of the latest model if I'm just leaving it in the glovebox.
Old 12-22-10, 03:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
The latest software is 4.2.1 That's what I'm running.
shouldn't matter. i am on 4.0.1
Old 12-22-10, 03:27 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so after another call to vaistech. im going to try and see if a video will play, because their support department said it might be the wires if the video doesnt play. hopefully its not.
Old 12-22-10, 05:28 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

finally got it to work, thank you guys for all the help. I forgot to plug in the 6 pin harness.
Old 12-22-10, 11:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by new.era.13
finally got it to work, thank you guys for all the help. I forgot to plug in the 6 pin harness.
you gotta be kidding me!!!!! i should ban you for a month as punishment
Old 12-22-10, 11:40 PM
redrox5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have an SL2i-UP that was installed by the dealer. I know this to be a much smaller unit. The dealer mounted it below my shifter plate. I was hoping to tackle this install myself as I've actually taken the radio out once post dealer install and it didn't seem to terribly hard. Will I have enough room to mount the ML+ under the shifter plate? If not, where should I put it? I noticed batman had it on the side of his passenger footwell, would it be the same in a 2IS?

Functionality-wise, if I do not have any type of PS override or snipped/grounded wires in my 06 IS350, will I still be able to use the 'iPod Out' function of the ML+. This is to say, will I be able to select artists/albums, etc while the car is in motion via the iPod Out menu? Will the only lost functionality be the video out?

Thanks all!
Old 12-23-10, 01:26 AM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by rominl
you gotta be kidding me!!!!! i should ban you for a month as punishment
haha! i didnt think i had to plug it in. i guess i did! hahaha
Old 12-23-10, 08:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by redrox5
I currently have an SL2i-UP that was installed by the dealer. I know this to be a much smaller unit. The dealer mounted it below my shifter plate. I was hoping to tackle this install myself as I've actually taken the radio out once post dealer install and it didn't seem to terribly hard. Will I have enough room to mount the ML+ under the shifter plate? If not, where should I put it? I noticed batman had it on the side of his passenger footwell, would it be the same in a 2IS?

Functionality-wise, if I do not have any type of PS override or snipped/grounded wires in my 06 IS350, will I still be able to use the 'iPod Out' function of the ML+. This is to say, will I be able to select artists/albums, etc while the car is in motion via the iPod Out menu? Will the only lost functionality be the video out?

Thanks all!
no, the ml+ is far bigger and your best bet is to find areas around the passenger footwell area for it
Old 12-24-10, 11:48 AM
LLaPan
Driver School Candidate

Smile PS override and ML+ install happening right now!!

BTW I got my PS kit brand new on ebay for $200. It was called the Datasystems Japan TV/Navi Override. It's the same thing, it's just that the US importer is called Prestigious Society. The ebay kit didn't include English install instructions but I can share those if you need.
Batman75, thanks for your suggestion about the Datasystems Nav and BT unlock hardware available on EBay that is identical to the Prestigious Society (PS) hardware. I looked on EBay, but got nervous; and decided to take the deal offered by Chung at PS ($314 plus free expedited shipping). I felt safer going with PS because I could readily verify on the PS site that the hardware being shipped to me was compatible with my specific Lexus. I'm now sitting at the installer having it installed, along with the Vaistech ML+. Thanks to all of you very tolerant and informative posters and forum administrators for allowing me to gather all the information I needed in order to decide that the ML+ and the PS Nav and BT unlock hardware were the best way to go for me.

Last edited by LLaPan; 12-24-10 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Length
Old 12-24-10, 12:15 PM
LLaPan
Driver School Candidate

Smile ML+ install slightly less confusing thanks to you.

Originally Posted by mmade22
I can answer a few of your questions since you have a few of them.
Thank you for all the information you so graciously supplied. Even with Batman75's very helpful pics and diagram, I was still very confused about the terminology for the components necessary for the ML+ install. As I result of your post, things were much clearer to me.

Good luck with returning your SL2iC, and getting the ML+ instead!

Last edited by LLaPan; 12-24-10 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Length
Old 12-24-10, 12:33 PM
LyleBeach
Pit Crew

Couple of dumb questions:

1. What is a PS Kit?

2. Can you use a ML+ for a 2010 Gen 6 Nav? What would be the benifit? besides Album Art, and faster searching controls?

Thanks!
Old 12-24-10, 02:01 PM
LLaPan
Driver School Candidate

Cool ML+ install costs: today is not my best bargain shopping moment

I got the unit installed today. *Pricing: *This cost me the following:
1) $450 for the Vaistech ML Plus
2) $39 for the Apple AV Composite Cable
4) $75 for the install courtesy of Total Auto Protection in Miami (I highly recommend them to those in Miami)= $564 dollars. Not bad all in.
My gosh, after reading Batman75's post talking about install costs, I realize I am in the process of being hosed, even as we speak. (My install of ML+ and PS override is happening right now.) I wish I had read Batman75's post BEFORE I allowed my installer to proceed. I guess they definitely "saw me coming," as I spent $300 today on my install of the ML+ / PS override units. Anyway, Batman75, great price on your install, for real!!

Last edited by LLaPan; 12-24-10 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Typos and a tendency to talk too much
Old 12-24-10, 08:40 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Does the latest SL2iC have the same issue with the SL2vi where what your'e watching sometimes becomes black and white? I'm using an iPod Touch 2g. Have had my SL2vi in my '08 IS 350 for over a year now
Old 12-24-10, 08:49 PM
LLaPan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LyleBeach
Couple of dumb questions:

1. What is a PS Kit?

2. Can you use a ML+ for a 2010 Gen 6 Nav? What would be the benifit? besides Album Art, and faster searching controls?

Thanks!
I can answer part of your questions: PS stands for the Bluetooth and navigation unlock hardware add-on for Lexus navigation systems sold by Prestigious Society in California, so you can get to all the functions that are greyed out while you are in motion, meaning you are locked out of using those particular features (like the ability to enter addresses with the touch screen, access and pick from the address book, access and choose from Points of Interest lists, etc.). This hardware would not be necessary if you buy Vaistech's SL2iC discussed in this thread (which includes its own unlock features). But if you decide to buy Vaistech's ML+ for it's better quality video and digital audio (the ML+ is also discussed at length all throughout this and other threads in this forum) -- it does not have navigation and bluetooth unlock features (although it does unlock video and audio functions on the Lexus navigation unit.) So, if you want to have "it all"-- besides buying the ML+, you would need to buy supplemental hardware to unlock the Lexus's BT and Nav functions which you otherwise couldn't use while in motion. The Prestigious Society (PS) unit is one example of unlock hardware. FYI, that same hardware is sold on EBay by a Japanese company called Datasystems. A company called Coastal makes a similar puiece of hardware called Lockpick.

Don't know which of the above hardware is CURRENTLY compatible with 2010--which is the first year that joystick was added to the Lexus Navigation system. Other posts in this thread debate on whether Vaistech is now shipping ML+ units for the 2010's Sixth Generation Navigation--but if not shipping now, it is supposed to be available "any day."
Old 12-24-10, 09:40 PM
LLaPan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redrox5
I have both the Ml+ and the PS override, but I am about 99% sure that even without the PS, all video functions are "unlocked" and available, as well as the iPod *song / playlist functions--- just by installing the ML+. *Here is a direct quote from a Vaistech employee:

"With ML+ we work as the navigation screen, which means we can be ON all the time just like the nav screen is on all the time. So with ML+, there was no need for ... Video unlock" *(end of quote)

This means that BOTH the iPod out and the iPod video out would be available to you at all times while in motion, as well as all the ML+ setup features. *For the video, you just have to enter a 4 digit unlock code once, for each time you start the car (you don't have to enter the code when you start the car--it only asks for the code when you first choose video out during that particular car ride--and you can enter that code while in motion.

I have to say, I have been getting a huge kick out of playing both iPod videos and YouTube videos on my Nav screen, not only while sitting still, but also while in motion. *(Don't be alarmed, my husband was driving while I was doing all this playing of video!!) It looks surprisingly awesome. Like an earlier poster, I totally agree that people are going to have accidents while playing with the ML+, especially while you are in the "new toy' stage like I am. It is just so hard to resist playing with all the features I was previously locked out of using before; and what can i say about the new video/movie capabilities--it is just too sweet to resist.)

Last edited by LLaPan; 12-24-10 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: New Product: VAIS Tech SL2iC