Search this Thread

Old 12-24-10, 10:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LyleBeach
Couple of dumb questions:

1. What is a PS Kit?

2. Can you use a ML+ for a 2010 Gen 6 Nav? What would be the benifit? besides Album Art, and faster searching controls?

Thanks!
ps kit is navigation override kit from prestigious society. can get info from their site or email chung@prestigioussociety.com for more info

ml+ will support gen6. you should check with them to see if it's fully available already. i checked last week and it wasn't, but some says they are. ml+ will allow you to play video on the nav screen (from ipod). can't do that with facrtory

with the ml+, i think you can punch in the code and then video enable even when driving (batman can confirm). but once you shut off your car and then start the car again, you will have to repeat that.
Old 12-24-10, 11:01 PM
LLaPan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
in that case, i wonder if it's possible to run a little usb hub close to the ML+, and then run two cables, one usb extension to the glove box flush mount if you want, and then another would be the ipod usb cable. . . . I guess the question is whether the unit can handle a hub (which i suppose would draw a bit more power?)
On page 21 of the ML+ manual, halfway down the page, it says:

"you cannot connect a USB memory or USB portable audio device to this unit [the ML+] via a USB hub."

I'm not smart enough about the technology to know whether this means you can't use a USB hub -- period -- to supplement the ML's single USB connection, but I thought I'd pass the information on to you.

Last edited by LLaPan; 12-24-10 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 12-24-10, 11:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah, interesting info. maybe it's not powerful enough to drive a hub? or they want to minimize risk of two devices connected the same time?
Old 12-25-10, 01:03 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by new.era.13
finally got it to work, thank you guys for all the help. I forgot to plug in the 6 pin harness.
I'm having the same problem. Are you talking about the blue 6 pin harness? If so, can you confirm whether it should be the top or bottom blue 6 pin harness?

Thanks; I'm frustrated beyond belief right now, and I even had someone else look at my work, and he thinks it's correct too.

Ugh!
Old 12-25-10, 04:17 AM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LLaPan
Thank you for all the information you so graciously supplied. Even with Batman75's very helpful pics and diagram, I was still very confused about the terminology for the components necessary for the ML+ install. As I result of your post, things were much clearer to me.

Good luck with returning your SL2iC, and getting the ML+ instead!
Glad I could help you out! My ML+ will be on the truck Monday so I should get it before the weekend.
Old 12-25-10, 07:34 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My gosh, after reading Batman75's post talking about install costs, I realize I am in the process of being hosed, even as we speak. (My install of ML+ and PS override is happening right now.) I wish I had read Batman75's post BEFORE I allowed my installer to proceed. I guess they definitely "saw me coming," as I spent $300 today on my install of the ML+ / PS override units. Anyway, Batman75, great price on your install, for real!!
Yes I went to an independent Vaistech dealer. The Lexus dealer quoted me 4 hours labor or $480 for the install.

I also spent about $220 on my PS kit install last year so overall my install cost was similar to yours. But for that price he custom fabricated an in-console switch placement for the nav override. And I got the PS kit for just $200.

Now that your install is done, how are you enjoying it?
Old 12-25-10, 11:44 AM
LLaPan
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Originally Posted by batman75
Yes I went to an independent Vaistech dealer. The Lexus dealer quoted me 4 hours labor or $480 for the install. I also spent about $220 on my PS kit install last year so overall my install cost was similar to yours. But for that price he custom fabricated an in-console switch placement for the nav override. And I got the PS kit for just $200. Now that your install is done, how are you enjoying it?
Batman75, thanks for sharing about your PS and ML+install costs. Although you definitely beat me by a long shot (about $115) on the cost of your PS hardware, your $295 total install cost for both the pieces of hardware ($75 for ML+ and $220 for PS) is indeed right in line with the $300 I paid for the combined install of PS and ML+). Now I kind of feel bad about how bitterly I complained to the installer about my install costs (but hey, that got him to knock the price down from $350 to $300, so sometimes a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do).

LOVE your custom fabricated switch plate for the PS override. That's fricking GORGEOUS!! *I had mine mounted inside the little storage compartment to the left of the steering wheel. Definitely not as cool an installation as yours, but it is easily accessible, and utilizes a space I hadn't really figured out any other appropriate use for. *I'm not as happy about my USB install. I wanted it flush mounted in the console, close to where you put the PS switch. But because my installer didn't have any kind of flush mount plate on hand that would look "pretty enough" to be in plain sight--he robbed a USB piece from a Kenwood unit (where the female end of the USB plug stuck up about a quarter inch above its faceplate). *I decided it would look better to hide that, so we stuck that in the center console storage compartment. *The installer centered the USB connection above the two stock plugs at the bottom of that compartment. *It's not particularly elegant, especially since the installer left part of the USB extender cable just loose in my console instead of hiding the unneeded portion under the console, but it works. *Also, where the USB plug was positioned now makes those bottom two plugs even harder (but not impossible) to get to. *I originally wanted the USB female connection installed on the side of the console compartment, but I guess the installer decided there wasn't room there. The installer was closing for Xmas eve, so I didn't complain, but I'm definitely going back to at least get them to hide the extra part of the USB cable under my center console storage compartment, instead of leaving it dangling loose inside the compartment. That is just sloppy looking. *If I could figure out how to uploads pics to this forum straight from my iPhone, i would attach pics of both the USB install location and the PS switch plus some additional video footage of iPod videos in action on my Lexus Nav screen via ML+'s iPod video out. *(I know that you posted some iPod video out footage toward the end of your very informative and well shot video review of the entire set of ML+ features.) *Anyway, I guess I'm going to be forced to fire up my laptop, transfer pics and videos from my iPhone to the PC, then upload them from PC (to the same forum where you posted your review. PS: I love your British accent on the video; didnt expect that, but I guess I should have, from your "batman" handle.

As for your question "how am I liking finished products," I am estactic about both the PS and ML+. With respect to the ML+, I just wish videos could be controlled from its iPod video out feature (or even have the videos and songs combined into ONE ML interface screen, instead of having to select and control videos manually through the iPhone. *Maybe a future software upgrade would make this happen? That would be truly awesome!! *And, like you mentioned previously, when using ML+'s iPod interface, I am having a very hard time getting used to selecting song titles or album or playlist items with only the up and down arrows instead of touching the items to select, like you do on the iPhone and iPod touch. *I'm still "touching" more often than correctly "arrowing" for navigation at this point.

Last edited by LLaPan; 12-25-10 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-26-10, 03:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by rebs
I'm having the same problem. Are you talking about the blue 6 pin harness? If so, can you confirm whether it should be the top or bottom blue 6 pin harness?

Thanks; I'm frustrated beyond belief right now, and I even had someone else look at my work, and he thinks it's correct too.

Ugh!
if you have ML:

pull out the 6 pin from the back of the navigation screen (top), plug it to the white connector on the sl2ic. plug the sl2ic blue connector to back of navigation (top)

if you don't have ML:

don't worry about the white connector on sl2ic, leave it as is. plug the blue sl2ic connector to the back of navigation (top)
Old 12-26-10, 09:55 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

As for your question "how am I liking finished products," I am estactic about both the PS and ML+. With respect to the ML+, I just wish videos could be controlled from its iPod video out feature (or even have the videos and songs combined into ONE ML interface screen, instead of having to select and control videos manually through the iPhone. *Maybe a future software upgrade would make this happen? That would be truly awesome!! *And, like you mentioned previously, when using ML+'s iPod interface, I am having a very hard time getting used to selecting song titles or album or playlist items with only the up and down arrows instead of touching the items to select, like you do on the iPhone and iPod touch. *I'm still "touching" more often than correctly "arrowing" for navigation at this point.
One thing which helped me get used to scrolling is remembering this:
1) It scrolls line by line within a letter.
2) Once you get to the next letter it will switch to scrolling by letter. This is when you get the big letters on the screen.
3) When you get to the right letter, press enter to switch back to normal scrolling.

Your install layout sounds unusual. Could you post some pics on the ML+ review thread? In particular I am curious of they just made the USB port external, or also the component video ports? And did he use a USB splitter, or are you sharing the USB port with the iPod component cable USB output.

If you don't know how to post pics to CL from your phone, please upload to flickr using the flickr app and PM me a link. I can then send back to you a image link which you can just copy and paste into your post to embed the images in your post.
Old 12-26-10, 10:24 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

if you have ML:

pull out the 6 pin from the back of the navigation screen (top), plug it to the white connector on the sl2ic. plug the sl2ic blue connector to back of navigation (top)

if you don't have ML:

don't worry about the white connector on sl2ic, leave it as is. plug the blue sl2ic connector to the back of navigation (top)
Thanks very much for your reply. I do have ML, and ironically I had the setup you first listed.

I'm guessing something is wrong with the unit because I also tried 2 iPod's and I'm still not getting any kind of display from either unit (other than the occasional sl2iC splash screen). Although the steering wheel controls usually work fine, occasionally hitting skip forward causes the iPod's to pause the music (or other erratic behavior) across both iPod's.

I've also noticed that the unit causes a very slight degradation in the DVD video output. At first I thought I was imagining it, but I tried a blind test with 2 other people and both of them said the quality of the DVD was worse with the sl2iC plugged in.

This has been a very rough Christmas gift. I've invested about 10 hours into it, and I'm finally throwing up the white flag. Now I got to decide whether or not to return it (because I really don't want anything more to do with this SL2iC unit) or live dangerously and exchange it for a ML+ unit. /sigh

Thanks again for your feedback though, it's very much appreciated.

Last edited by rebs; 12-26-10 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-26-10, 11:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

interesting. it sounds like either the unit has problem or something if off during the install (make sure every plug is in tightly).
Old 12-27-10, 12:07 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

interesting. it sounds like either the unit has problem or something if off during the install (make sure every plug is in tightly).
Yeah I think the unit has a problem. I brought someone else in just to give it a second look and we even disconnected and reconnected everything multiple times and have the same issue. I think I'm done with this unit.

Sidenote: Does the ML+ allow video over-ride from the DVD changer or just from it's own video sources?
Old 12-27-10, 12:39 AM
rrr0005
Driver School Candidate

From what I am reading, it seems that both units will work on nav systems that do not have a DVD player. Can someone confirm this? I have a 2009 IS250 w/ nav, but no DVD. I want to be sure that I can use this in my car before I get one.

Also, what are the "force modes" that the installation manual talks about?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-10, 07:59 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rrr0005
From what I am reading, it seems that both units will work on nav systems that do not have a DVD player. Can someone confirm this? I have a 2009 IS250 w/ nav, but no DVD. I want to be sure that I can use this in my car before I get one.

Also, what are the "force modes" that the installation manual talks about?

Thanks!
I can confirm that it works on nav systems without a DVD player.
Old 12-27-10, 08:50 AM
wils636
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kybball#1
Only thing I dont like, which they told me was Apples fault is that sometime when you turn the car on, the album art is oversized and some of it is cut off.
I get this same problem. Did you come up with some sort of solution, or do you jus say, "The hell with it".

Quick Reply: New Product: VAIS Tech SL2iC