IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New Product: VAIS Tech SL2iC

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 09:52 PM
edwa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recieved my SL2iC today and was wondering if there was a DIY for the SL2iC itself. Used the search function and looked through all the various other thread but couldn't find one.

I'm hopeing to tackle the install myself and wanted to find out where it would be best to mount everything. Does anyone have any pics/ post which would help me out?

thanks,
ed
Old 01-13-11, 03:58 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just received my sl2ic. +1 for install tips. I haven't taken a close look at the dash panels yet but I hate the idea of trial and error on my dash.
Verizon announced the release date for iphone 4. I can't wait to switch as my
3G iphone is a bit laggy in O.S.4
Old 01-29-11, 06:06 PM
sampras83
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone. This is my first post -- I just got a 2008 IS 250 and have been busy the past couple weeks doing some minor mods to personalize it a bit. All the info on these forums has been invaluable!

I just installed the SL2iC and think it's very nice when it works, but I have had numerous intermittent problems. I have used both an iPhone 3G and iPhone 4, both running iOS v4.2.1. Here is a list of some of the problems I've experienced:

--Almost every time I plug in my iPhone, I get the following message:
"This accessory is not optimized for this iPhone. You may experience noise caused by cellular interference and a decrease in cellular signal strength"

--With my iPhone plugged in before I start the car, the SL2iC splash screen sometimes comes up immediately after the "DVD hint" screen. If it doesn't come up immediately, I just get a black screen after the SL2iC fully boots up. Sometimes I get audio and sometimes I don't. When this happens my iPhone does not appear to be in iPod out mode (since I have full control over the iPod app through my iPhone). Unplugging the cable and plugging it back in resolves this most of the time, but it's pretty annoying (since I'd like to keep the old iPhone 3G in the center console and never unplug it).

--About half the time I start the car with my iPhone 4 plugged in, the album art gets cropped. I have to go to Settings > iPod > TV Out and set Widescreen mode back to On. Interestingly, this never happens with the iPhone 3G.

--When I start the car, the volume on my iPhone 3G slowly ramps up to the maximum level and stays there (although it doesn't affect the actual volume out of the car speakers). If I try to manually lower it it jumps right back up to the maximum, and I cannot get the on-screen volume indicator to go away. This isn't that big of a deal, but it seems a little strange that it's doing this.

There are a couple issues that I think have gone away since I upgraded the iPhone 3G from iOS 4 to iOS 4.2.1:
--Sometimes when I start the car, music will only play through the iPhone 3G, not the car speakers.
--I got a message saying "This accessory not supported by iPhone"

Has anyone else seen these types of issues on either the SL2iC or ML+? I'm worried that I might have a defective unit and also considering exchanging it for the ML+ since I'm not extremely happy with the interface and the quality of the analog video. I plan on calling up Vais Tech support on Monday but wanted to check here first to see if anyone else had experienced these types of issues.
Old 02-28-11, 08:15 PM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

considering this, any updates or any other problems?
Old 03-07-11, 01:49 AM
sampras83
Driver School Candidate

I ended up exchanging it for the ML+. It also occasionally doesn't recognize my iPhone when I start the car but it's much less frequent than with the SL2iC. The interface and audio/video quality of the ML+ is significantly better than the SL2iC. Based on my experience, I would definitely recommend the ML+, and would not recommend the SL2iC.
Old 07-01-11, 05:29 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sampras83
I ended up exchanging it for the ML+. It also occasionally doesn't recognize my iPhone when I start the car but it's much less frequent than with the SL2iC. The interface and audio/video quality of the ML+ is significantly better than the SL2iC. Based on my experience, I would definitely recommend the ML+, and would not recommend the SL2iC.
even if you dont have an ML?
Old 07-01-11, 10:16 PM
edwa
Rookie

I had the same problems after I installed mine last month. Called up VaisTech and they said it was firmware issue. They shipped a new unit to me and I shipped the one I had back. No probably ever since.

Btw, I bought mine in November of last year during the group buy.

also another thanks to the wonder people on this forum that gave me lots of helpful info. during my install
Old 08-18-11, 08:19 PM
DrkSubRosa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joeker
even if you dont have an ML?

The VAIS ML stands for MediaLinQ, it has nothing to do with Mark Levinson. Not that I'm aware of.