IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New Product: VAIS Tech SL2iC

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-10, 09:46 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kybball#1
Ok guys, just got mine installed this AM and am now toying with it, So far so good. Very easy to navigate. But i cant for the life of me get it to play the videos that I have on my Iphone that i have recorded....
I suspect the reason you can't play the videos you recorded is because you recorded them with the camera app, and they are in the photos directory, and the SL2iC is interacting with iPod app. If you sync with your mac, transfer the movies from iMovie your iTunes library, you should then be able to sync back to the iPod app and play from your SL2iC.

Messy I know but that's Apple's fault for making their syncing and file management so archaic!
Old 11-21-10, 03:15 PM
MiiK350
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VaisTech
Please keep in mind ML Plus extra features updates will cost some money.
How much more and why do I need it?
Old 11-21-10, 03:20 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MiiK350
How much more and why do I need it?
About $400 but they are selling it at a discount at the moment. Why do you need it? To stimulate the economy of course (which I myself will be doing tomorrow morning)!

Last edited by jkeifer3; 11-21-10 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-21-10, 04:56 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

3. Firmware updates are free for SL2iC. Updates are done through update adapter or by sending the unit back in. With ML Plus unit updates are done via USB port, while updates will be available on our ftp site. Please keep in mind ML Plus extra features updates will cost some money.
VaisTech - some friendly advice here:

1) It makes sense to charge for major software updates that enable new functionality and save the customer from buying a new unit. By major - I mean like something that takes you another 12 months to develop, not something that takes you a couple of months to develop. As an example, Apple charges for a new OS once a year on the iPod touch, but they don't charge for minor updates through the course of the year.

2) If you launch new functionality very soon (e.g. 2-6 months after the launch), you should not charge early adopters for that update. You could, but if you do, punish early adopters and incent us to just wait until you finished developing the software. You don't want to create a reputation that people should wait 6-12 months before buying anything from you.

Last edited by *Batman*; 11-22-10 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-22-10, 12:05 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rebs
Could you elaborate a little about the car in motion functionality. For example,

1. Is it all or nothing for the car in motion functionality? For example, if I want to allow video in motion does that automatically disable the GPS making the NAV useless? Or can you enable (and disable) each function separately? (i.e. allow video in motion, but not disable the GPS or vice versa).

2. In reference to item #2 (allowing destination input which temporarily disables GPS functionality), can you re-enable the NAV lock (on the fly) after you input the destination, so you can get accurate nav directions?

Thanks for your time,
Just bumping my own post because it looks like other people have the same questions and I'm ready to order one for xmas ;-)
Old 11-22-10, 01:21 PM
Kybball#1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent really messed with mine yet but it does unlock a lot of things. You can enter address while in motion and make calls. If anyone wants me to try something else. lemme know and ill try it..
Old 11-22-10, 01:50 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

I havent really messed with mine yet but it does unlock a lot of things. You can enter address while in motion and make calls. If anyone wants me to try something else. lemme know and ill try it..
1. Is there separate functionality to shut off "Enter address while in motion" vs "Play video in motion"? (I'm curious if it's an all or nothing function, which means if I wanna play a video it automatically would turn off the ability for turn-by-turn directions.)

2. After you enter an address, can you re-enable the gps (i.e. disable the "enter address while in motion" functionality), so the GPS will give accurate directions again?

Thanks for your feedback; Vaistech seems pretty slow on providing specific details on functionality lately.
Old 11-22-10, 01:54 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So when you enter a destination while in motion, do you have to switch modes back so that the GPS tracks correctly?
Old 11-22-10, 03:13 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by rebs
Just bumping my own post because it looks like other people have the same questions and I'm ready to order one for xmas ;-)
Video unlock turns on using a code. Nav/BT unlock is turned on using a different button. Both functions can be turned on while the car is moving Nav/BT unlock can be turned off while the car is moving, while video unlock turns off when you shut the car off.
Old 11-22-10, 03:15 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by batman75
VaisTech - some friendly advice here:

1) It makes sense to charge for major software updates that enable new functionality and save the customer from buying a new unit. By major - I mean like something that takes you another 12 months to develop, not something that takes you a couple of months to develop. As an example, Apple charges for a new OS once a year on the iPod touch, but they don't charge for minor updates through the course of the year.

2) If you launch new functionality very soon (e.g. 2-6 months after the launch), you should not charge early adopters for that update. You could, but if you do, punish early adopters and incent us to just wait until you finished developing the software. You don't want to create a reputation that people should wait 6-12 months before buying anything from you.
Thanks Batman75 for your suggestions.

The only updates we will charge money for are some substantial features added later.
Old 11-22-10, 03:36 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Video unlock turns on using a code. Nav/BT unlock is turned on using a different button. Both functions can be turned on while the car is moving Nav/BT unlock can be turned off while the car is moving, while video unlock turns off when you shut the car off.
Is there a way to have the video unlock code automatically inputted?
Old 11-23-10, 08:23 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Perfect! Thanks for the response!
Old 11-23-10, 10:17 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by brociouz
Is there a way to have the video unlock code automatically inputted?
No, it has to be manually inputted every time.
Old 11-23-10, 04:31 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I read all 8 pages and may have missed the answer to my question. I have NAV w/o ML in my 06' IS250 and just want to be sure the SL2iC is compatible. If so I am in for the GB when it happens.
Old 11-23-10, 04:48 PM
chriso_86
Rookie

Is there any plans for some sort of trade in for those of us with the older model?

Quick Reply: New Product: VAIS Tech SL2iC