IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

oem navigation screen dies

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10 | 10:14 AM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Default oem navigation screen dies

Ok, upon reading and searching through here noticed that there are many of us experiencing the same issue regarding the stock navigation screen dying. It appears that the life of these screen are 3-4 yrs, judging from the various posters' model years. Since 2006 is the debut year for the 2nd generation IS, that makes sense.

I can't believe Lexus/Toyota or Denso can't make a screen/digitizer that will last longer than that. Some people haven't even finished paying off the loan and the screen goes kaput. Shelling out $2k every 3-4 years is not my idea of regular maintenance. Lexus needs to do a recall on nav screens. This is ridiculous. Do you agree?
Old 08-06-10 | 10:26 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wakaru8
Ok, upon reading and searching through here noticed that there are many of us experiencing the same issue regarding the stock navigation screen dying. It appears that the life of these screen are 3-4 yrs, judging from the various posters' model years. Since 2006 is the debut year for the 2nd generation IS, that makes sense.

I can't believe Lexus/Toyota or Denso can't make a screen/digitizer that will last longer than that. Some people haven't even finished paying off the loan and the screen goes kaput. Shelling out $2k every 3-4 years is not my idea of regular maintenance. Lexus needs to do a recall on nav screens. This is ridiculous. Do you agree?
yeah thats rediculous. if it ever happens to mine I will buy the aftermarket one that everyone on here recomends. It looks pretty much like OEM for a little less then $2K
Old 08-06-10 | 11:42 AM
mahcah
Racer

Wow there has been a lot of OEM navi malfunctions. Wonder why...
Old 08-06-10 | 11:46 AM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

what bugs me is the amount of people who are willing to put themselves at the dealer's mercy. just for kicks, dealer quoted me $3k to replace the unit. while the unit is probably functioning, just the screen or to be exact the digitizer that needs replacement. it's a waste to replace the whole unit.
Old 08-06-10 | 11:48 AM
viking880
Driver School Candidate

Forget aftermarket replacement... Lexus is obligated to replace these as a goodwill measure even if the touch screen isn't under warranty, especially if it's a known fault, which at this point, it seems it is.

Anyone know how do we get our concerns to Lexus?
Old 08-06-10 | 11:58 AM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Actually the 06 Lexus was release in 05.
Old 08-06-10 | 02:02 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by viking880
Forget aftermarket replacement... Lexus is obligated to replace these as a goodwill measure even if the touch screen isn't under warranty, especially if it's a known fault, which at this point, it seems it is.
Obligated? Says who? Only if you're under warranty and haven't performed any nav hack shenanigans. Unless it's a serious safety concern, Lexus doesn't have to do anything, AFAIK.
Old 08-06-10 | 11:09 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Lexus is not obligated to perform any work on your vehicle for free if any problems occur on or after 50001 miles on the odometer as that is the warranty agreement set upon purchasing the vehicle. That being said, if you're say 50050 miles in, dealers might be nice enough to just help you out.

I'm currently at bout 49300 miles so I have 700 miles left to bring my car into the dealer to have all warranty work performed. More importantly my list includes fixing the broken LED light in my center console, check for loose wiring for my rear view camera and most importantly, replace or refinish my stock wheels as they're now having some pretty bad peeling/corrosion which I can say it's a safety concern should the wheels rot too much and crack on me. I've also noticed clunking occurring with my springs on occasion. It's probably just a loose bolt though, I'll be jacking it up on Sunday to check through all of it (And yes I have the TSIB revised springs).

But I'll be calling into Lexus customer service to complain prior to bringing my car in. To voice any complains, calling into corporate to complain is your best option as they'll let the dealer know to take care of you. It works for most large companies that have some sort of retention line. Good luck though! As a worst case scenario, should the screen failure be prominent, we can always file a class action of some sort to have the screen replaced due to a common and known defect amongst us. !