IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Crashed!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 02:42 PM
mxis350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashed!!

Well it looks like working 2 jobs 7 days a week and in the middle of a divorce finally got up with me. My dad had taken over the lexus from me a few months ago. But last night my sister, who I am staying with untill i find a place, asked me for my truck sense hers broke down. I said sure. I graved the lexus and headed out to work. Had no good sleep in weeks. I dosed off and next thing I know I hit a big tree straight in the middle going 40 mph. I somehow managed to push the phone botton on the wheel and dial 911 from the screen as i went in and out of consiousnus. I really did not feel any pain or anything.. It was more of a deep deep need to sleep mixed with the impact.

Once I got to the hospital I started to wake up. I was tied down to a hard bed with a neck brace and all. i did not feel bad so I keept trying to get up. Later on I was in a room feeling good and just waiting for doctors to release me.. That is until the doctor came in and told me something no one wants to hear... The X rays showed a broken bone in the neck area.... at that point a shiver went true my body and realized how stupid it was of me to have been moving arownd all that time.

Later on they did a CT or is it CB scan... lucky for me it turned out I was ok.

This morning I got released with a bottle of vicodin

Called insurance and tomorrow my dad gets to go look at the car.. I hope they will let me remove the wheels and the HKS exhaust

What conserns me is the insurance... Sence my dad took over the car I am not in his insurance plan. I have not used the car for a long time until last night. I know full insurance covers this but what im worried about is that the insurance company will start asking questions. Sence I used to have the car every neighboor and person will say that I use it regularly. Then the insurance will not want to cover the insident because I was not in the policy as a regular driver...

Ohh well... One question... does airbag deployment mean automatically the insurance will salvage the car.... the front end I bet is pretty mest up all the way to the engine... so im just wondering if they will try to fix it.
Old 08-08-10, 02:47 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Good news is your ok.

As for insurance, its tricky. If your under the household then it might not get covered. Everyone in the household needs to be listed under the policy or so they say. I say its BS because it could bring up your premiums. Also, if you were once under his policy and then removed yourself, they won't cover it. If you have your own insurance, try to go through them if his doesn't cover.

Get well and good luck!
Old 08-08-10, 02:48 PM
JoeCombs
Pole Position

sorry to hear that, glad your ok though.

Insurance will most likely salvage the car, that is an extremely costly fix (head on collision) especially with a lexus. make sure you get whatever you want from the car though, dont let them screw you.
Old 08-08-10, 02:49 PM
mxis350
Lead Lap

I was never in the policy... on top of that we changed insurance 1 month ago and the guy made it his point to put my info down as not covered under household.. but i havent been living there for 3 weeks eather... man...
Old 08-08-10, 02:53 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mxis350
I was never in the policy... on top of that we changed insurance 1 month ago and the guy made it his point to put my info down as not covered under household.. but i havent been living there for 3 weeks eather... man...
So they documented that you are not to be covered at all if any accidents happen due to your fault? Usually, they go by license, so if the addy if different and you haven't changed it then your ok but if the agent jacka$$ put it down on paper not to insure you then you might have trouble.
Old 08-08-10, 03:10 PM
mxis350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
So they documented that you are not to be covered at all if any accidents happen due to your fault? Usually, they go by license, so if the addy if different and you haven't changed it then your ok but if the agent jacka$$ put it down on paper not to insure you then you might have trouble.
Yea thats what Im worried about.. my license has a slightly diffrent address. See my dad does not live in NM.. He is in AZ.. but he wanted the lexus to be parked at my house for when he traveled to NM he could use it. Kind of a spare car for him. But my house... ex house.. is not the same address as my license because I never changed it...

Man this is going to be a PITA

Well its a lease... so it has the so called GAP... mayve the GAP will cover it...

Also wth am i supposed to do call lexus and let them know sense its a lease (question mark key dont work)
Old 08-08-10, 03:14 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

damn! sorry to hear about your situation. but the important thing is that you're ok. definitely take care of yourself. hope all goes well!
Old 08-08-10, 03:24 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh geeze. Glad you are okay. You could have been paralyzed!!

Need some clarification here please.

Dad lives in AZ so....where is the car insured at what address? Where you and your wife lived?

The address on your license. Is that at you and your wife's house or your sisters?
Old 08-08-10, 03:36 PM
mxis350
Lead Lap

Dad lives in AZ.

Car is registered in NM to were I lived with wife. That is were it sits and were my dad pics it up when he comes to NM.

Car is insured at same place in NM.

Address in my license is 2 houses ago.

I moved out of my wifes place 3 to 4 weeks ago.
Old 08-08-10, 03:40 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You have a bill to your wife's house under your name, right? That's proof that you live there.

The address that is on your license now, is that house owned by one of your relatives? You can consider that (to any insurance co) as your 'permanent' address.

I had my mom's address on my license for the longest time. I moved into an apt but I knew it wasn't permanent so I kept hers on there. That was considered my permanent address and there was never an issue legally having kept it that way.

You can have your dad notarize a statement saying that due to being out of town, he authorizes you to be the sole caretaker of said vehicle until his return. AND...because of that, you are indeed required to drive it every once in a while to make sure it gets its oil changes and services...*wink wink*
Old 08-08-10, 03:41 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SOrry to hear that, the best news is that you are safe... Best of luck dealing with the insurance agents...
Old 08-08-10, 03:50 PM
mxis350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Micaiah
You have a bill to your wife's house under your name, right? That's proof that you live there.

The address that is on your license now, is that house owned by one of your relatives? You can consider that (to any insurance co) as your 'permanent' address.

I had my mom's address on my license for the longest time. I moved into an apt but I knew it wasn't permanent so I kept hers on there. That was considered my permanent address and there was never an issue legally having kept it that way.

You can have your dad notarize a statement saying that due to being out of town, he authorizes you to be the sole caretaker of said vehicle until his return. AND...because of that, you are indeed required to drive it every once in a while to make sure it gets its oil changes and services...*wink wink*

No. its from a place I owned and sold... But i might use that letter thing.. the car WAS due for an oil change..
Old 08-08-10, 04:19 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dude, sorry to hear about your accident> Glad you're ok. By the way....It's called a CT scan AKA Cat scan. I've totaled 3 or 4 cars and I had to buy 2 back from the insurance to get my parts off of it. It becomes the insurances property once they determine its a total loss. Taking wheels and exhaust is a big job. They may let you take small things if you tell them you need stuff out of the vehicle. I ended stripping parts off of my car and ended selling it back to a junkyard for the rest. Ask about how much they'll sell it to you for. It is a percentage of the value though. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-10, 04:25 PM
mxis350
Lead Lap

Im thinking ill slip the junk yard a president to let me take the things off... after the insurance makes it a total lost i dont think they will miss it.
Old 08-08-10, 05:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

I got the wheels off the wife's Scion tC at the junkyard since they weren't covered by the insurance. Didn't cost me a thing but some sweat.

Quick Reply: Crashed!!