IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250 conversion to IS-F..anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10 | 11:24 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Just get a nice kit and use the extra cash to get some parts like exhaust / suspension.

The last thing you want is people thinking that you are a poser. Worse yet people in Civic Si smoking an "IS-F".
Old 08-09-10 | 05:06 PM
markkin
Rookie

Get the 2011 IS350 Sport Package front bumper
Old 08-10-10 | 12:35 PM
WCSB

Just installed my isf rear bumper on my is350. side skirts and front bumper will be coming soon. i would never slap f badges on my car. total no no. here's some pics...

Front will be done soon...

Back is Finished...
Old 08-10-10 | 12:55 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WCSB
Just installed my isf rear bumper on my is350. side skirts and front bumper will be coming soon. i would never slap f badges on my car. total no no. here's some pics...

Front will be done soon...

Back is Finished...
Looks good... Just like an IS-F...
Old 08-10-10 | 01:02 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

I'm against this. Call me a purist or whatever like that but I don't like dressing up cars to be something they're not. If I only had budget for a 250, I would either drive it stock or wait until I had budget for a F if that's what you really want. No sense in buying a 250, modding it and then realizing it's too slow or just not right for you. You'll just end up wasting more money that way.
Old 08-10-10 | 01:50 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Most might not like the idea of making their IS look like an F but this goes way back to Honda's or even BMWs. 3series looking like CSLs or M3s. Integras looking like the Japanese version with a JDM front end. Same idea, same concept. Just as long as the person does NOT badge it an F, then it's all good.
Old 08-10-10 | 04:29 PM
markkin
Rookie

Convert your IS250 to the new 2011 IS F sport package front bumper

If it is ok to upgrade the 2006-2010 IS250 to the 2011 IS F sport package front bumper, there is nothing wrong with upgrading the IS250 to the IS-F, if you like the body kit, but do not care for the performance. Next someone is going to state fake 2006 IS350 with a 2011 front vs a real 2011 IS350 or IS250 with ISF front bumper vs a real ISF etc etc. I like the ISF aggressive front bumper, but I do not care for the V8, because I do not race. Who care what people said? Do you hang out alot of people who would really know the difference between a real Rolex vs a fake Rolex, real ISF vs Is250 with ISF front bumper?

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-11-10 at 07:53 PM. Reason: No need for such a big picture
Old 08-11-10 | 01:05 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Losers wear fake Rolexes and I can see it from across the room in most cases. A friend gave me one, and I gave it away. Very few fakes bear true close resemblance to the original. Not even fake Cohibas pass for the real thing if you know anything about cigars.
Old 08-11-10 | 11:03 AM
stevejones
Driver

I dont know, I would be embarrassed because people on the street are gonna be like "sick ISF!" and then youre gonna have to awkwardly say "no its just an IS250"

Save up the cash and get a nice used ISF or go get a is250/350 and get a nice kit. Dont be a wannabe haha
Old 08-11-10 | 11:06 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Losers wear fake Rolexes and I can see it from across the room in most cases. A friend gave me one, and I gave it away. Very few fakes bear true close resemblance to the original. Not even fake Cohibas pass for the real thing if you know anything about cigars.

Nobody likes a poseur.

Besides, there are much better looking kits than an ISF clone, IMO.
Old 08-11-10 | 11:07 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Amen, lobuxracer. If you can't afford the real thing, don't be a poser and pretend. I cringe whenever I see people rocking fake stuff, like Lacoste polo shirts. It just makes the person look so pathetic.
Old 08-11-10 | 11:14 AM
shhhua
Lead Lap

Either save for an IS-F or get a full kit for the ISx50. Like many have said, there are a lot of nice ones out there.
Old 08-11-10 | 06:19 PM
markkin
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There are different quality of replica Rolexes. The Rolex does not define the person, but the person defines the Rolex. Working at McDonald wearing an authentic Rolex vs a Banker wearing a replica Rolex, who are you going to believe. If I get the Lexus ISF, the Lexus ISF does not define me.

I brought a high quality replica Omega watch when I went to Hong Kong about 4 years ago, I took it to a USA Omega watch shop which has the exact same watch on display to get the watch band resize, and the watch guy could not tell the different. Thus, I highly doubt that you can tell the difference from across the room or even up close. I am willing to bet on it. I can even send you a picture, and you can decide which one is real and which one is a replica, because I have both the real and fake replica if you are willing to bet on it. Even the weight is similar. Want to bet your Lexus ISF on it? If I wanted to I can even replace the insides with genuine parts, dial, crown, etc , and it will be impossible to tell the difference unless you call Omega to check the serial number. I am not a watch person, but I brought the replica Omega watch because the quality is perfect next to an authentic one.

Do you think it is difficult for China to replicate a watch? For the right price and volume, a perfect replica can be made.

Very few people can actually appreciate an automatic watch. Just like I do not appreciate cigars, but you do. I could care less that you are smoking a $25.00 cigar or drinking a $1000 wine. I brought it for my enjoyment. My watch is tuck under my cuff. I do not share my watch. I do not show off my watch. My watch is for my enjoyment only.

Thus, I have no problem if someone decides to replicate the Lexus ISF body style to a Lexus IS250. Do it for you enjoyment. I would not do it myself, but I do not have a problem with it. The Lexus ISF should appraise for about 32k next year summer (12 months), so it should be within reach for anyone who wants one. I would not waste money to replicate it.

I am looking to get a new car next year. I was looking at the Lexus ISF and Lexus IS350, but there is not alot of headroom. I did some research, and I read that the new 2011 Shelby GT500 has the new V8 DOHC engine, but is only available in manual transmission, so I figure if I get a Mustang, I would get the Mustang 5.0 GT V8 DOHC 415 HP with better gas mileage than Lexus ISF and conversion it to the Shelby GT500 front bumper, because I enjoy the look, and I want the automatic. Thus, with the Mustang 5.0 GT with Shelby GT500 front conversion, I am not posing that I have a Shelby GT500, but I like the look of the Shelby GT500 with an automatic transmission which is not available on the Shelby GT500. While I can get a body kit of the Mustang GT, I would prefer the OEM look.

Hence, convert the Lexus IS250/IS350 to the Lexus ISF front bumper for your enjoy and ignore what other people think as long as you are not telling people you are own a Lexus ISF nor do you need to correct them if they think you have a Lexus ISF. Very few people know what a Lexus ISF is? Most people would just say, that looks nice. That is it. Then, there will be a small percent who will straight out ask, "Is that a Lexus ISF?" Tell them, "NO," and move on. Not everyone who converts their Lexus is250/is350 are posers or can not afford it because there could be a number of reasons including getting the Lexus IS250 AWD for snow winter season but like the Lexus ISF front bumper, want a more aggressive look while keeping it OEM-like without getting a aftermarket body kit or wheels, etc.

Stop looking as the glass as half empty, but look at it as glass half full. Thus, stop thinking people who want the Lexus ISF conversion are posers. They may not be.

2008 $60,000 0,000 miles
2009 $52,000 12,000 miles
2010 $45,000 24,000 miles
2011 $38,000 36,000 miles
2012 $32,000 48,000 miles
2013 $25,000 60,000 miles

The car is deprecating $500.00 per month for the first 60 months. 2013 is the best time to buy because the car has lost most of its deprecation in the first 5 years and is worth about half the original price. I am not sure how well the Lexus ISF value will hold against the 2 door BWM M3 or Corvette in a few years, the Lexus ISF is comparable to the BMW M3 and Corvette, so you can check the prices against a used BMW M3 or Corvette. If you want more information check Edmunds True Cost of Ownership. Also, I believe the next IS3 will be out 2012 assuming a 6 year cycle, so the Lexus 2IS will depreciation even more around 2012 or 2013. The next generation BMW M3 will have twin turbo V6, so I assume the next Lexus ISF may have a more tuner friendly twin turbo V6 too like the Lexus IS300.

If you try hard, I am sure there will be a few Lexus ISF in the $32,000 range next summer when the Lexus 3IS is revealed.

There are a few Lexus ISF on ebay, but no one is buying. Sales of the Lexus 2IS has been down hill for the past couple of years. I guess it is a buyers market now.
Year.......Total Sales.......US&Japan....... Total Export
2006....... 54,267.......... 10,727........... 109,720
2007....... 54,933............ 9,514........... 110,907
2008....... 49,432.......... 10,110............. 93,612
2009....... 38,077............ 5,278............. 43,369

I found this on cars.com

2008 Lexus IS-F - $35,897 22k miles
Dealer: Prestman Auto
Call: 888-838-2413

Last edited by markkin; 08-11-10 at 07:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Neo995 (04-18-24)
Old 08-11-10 | 07:54 PM
CapitalisT
Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
It can definitely be done, but personally I think you'd be better off just putting a really nice kit on your 250. My $0.02.
Agreed with the others
Old 08-11-10 | 08:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by markkin
There are different quality of replica Rolexes...etc,etc,etc,...I found this on cars.com

2008 Lexus IS-F - $35,897 22k miles
Dealer: Prestman Auto
Call: 888-838-2413
Clearly you didn't read what I said at face value. MOST fakes are visible from across the room. This doesn't mean the original CAN'T be replicated at a lower price. Maybe you're not aware, but a significant portion of Rolex's profits go to purchasing fakes to remove them from the market place.

Who really cares if the IS-F is a depreciating asset? I certainly didn't buy it because I thought I could enshrine it and have it maintain its worth over time. Anyone doing this is a fool. I got LUCKY with my Supra. Pure LUCK it is still worth what I paid for it 13 years and 120,000 miles ago.

Seriously - why does anyone want an IS250 to look like an IS-F? Because they like the look of the IS-F but don't care about the performance? Or they like the look but don't want to drop the money for an F? Why the F? Why not Wald or Lexon or some other bodykit to make the car look unique? WAIT A MINUTE...if it LOOKS like the F, then someone not aware there's really a difference will think it really IS an F. And it will run like a 250 - basically same performance as a Scion tC (yes, that's why I didn't buy a 250, I already owned a tC and had no interest in spending a lot more money for the same performance). So really, it's just posing as an F when it really isn't.

Worst of all, the money you waste on making it look like an F will only REDUCE resale value unless you find a chump or another poseur. It is practically impossible to recover the cost of modifications. This is the reason we have so many posts in the classifieds - sold the car after returning it to stock, now want to sell my mods and recover at least a portion of the money I burned on them.

Sure, it's all about how YOU want to spend YOUR money. This is an absolute truth. But making a 250 look like an F is just silly. Do your own thing. Pick out wheels and a bodykit you like, have them done up, do something unique and make it your own. Copying an F is just posing.

Oh, the Prestman car? It's a salvage title rebuild. Good choice for comparison. I can get a wrecked F for a lot less and do a better job rebuilding it myself and still spend less than $35k.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-11-10 at 08:15 PM.

Quick Reply: IS 250 conversion to IS-F..anyone?