IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Them dang whippersnappers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 07:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,034 Likes on 2,445 Posts

Same thing happened in the Supra community after '98. If it weren't for Fast n' Furious, TT Supras would have been mid-teens priced aging Japanese sports cars just like the 300ZX, RX-7 FD, and Mitsubishi 3000 VR4. Even so, I bought my second Supra in '97 for $28,500 - a '93 TT hardtop 6 speed. I wouldn't sell it for that now, even with 150k miles on it.

But the prices did drop from $54k in '95 to the affordable mid-20's by 1998 for a good used one. And the kids showed up in droves right after F n' F. Same is happening here as the used ones get very affordable.
Old 08-11-10, 11:28 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Micaiah
This makes a lot of sense.
while i hope this post does not create a further rift in the 2is community between the younger and older 2is owners in here, unfortunately many (not all, but many) of the younger 2is owners don't understand or care to understand that as 2is owners they are a representative of the community. it's that whole "me first" attitude that does nothing for "building a sense of community."

case in point, (and unfortunately, and imho) this is a lot of what i see in here and to a lesser extent in the 2is classified section:

- baseless complaining
- false sense of entitlement
- brand fanboy-ism/uninformed bias
- illogical reasoning
- thoughtless recommendations
- an inability to think for oneself
- popularity/"beauty queen" contests
- outright laziness
- community apathy

if this is a representation of our community as formed by the majority of 2is owners (many of them who are young/younger), i'd rather distance myself from it. i may take the good with the bad, but there just comes a time when i'd rather cut my losses. that's what many older 2is owners have chosen to do, and that's something that many of us older 2is owners will face as we continue our respective stays here.

even though i'm going to continue to support the community, there's only so much that i'm willing to do until there's a collective realization that we (and i mean EVERYONE in the 2is section, younger and older) are a community not just for current 2is owners but for future 2is owners. if there isn't a change in attitude from the same younger 2is owners (who are plagued with any of the above-mentioned symptoms), the community will continue to alienate and lose the older 2is owners who actually provide a "voice of reason" in this community. by then, the 2is community becomes nothing more than a passing fad.

regardless, take what i've said for what it's worth. now, your understanding... well...
Old 08-11-10, 11:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
while i hope this post does not create a further rift in the 2is community between the younger and older 2is owners in here, unfortunately many (not all, but many) of the younger 2is owners don't understand or care to understand that as 2is owners they are a representative of the community. it's that whole "me first" attitude that does nothing for "building a sense of community."

case in point, (and unfortunately, and imho) this is a lot of what i see in here and to a lesser extent in the 2is classified section:

- baseless complaining
- false sense of entitlement
- brand fanboy-ism/uninformed bias
- illogical reasoning
- thoughtless recommendations
- an inability to think for oneself
- popularity/"beauty queen" contests
- outright laziness
- community apathy

if this is a representation of our community as formed by the majority of 2is owners (many of them who are young/younger), i'd rather distance myself from it. i may take the good with the bad, but there just comes a time when i'd rather cut my losses. that's what many older 2is owners have chosen to do, and that's something that many of us older 2is owners will face as we continue our respective stays here.

even though i'm going to continue to support the community, there's only so much that i'm willing to do until there's a collective realization that we (and i mean EVERYONE in the 2is section, younger and older) are a community not just for current 2is owners but for future 2is owners. if there isn't a change in attitude from the same younger 2is owners (who are plagued with any of the above-mentioned symptoms), the community will continue to alienate and lose the older 2is owners who actually provide a "voice of reason" in this community. by then, the 2is community becomes nothing more than a passing fad.

regardless, take what i've said for what it's worth. now, your understanding... well...
I don't think the above is exclusive to CL. Most auto blog sites possess those traits. Much can be blamed on the internet and people's fear-factor lowering due to keyboard to keyboard contact instead of face to face contact.
Old 08-12-10, 10:35 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wow you guys went deep... all i was talking about was how were gonna see more n more~ ebay type crap on the board...
Old 08-12-10, 10:40 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

^ that's gonna be the least of our concerns.
Old 08-13-10, 08:11 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is that I'm one of the REAL old owners of an IS350. I'll not see 30 again. Or 40. Or 50. Or 60 again for that matter. I have never (almost) owned any car that doesn't put a grin on my face when I punch it. Thus, I ordered a new 2006 IS350. It would have been a manual too if they made one. Anyway I have other cars in my stable including one that makes my IS350 seem like it has a 4 cyl. in it. They ALL make me smile.

But enough about me. I still peruse the forum often and enjoy some of the posts. I even post once in awhile, like today. A lot of the members do seem very into MODS. OK but that is not for me. Do I love seeing and reading about different wheels, different lights, lowering, etc.? Yes. Just not for me.

I'm very happy for all the younger people who can own such a nice car. And it is true, as the 2nd gen. IS's age they will become more affordable and even more younger ones can buy. Good for them! Oh, and I'll NEVER get so old as to buy an ES. Besides the wrong wheels would be doing the burnout!
Old 08-13-10, 09:27 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not going to lie. im not hating, but i do envy the youngsters that are driving the same car. but at the same time i do respect them cause they prolly worked their booty off to get to where they are. if not then maybe their mom n pops helped them out, but i just let that go too because I understand that there are people that are more fortunate than others.

as far as sense of community. this is by far the most informative / active forums that I have ever seen. There will always be useless /bad info and people posting up ideas (good / bad). The bad information / idea are also good for me too cause it lets me know what NOT to do =). So far my experience has been very positive. Each time I msg or posted on the forums for help / advice, fellow CL members have been very responsive and with helpful info too.
Old 08-13-10, 11:27 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexustom
I'll not see 30 again. Or 60 again for that matter.

Oh, and I'll NEVER get so old as to buy an ES. Besides the wrong wheels would be doing the burnout!
this is what's up. you da man
Old 08-14-10, 12:54 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

I'm 31, bought mine 3 years ago new, and will keep it for years to come, both of my car are paid off, and i love the fact i don't have to deal with a payment anymore. I even just bought a new SUV for my g/f. Working hard does pay off.