IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need Some Suggestions 30k Maintence

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 08:23 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pivo154

The Hankooks do not come in my rim size of 225/40R18 or 24/40R18 rear....??? Which should I go with since they dont..
Um, yes they do.

Hankooks in 225/40-18 front
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Hankooks in 245/40-18 for the rear
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....10XL&tab=Sizes

(or in 255/40-18 which is standard on the OEM RWD rear wheel 18s)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....10XL&tab=Sizes

Last edited by Kurtz; 08-15-10 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 02:23 PM
PandaBear
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What to do at 30k? differential fluid, brake fluid (if about 2 years), air filter, that's about it. Battery should be replaced when worn, so are tires and brakes. All the other stuff like plugs, ATF / MTF, PSF, coolant, are all 60k-90k interval items.

Michelin PS2 is alright, but not for the price. You can get much better traction by using cheaper tire and replace them more often, or better performance tire. My personal experience of Michelin is that they make good FAMILY CAR tires that last a long time at the trade off of traction.
Old 08-18-10, 04:39 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

For 30K all I had the dealer do was an oil change and the brake fluid (mostly so that it'll show up in their official records, and hopefully help resale value). I did the cabin air filter change myself (super easy), and that's it as I remember.
Old 08-18-10, 04:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,062 Likes on 2,459 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
Michelin tires being the best would be your opinion and not fact, and wear ratings have EVERYTHING to do with how long they will last. wtf kind of answer is that? Of course, a higher wear rating tire will last longer than a lower tread rating tire on the same driver using the same driving patterns.
What a ridiculous response.

again.... buying a less expensive tire with a zr rating and higher than 300 tread rating will yield you better life than the exact same situation on the ps2. In the same situation i just quoted you, the fuzion (or any less expensive tire rated similarly) would last to 50k miles. So now what?
WTF kind of answer? Simple. There is NO government standard for wear ratings. I've worn out tires with a 300 wear rating faster than I've worn out tires with a 140 wear rating on the same car. Each tire brand sets its own standard so there's no fair comparison between brands.

Originally Posted by http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48
The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.
Note the key word here - the MARKETING department decides what the number will be. Sure sounds like a fair comparison to me.

Z rating has nothing to do with tread life. It only impacts the tire's construction and resistance to shredding at high speed. Using speed rating and treadwear rating together is like predicting rain by stepping outside, wetting your finger, and sticking it up in the air. You don't have anywhere near enough data to make a good decision.

So now what?

Hankook makes decent tires and some very good competition tires. I wouldn't say everything Kurtz says about them because I don't have personal experience with how long they actually last a real driver on real roads. I would also not buy them and expect them to work like a set of Michelins over the full life of the tire. Keep in mind, many of these comparisons don't take into account what happens as the tire approaches the end of its service life. Some retain a far greater capability over time than others. Some will dry out and weather check sooner than others despite posting similar performance when tested against each other while brand new.

I've got a lot of experience buying inexpensive tires and very expensive tires. Each has a time and a place. Odds are, putting cheaper tires on a Camry driven the way most Camry drivers do is a safe bet. Putting cheaper tires on a "performance" car driven the way a performance driver drives is not such a good bet.

Believe it or not, my first consideration when buying tires is wet traction (this UTQG rating IS standardized) because the most likely time to really need good traction is in the rain. If the tire is AA rated, I know it will stop in the rain. Everything after that is up for grabs.
Old 08-19-10, 06:45 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Hankook makes decent tires and some very good competition tires. I wouldn't say everything Kurtz says about them because I don't have personal experience with how long they actually last a real driver on real roads. I would also not buy them and expect them to work like a set of Michelins over the full life of the tire. Keep in mind, many of these comparisons don't take into account what happens as the tire approaches the end of its service life. Some retain a far greater capability over time than others.

While I agree it's possible the PS2s will work better in the last 10% of their service life (it's possible they'll be worse too) the fact that they cost around 2x as much as the Hankooks make the Hankooks a no-brainer IMHO.

You can replace the Hankooks more often, still be spending less in the long run, and consistently have a higher performing tire on the car.

(and you might well need to replace the Hankooks less often in real world conditions, making them an even better value over the PS2s)

Again, the PS2s are a great tire, no question. But the V12s perform better, and cost half as much. And as you agree, Hankook is a quality brand of tire. So even if you ignore the treadwear ratings entirely (where the hankooks are a fair bit higher rated) the Hankooks remain a better deal.

And FWIW wet braking distance, which is also a big consideration for me when shopping tires, is one of the areas the Hankooks outperformed the PS2s in the testing.... about 2 feet shorter wet stops on the Hankooks over the PS2s

Last edited by Kurtz; 08-19-10 at 06:53 AM.