IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need Some Suggestions 30k Maintence

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 03:36 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Suggestions 30k Maintence

So I did my 30k maintenance at Lexus pretty pricey...But anyways I was told that my battery is bad, rear tires are worn, & my left shock is blown! I didnt expect to hear all this...What should I do to replace them? Lexus is charging a lot to replace these parts & Id like to get the best suggestions/prices on what to get to replace each one. I have an IS 350 06 base model.
Old 08-11-10, 06:03 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Bump need sum suggestions asap guys. Plz respond.
Old 08-11-10, 06:56 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tires from Tirerack.com
IF the battery is actually bad, go exchange for a new one at sears.
And for the shocks, you can always upgrade to some f-sport shocks or coils.

just my opinions.
Old 08-11-10, 07:39 PM
CapitalisT
Driver

Originally Posted by new.era.13
Tires from Tirerack.com
IF the battery is actually bad, go exchange for a new one at sears.
And for the shocks, you can always upgrade to some f-sport shocks or coils.

just my opinions.
Agreed, tirerack and sears ftw! At 30K thats alot to possibly be wrong, did they give any reasoning or did you notice that any of those items were going bad??
Old 08-11-10, 07:42 PM
CapitalisT
Driver

They wouldn't warranty shocks or a battery? From 06' your probably outside of warranty now im assuming?
Old 08-11-10, 08:28 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Batteries are normal wear and tear, especially four year old batteries. Same as shocks, no?
Old 08-11-10, 08:38 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Well he said batteries go bad around 5yrs some earlier, so not unusual. Then the shocks went bad most likely from the streets around here..really ****ty potholes everywhere but most shocks should last 50k from what Ive read around the forums. He attributed it to my lowering springs..Only one is blown so Im not sure if I should change them all out or what is the best thing to do, money-wise & future wise. He wants to charge $180 for battery, 340 for shocks & 250-300 per tire mounted/balanced...sounds really high & rip off. What do you guys think I should do about tires/shocks? Whats the best brands for both & most value for your money?
Old 08-11-10, 08:41 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Hey capitalist how did u like the audi over the lexus? I went to test drive one, are they really worth that much $$$$
Old 08-11-10, 08:41 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 for tires from tirerack.com. With the blown shock, maybe now's a good time to upgrade to coils? Buy the battery yourself.

Also, make sure you don't pay for the $30k service. Just get your oil changed and brake fluid flushed. Change the cabin air filter yourself.
Old 08-11-10, 10:34 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Yeah with the tires, tirerack is great. If you have a town fair tire in the neighborhood they can always match tire rack and you can just pick them up locally. Plus if you end up not liking them, you can always exchange! Most places do that anyway but I know town fair matches online competitors so they'll want your business if you find it cheaper elsewhere. Tires have HUGEEEE mark up on them. My buddy has 22" wheels and his tires would of normally ran him $1500-1600 at the time (few years ago, got some tire that was THE summer tire to get, don't recall which. it was before i was into cars haha!) but his buddy worked at a tire shop and gave it to him for $600 for all four. Yeah that's a $1000 profit margin. Make sure you shop!

Shocks you can honestly either purchase the new shock from sewell if you have the part number and if you do, you can swap it out yourself. All you need is a spring compressor, a jack, some wrenches, a torque wrench and a free afternoon. you should be done within an hour or two while firing up the grill your friends

If not you can always upgrade to f-sport shocks or some coilovers. Coils will run you about a grand or so for all four, be adjustable for your potholes, give you a better look, better ride and handling, etc. It's the way you really should do it

To factor in total cost, I don't know much about batteries. Never had to replace one on any of my cars really. But, if you're quoted for about $250 per tire, $340 for the shock and $180 for battery, you're look at roughly $1020 +/- 100 after all said and done.

Outside, you can get the same tires for maybe roughly $180 +/- 20 and have a shop mount and balance for $10-20 per tire. If you buy the shock outright it'll probably be $200 or so and if you found a deal on the battery for even $150, that'll run you about $750. That's $250 you could save toward something else.
Old 08-12-10, 06:21 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

i have to agree with what everyone is saying. you can also check out the classified section to get a set of rear tires and find some shocks to replace on your car.

As far as the battery, just go to your local sears to pick up a new one to replace. Also it is a great opportunity to consider coilovers. just dont go to the dealership n pay for the high mark up cost.
Old 08-12-10, 06:36 AM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

What tires should I go with though? Whats a good brand that lasts & is really good on the road with minor road noise? Also, same thing for the shocks or if I decide coilovers what are the solid brands that wont hurt the bank?
Old 08-12-10, 06:42 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pivo154
So I did my 30k maintenance at Lexus pretty pricey...But anyways I was told that my battery is bad, rear tires are worn, & my left shock is blown! I didnt expect to hear all this...What should I do to replace them? Lexus is charging a lot to replace these parts & Id like to get the best suggestions/prices on what to get to replace each one. I have an IS 350 06 base model.
you can buy an Interstate battery for $90 and install it yourself. Tires either go to tirerack.com or a local dealer. The local dealer may be able to compete with tireracks price. Remember your going to have to have someone take your old tires off, mount and balance the new ones. So maybe the local dealer will give you a good price. If you have lowering springs you can get a nice self of Bilstein shocks which are the best on the market. Any trusted mechanic whos been in business for a awhile can install them. Or go the coilover route. Do not have the dealer do the work, this is all simple stuff any trusted mechanic can do.
Old 08-12-10, 08:58 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pivo154
What tires should I go with though? Whats a good brand that lasts & is really good on the road with minor road noise? Also, same thing for the shocks or if I decide coilovers what are the solid brands that wont hurt the bank?
Hankook V12 tires and BC Racing coilovers. Trust me. Both are reasonably priced yet high quality.
Old 08-12-10, 09:15 AM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

^+1, you can also go to tirerack.com and look at the ratings of each tire.

Quick Reply: Need Some Suggestions 30k Maintence