IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Driver side light going out

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 02:16 PM
rizzy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side light going out

I noticed my drivers side headlight is out. This is the second time in 4 months that i need to replace the light. I got it replaced at the dealer the first time. Is there anything that i should check out? I park in the garage and i keep my lights on auto, causing them to always turn on/off when i pull in and out if the garage. Could that shorten the life of the light dramatically?
Old 08-15-10, 03:38 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, it could shorten the life of the bulb because of the unnecessary starting, that's why when I go home I try to remember to turn it off if I can remember.
Old 08-15-10, 05:04 PM
rizzy
Pole Position

I'm gonna try to start doing that, I wouldn't have thought that it would reduce the life of the bulb that much, now did I think that it would be the same light.
Old 08-15-10, 11:12 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

It shouldnt make your headlight go out. If you switched out ur bulb twice for driver side, going in garage with auto lights shouldn't be the problem.
Old 08-16-10, 05:43 AM
rizzy
Pole Position

That's what I was thinking. I bought the car in mid-April and had to get the light replaced at the end of April, I didn't think too much of it because I didn't know how much the previous owner used the lights and whatnot. But now, 3 1/2 months later I have to replace another light on the same side. Just sounds like there is something more to it.
Old 08-16-10, 11:55 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

from everything i've read on in the 2is section, it sounds like the oem HID system is finicky at best.

some here have had (cheap-o) aftermarket D4S bulbs last forever, while some others have had oem D4S bulbs go out long before its estimated lifespan.

i'm likely to chalk this up as an exercise of the law of averages as a collective whole. as such, you might have just gotten a bad bulb.
Old 08-16-10, 12:00 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Too many people have had this problem, clearly that means one thing. There is some sort of defect with the HID system from factory on the 2IS, they need to start a recall or warranty them....

They never warrantied mines and I had to buy 3 different head lights within 2 years. Pathetic
Old 08-16-10, 12:04 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

but it's easy to change the OEM HID ballast and bulb to aftermarket right?
Old 08-16-10, 12:09 PM
JoeCombs
Pole Position

i had the same problem with my driver side OEM HID, granted the problems started using a aftermarket bulb but still it was only the driver side and a good quality bulb
Old 08-16-10, 12:58 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JA_GSE20
Too many people have had this problem, clearly that means one thing. There is some sort of defect with the HID system from factory on the 2IS, they need to start a recall or warranty them....

They never warrantied mines and I had to buy 3 different head lights within 2 years. Pathetic
i don't think the 2is oem HID system is defective.

think of it this way: not only are the 2is owners a small representations of all the 2is owners, of those here you'll only hear from the people who have/have had issues w/ the oem HID's. that's a very small representation, and imo not enough for lexus to do anything about it. we here in the 2is section are simply too small of a sample for them to take this "issue" seriously.

those who are still in warranty will get it taken care of under warranty. those who have oem HID issues are probably out of warranty and thus have exceeded the lifespan of those components.

if anything, the oem HID system is probably engineered a little too precise. take that for what it's worth.

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
but it's easy to change the OEM HID ballast and bulb to aftermarket right?
i don't believe it's possible.

Originally Posted by JoeCombs
i had the same problem with my driver side OEM HID, granted the problems started using a aftermarket bulb but still it was only the driver side and a good quality bulb
see my above post.

even if what i said holds up (so far, it has), i still recommend using high-quality D4S bulbs. better designed/engineered/manufacturered components tend to hold up longer than their lesser equivalents.

there are exceptions to the rule, but again, law of averages.

Last edited by projectdna; 08-16-10 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-16-10, 01:27 PM
rizzy
Pole Position

I got the bulb replaced, under warranty both on mileage of the car and warranty of parts/labor by Lexus. So hopefully it was just a bad light and not further issue. If it goes out before its expected lifespan I will report back, but until then everything has been remedied.