IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Paint dripping after repaint

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 11:30 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to anyone with a big raging chip on your shoulder will get you far more grief than respect.

Simply take it back, point out the flaws and ask that it be reassigned to one of their more experienced painters.

Shops are notorious for going through painters, and sometimes one is still on the learning curve. Current workload can also play into a accidentally rushed job...

I would acknowledge that at $400, you weren't expecting a high end job, but you need this fixed as soon as possible.

I think any respectable shop will make it right for you with little to no argument from them once they see it. Unless you walk in with an attitude... then all bets are off.

2cents
Vince
Old 08-15-10, 11:41 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
How long of a warranty did they give you on your paint job?
they didn't specifically said how long warranty is, but they said if anything go wrong with it they would take care of it. Regardless of the warranty this is obviously their fault so they should take care of it. Do you think they should cover a loaner for me during the time they fix it since this is their fault? I only have 1 car right now.

I will bring it in tomorrow and I'll update with you all.
Old 08-16-10, 07:08 AM
CleverName
Pole Position

Originally Posted by khoab88
they didn't specifically said how long warranty is, but they said if anything go wrong with it they would take care of it. Regardless of the warranty this is obviously their fault so they should take care of it. Do you think they should cover a loaner for me during the time they fix it since this is their fault? I only have 1 car right now.

I will bring it in tomorrow and I'll update with you all.
lol.... Highly doubtful that they will be held responsible for a loaner... Just schedule back in to get the job done right when you have the time. Stop looking for the free handouts in the middle of an unfortunate situation.

V
Old 08-16-10, 07:25 AM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

no need to "Rage Hard" to the shop, But i would def say you deserve some kind of refund compensation or at the very least get them to redo the job and do it right.
Old 08-16-10, 08:20 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

My family has gotten so many cars repainted, but none of them bubbled or dripped. You should definitely take it in. Most shops offer warranties for their work up to a year as long as it was not caused by other occurrences. Btw $400 is a bit on the lower mid end for repainting the hood.
Old 08-16-10, 10:00 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Point out the paint flaws to the shop owner. There should be warranty on the work.

I'm bring my car in for the third time now since they can't get it right for some reason. There are bubbles in the paint. It's from dust trapped in the paint gun or painting in unclean setting. The dripping effect means that they oversprayed that area.
Old 08-16-10, 10:06 AM
khoab88
Lead Lap

I just come back from the shop. I showed the same rep the flaw. He said he can't keep fixing it and he gave me a really good deal on the paint job and he's like: "This is a really good deal you got and it's a really good paint job; but we gonna fix it little bit up for u."

So he asked for my key and drove it to the back. When he came back, the dripping got less, but it's still uneven, I mean it's still dipping but less. I guess they sand it? but anyway they refused to repaint it or give me my money back.

Old 08-16-10, 10:19 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

No... If it's their mistake, then they should fix it.

I would go back and threaten to report them to the BAR (bureau of automotive repairs).

If you report them, the BAR will crack down on that shop big time!

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/enforcement/index.html
Old 08-16-10, 10:51 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah dude, that resolution is unacceptable. It's obviously their fault. They were the only ones that painted it. And dont let them treat you like crap by saying, "well it was a good deal anyway". No it wasnt. If it were a good deal you'd have a respectably painted hood and wouldnt be complaining for them to fix it. If they charged you 100 dollars it would still be a bad deal.

You gotta get tough with them now, respectfully of course. Make them believe that you've got nothing but time to drag this out if necessary( bbb, small claims court ect.) even if you dont. You've presented them with the classic risk/reward scenario by elevating.

Either they make the problem go away, or perhaps lose a customer base, attorney fees all kinds of stuff. They will more than likely repaint the hood then. If not, follow through with whatever action you deem necessary.

Bottom line is that you paid for a professional job and got the 5 year old child version. Thats no good. Period.
Old 08-16-10, 11:04 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i agree with all of the guys/gals who have commented post your revisit to the shop. it's not acceptable and i would NOT leave my baby in their hands again. i would firmly ask for a refund and threaten to report to the BAR. leaving the car at their shop again may see you finding more "accidental" problems in some months time, paint related or not.

make sure that you are taking very meticulous photographic documentation (use high-quality photography equipment to really capture the problems as you see them in person).
Old 08-16-10, 11:28 AM
CleverName
Pole Position

Originally Posted by khoab88
He said he can't keep fixing it
Sorry to hear the problems continue. Obviously you were unfortunate to choose such a poor shop. Did you dig deeper into any offered warranty?

My next step would be to visit another shop for an estimate of repairs, and to get another professional opinion of the situation.

Also can you clarify your comment quoted above? Have you taken this back to them before?

Vince
Old 08-16-10, 12:43 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Default re

Originally Posted by CleverName
Sorry to hear the problems continue. Obviously you were unfortunate to choose such a poor shop. Did you dig deeper into any offered warranty?

My next step would be to visit another shop for an estimate of repairs, and to get another professional opinion of the situation.

Also can you clarify your comment quoted above? Have you taken this back to them before?

Vince

My car originally has these blemishes caused by the pre-owner: severe rock chips and paint scratches on hood, a line dent on driver panel (~5 inches, need to be repainted,) and 2 small dings each on each passenger and rear left door panel. So they said they can do paintless dent repair (PDR) on the 2 small dings, then repaint the driver side panel and the hood. They offer me an entire package for $665, but when I picked up the car after repair, they surprisingly only charge me $600. The rep said he wanted to give me a good deal.

Friday late afternoon, I picked the car up. I still saw a few bubbles on the hood. It was only like a few, like 2-3 at that times. They were like air bubbles under the clear coat. I have notified the rep about the bubbles but he was like ignoring me about that. I kept telling him about the bubbles but he just kept waxing the car and kept saying like: "see your car look like a mirror now." I emphasized and pointed at the bubble and he just wiped off at the bubble and said: "oh it's just some dust," then he kept ignoring about that. Cuz the bubbles was so small and so I just excused it and drove the car home but I was not fully satisfied with the job.

I thought once someone with a professional paint skill opened a shop that big would work ethically, responsibly and not screwing people like this. They would focus on quality job, built good reputation for a long term business. So I had complete trust on them and complete confidence of the work.

Until saturday morning, I start installing HID, and I saw a small ding on the driver panel, the one they repainted. I was like WTF I didn't park anywhere other than my drive way. How the hell could it get there? And I couldn't contact them cuz it was saturday. I brought it back Monday morning and they denied it was their fault and offer me $40 to fix that small ding PDR. And I had no choice but to paid them $40 to get it fix. They did PDR in 5 minutes.

That's why today the rep was like: "we can't keep fixing your car.. every little detail."

I hate arguing with people that don't admit their fault when it obviously is. I mean if they admit it and get it done right I would be more happy and sing good words about them. Every body makes mistake once in a while. I mean why would they denied their fault when it's obviously theirs and said things like: "we can't keep fixing your car."

At this time I don't even trust their hands. I don't feel good even if they ok to repaint it again. Refunding money they wouldn't do it. How can a weak man refund your money when he already hold it? I'm gonna do the complaint to the BAR. I'm gonna take pics and keep all the receipts. I'm gonna spread words and ruin their reputation and also warn the community about their crappy unethical business conduct.
Old 08-16-10, 12:59 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive seen some guys who felt they were sold a lemon by dealerships, parade those large magnetic signs on their car telling everyone whta happened.

You could try that if its worth it to you.
Old 08-16-10, 01:23 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

seems like their website

www.fvbodyworks.com

According to the slide show, they warranty their repairs forever

Hmmm.