IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil Change / Filter Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 11:53 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahryar
...I bring my own oil and My past two oil changes have both been done at the Lexus dealer...
were you allowed to enter the bays and actually watch them pour the oil you brought into your car? if you cant see them put it in do not assume the oil in your car is the one you brought... get some shady ppl out there~
Old 09-21-10, 11:54 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
i recently bought the SST oil filter socket thingy~ freaking xpensive
The Assenmacher TOY640 sells for $10-15 and works superbly.
Old 09-21-10, 12:00 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i recently bought the SST oil filter socket thingy~ freaking xpensive
should of got one from autozone.. got mine for like $5. The size is oil filter wrench cap "F"
Old 09-21-10, 12:16 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
The Assenmacher TOY640 sells for $10-15 and works superbly.
haha too late now

Originally Posted by mong
should of got one from autozone.. got mine for like $5. The size is oil filter wrench cap "F"
been there done that~ it sux...
Old 09-21-10, 03:08 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were you allowed to enter the bays and actually watch them pour the oil you brought into your car? if you cant see them put it in do not assume the oil in your car is the one you brought... get some shady ppl out there~
I do have somewhat the same concern, not really because of shadiness but because of just plain forgetting (I don't think the Lexus dealer at least would try to steal my oil).

What I do to help ensure that the oil is going to get used is 1) make sure I leave it in the front seat when leavig my car w/ them and 2) ask for the empty bottles for rebate purposes.
Old 09-21-10, 05:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

My 2008 IS 350 is at over 32k miles and is due for an oil change. I go around 30k miles between oil changes and have pushed the Mobil 1 in it somewhere around 11k miles now...
Is this a typo? 30,000 miles? If you meant that, and you're not doing used oil analysis to determine if you really can go this long, I'd call this a first for Club Lexus. I wouldn't do it myself without sending samples at least every 5k after 10k to be sure the iron level isn't going through the roof and turning the oil into polishing compound. I'm a big proponent of extended oil change intervals, but if you're really going 30k between changes, well, WOW.
Old 09-21-10, 07:38 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^total typo, just fixed it to 10k. Haven't done a UOA yet (will on this next one - I have the kit to put the oil in). But from everything I've read, the 10k mark should be fine w/ Toyota's oil let alone Mobil 1. My past two oil changes were around 10k apart and no one said anything at the dealer so I'm assuming that's ok
Old 09-21-10, 08:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

^total typo, just fixed it to 10k. Haven't done a UOA yet (will on this next one - I have the kit to put the oil in). But from everything I've read, the 10k mark should be fine w/ Toyota's oil let alone Mobil 1. My past two oil changes were around 10k apart and no one said anything at the dealer so I'm assuming that's ok
Yes, 10k with Mobil 1 has been documented on this site with thumbs up from Blackstone for sure. I"m at 12k right now with the F. At 10 quarts per change, it's not hard to justify UOAs and extended drain intervals.
Old 09-22-10, 06:40 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

if 10k is documented and fine, when should I be doing the UOA? I figure the 11k I'm at isn't that big a deal too right?
Old 09-22-10, 10:49 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Believe it or not, Walmart is the best at that. You can watch them change the oil in the adjacent waiting gallery. So you know they are putting in what you asked for, specifically. And also see how good or bad of a job they are doing.
Old 09-22-10, 01:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

if 10k is documented and fine, when should I be doing the UOA? I figure the 11k I'm at isn't that big a deal too right?
You should do a UOA at least every other change. For an engine still under warranty and as new as yours, I'd do a UOA every 10k to validate the 10k OCI. If you're not following the manufacturer's recommended OCI, you'll need something to back up any claim if something goes wrong. Regular UOAs are good evidence you are not being cheap or negligent, just being prudent. It would be difficult for Lexus to challenge a warranty claim if you have this data. Without it, the ball is completely on their side because you've ignored their recommended maintenance schedule.
Old 09-22-10, 08:35 PM
intellis
Pole Position

i dont know what an UOA is but i will be sure to research it. I just went 9204 miles (6months) on my oil change. Too bad I cant remember what brand of oil i used.
Old 09-22-10, 08:52 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^ UOA is used oil analysis. I heard good things about blackstone so I had the container sent to me and will do it on my next one. Did you go 9204 miles on non-synthetic oil? From what I've heard, that's probably still ok. I remember in my 2004 Accord, the instruction manual itself not only said to go 10k miles (non-severe condiitons) in between oil changes with (I assume) regular honda oil - it also said the oil filter needed to be changed every 20k miles

Originally Posted by chikoo
Believe it or not, Walmart is the best at that. You can watch them change the oil in the adjacent waiting gallery. So you know they are putting in what you asked for, specifically. And also see how good or bad of a job they are doing.
+1. I first started going to walmart back in '05 or '06.. something around there when I got 4 new tires for my accord and heard walmart was the cheapest place to mount AND they gave you lifetime rotation and balance. So every 10k miles on that car, before moving onto my IS in Jan '09, I would take my accord for a rotation and balance and always hung around and watched and thought they always did a nice job. They'd always make chit chat with me too while they worked on my car, they were pretty cool

With my '08 IS 350, I had my winter tires mounted somewhere else but when it comes time to get new summer tires in the Spring, I think I'm going to take them to walmart - unless I get 19" IS-F rims and tires - I think walmart can't handle 19

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You should do a UOA at least every other change. For an engine still under warranty and as new as yours, I'd do a UOA every 10k to validate the 10k OCI. If you're not following the manufacturer's recommended OCI, you'll need something to back up any claim if something goes wrong. Regular UOAs are good evidence you are not being cheap or negligent, just being prudent. It would be difficult for Lexus to challenge a warranty claim if you have this data. Without it, the ball is completely on their side because you've ignored their recommended maintenance schedule.
Well I'm definitely doing a UOA on my next oil change. regarding warranty, I'm at 32k+ miles now so I only have warranty on my engine for another 4k miles right? (since I didn't buy the extended warranty)

Last edited by Shahryar; 09-22-10 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-22-10, 09:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No, your powertrain warranty is 5 years or 72k miles. You've got a long way to go.
Old 09-22-10, 09:36 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^ got it, so UOA's every other oil change assuming I keep pushing around 10k miles (which I plan to)

Quick Reply: Oil Change / Filter Question