IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil Change / Filter Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 06:28 AM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Change / Filter Question

It is becoming inconvient to take my car to Toyota to get the oil change and since baby number 2 just arrived I don't have the time currently to change the oil myself.

I called a local shop that has done some work before. They said they use Napa Gold oil filters. My question is should I Just take the 2 hours it takes to go to Toyota and get an oil change or should I go local?

Thanks.
Old 08-26-10, 06:50 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

You can always order the filter (get a couple if you do) from any Toyota/Lexus and have them mailed to you, and any shop should be OK with using your own parts...I would not use a Napa anything on these cars...
Old 08-26-10, 07:25 AM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am just taking it to Toyota but would still like additional comments on type of oil and oil filters? I read toyota oil is Mobile not sure if that is true or not.
Old 08-26-10, 07:29 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Toyota's bottled oil is produced by Mobile...you can search for some good threads here about owner's opinions on oil weight and type...I use Amsoil and stick with 5w30, just like the oil cap states...
Old 08-26-10, 09:21 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DOUGLis350
It is becoming inconvient to take my car to Toyota to get the oil change and since baby number 2 just arrived I don't have the time currently to change the oil myself.

I called a local shop that has done some work before. They said they use Napa Gold oil filters. My question is should I Just take the 2 hours it takes to go to Toyota and get an oil change or should I go local?

Thanks.
any shop can do an oil change its so easy. just use Mobil oil and filter. no need to use specific toyota/lexus products
Old 08-26-10, 10:33 AM
PandaBear
Driver

I saw the Purolator filters and while their quality seems ok, the height aren't the same as the OEM filter. Not sure if it makes a difference.
Old 08-26-10, 04:09 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

My personal mechanic whos been one for probably 30 years uses a Napa Gold oil filter on my car. Napa is a respectable aftermarket company. There are certain things like an oil filter which is fine for the car. I wouldnt put Napa spark plugs or more important things like that in my car. My mechanic has no problem with me bringing my own parts to him for installation. He would have told me to pick up a filter from Lexus to use if that were the case. You see when you buy parts from Lexus they come in a toyota box. While the computer of our cars are more sophisticated then a toyota. Alot of the common parts are the same. The quality doesnt differ much from a dealer part to SOME respectable aftermarket parts.
Old 08-26-10, 04:36 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe Napa gold filter are made by WIX which is pretty much above average brand and highly preferred..
Old 08-26-10, 11:58 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^yup. napa gold/wix and pure one are some of the best filters out there. some of the bosch are good too since they're made by purolator.
Old 09-21-10, 09:19 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is an oem oil filter from a Toyota dealership going to be the same oem filter from a Lexus dealership? I need an oil change today. The Toyota dealership is 10mins away while the Lexus dealerships is an hour away. I dont mind the hour drive if they are going to use the right filter.
Old 09-21-10, 09:37 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by intellis
Is an oem oil filter from a Toyota dealership going to be the same oem filter from a Lexus dealership? I need an oil change today. The Toyota dealership is 10mins away while the Lexus dealerships is an hour away. I dont mind the hour drive if they are going to use the right filter.
Yes. Same part. In fact the filter you get from the Lexus dealer says "Toyota" on the box, not "Lexus".
Old 09-21-10, 09:55 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Bichon THANK YOU!
You have save me and 135 mile trip and a lot of frustration thank you very much.
Old 09-21-10, 10:34 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i recently bought the SST oil filter socket thingy~ freaking xpensive
Old 09-21-10, 11:28 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jetfire
^yup. napa gold/wix and pure one are some of the best filters out there. some of the bosch are good too since they're made by purolator.
Does the same apply for WIX Cabin / Engine Air Filters?
Old 09-21-10, 11:49 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

My 2008 IS 350 is at over 32k miles and is due for an oil change. I go around 10k miles between oil changes and have pushed the Mobil 1 in it somewhere around 11k miles now.

I bring my own oil and My past two oil changes have both been done at the Lexus dealer. The cost of the last one was $43ish - assuming it was the same for the one before.

For my next oil change, maybe I'll take it to toyota and see if it can be done for cheaper there. But for this one, I want to take it to lexus and just get it done because I have to deal w/ the safety mat recall thing I got a letter for.

Originally Posted by quick123
You can always order the filter (get a couple if you do) from any Toyota/Lexus and have them mailed to you, and any shop should be OK with using your own parts..
I should do this too and stock up on some oil filters for my IS. Firestone doesn't let you bring in your own stuff anymore apparently so that's one place that I frequent which is out (Was thinking of getting lifetime alignment there to so I could get both oil change and alignment done at one place every 10k miles).

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
i recently bought the SST oil filter socket thingy~ freaking xpensive
I've been wanting to start doing my own oil changes in my car for a while - also my wife and family's cars too - all Hondas.

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
Does the same apply for WIX Cabin / Engine Air Filters?
I myself have just put in blitz air and cabin air filters in my car not too long ago. I know the cabin air filter is reusable after washing (have to get details on how to go about this) but I think even the air filter is reusable after a cleaning to a degree too, have to double check that.

Last edited by Shahryar; 09-21-10 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Change / Filter Question