IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: How many of you guys have nav and don't have it?
With Navigation
70.34%
without navigation
29.66%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

poll. nav or no nav?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 06:08 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a luxury car, having a Navi is a luxury option.

Having a portable tomtom on your lexus, bimmer or mercedes's windshield is ghetto by today's standards.
Old 09-05-10, 11:59 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
They cost $30 and would rather have my navigation sit either on the far left side of my window or underneath the mirror when I plug in my AC adapter. Just a personal preference.
You paid $2500 for the OEM nav versus 100-200 for a Garmin and you're gonna suggest the $30 mount for the Garmin makes it expensive?

That's even sillier than your "6 ounces is too heavy" argument...

But it's weird you prefer it mounted on the side...given the OEM nav you like so much is in the middle... apparently being able to put it where you want it would be yet another advantage of the Garmin

I had a spanking deal on my IS350. I tried to build my own IS350 since they were so limited but the downside is that they wouldn't budge with the pricing if I were to build my own. I was able to get invoice on my car which I think was like $5000 or $6000 off window price.
Yeah, you had a crap dealer... I understand that's common for special ordering with lexus though... I was lucky enough to find one offering a deal similar to yours, even on a special order exactly how I wanted it though.

Why would someone pay $2500 for something they don't want or need then?
because like I said, most of the ones on the lot come that way (since it's a high profit item for Lexus) and as you just noted a lot of dealers will only offer "good" pricing on whatever they have sitting around on the lot... hence I suspect many ended up with nav because that's what the dealer had.

Regardless you paid around $80 per HP for the Tanabe. Power that you won't even feel at all.
And a nicer sound too... and a better look... you just told us a better look was worth $2500, and that added 0 hp!

Yet is still missing some key features like back up camera and the convenience of the OEM navigation.
Again, you can easily hook up a backup camera to display on an aftermarket nav... and still pay a ton less than OEM. I didn't since I have no use for one, but for those who do it's certainly available without going OEM.

Convenience is debatable since I find a device that actually does a lot more and can be taken on airplanes with me (or on foot if walking an unfamiliar downtime) a lot more "convenient" than a device that does less and is stuck in my dashboard even when I'm going someplace without the car.

These unit aren't cheap. I paid $350-$400 for mine not too long ago. I definitely want to keep this thing in prestige condition so I can resell it in the future.
Seems pretty high to me... I certainly paid a ton less for mine, but I tend to find pretty good deals...

Still though, you could've bought 7 of em at $350 before you were spending about the same as the OEM nav. (not to mention the $99 lifetime updates versus $300/yr for Lexus)...

Where as my TomTom has scratches every where.
Maybe Tomtom uses crap materials, I dunno... I'm on my second Garmin in about 10 years though, never using a case, just storing in the center console... I sold the first one as pristine, and the second still is too a couple years in.

You still need to hide the friction mount. These things aren't small.
They aren't big either... but you thought 6 ounces was really heavy, so your perspective might be off.

I forgot I even lock my glove box. Rather be safe than sorry.
Do you live in a really high crime area or something? That might explain what seems like being overly paranoid...

If they break into the car physically it's unlikely they'd be unwilling to pop a glovebox lock.

They are way more bulkier than a iphone.
They really aren't.

Again I think you have a perspective problem...or really really small pockets.

Mine is 4.8"W x 3.0"H x .8"D

The 3G and 3G iphones are 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.48 inches

So respectively the Garmin is .3 inches wider, .6 inches taller, and .32 inches thicker.

That's really, really, not "way bulkier"

In fact, it's smaller in height and width than some other smart phones are... the HTC EVO for example is 4.8x2.6.

The thing don't even fit inside my pocket. So you would expect people to carry it around town when you are traveling then what do you do when your not using it?

Actually I got the app for free. I have a jailbreak iphone.
Oh, you mean you stole the app. I'm sure that makes TomTom feel better than you're using their app without paying for it, but I'm not sure recommending theft is really the way to go.

Maybe if you'd skipped the $2500 OEM nav you could've paid the nice people for their work instead :P

Also got a $1 window mount for my iphone works perfectly.
You got a $1 mount that ties into the factory stereo and mounts your phone on the dash without leaving any marks?

Got any links to this wonder product?

Ironically, I had less signal issue on the phone than the Garmin.
That would be ironic...I mean, unlikely, given the Garmin has a vastly superior GPS receiver/antenna.

No problem with sound. Jailbreak iphone allows you to tweak with the volume controls btw. But I still don't need that because the OEM volume is plenty loud.
You earlier suggested the Garmin (which is significantly louder than the iphone) was too quiet for bluetooth phone calls to work well...now magically the iphone volume is great?

Originally Posted by Initial_K
It's a luxury car, having a Navi is a luxury option.

Having a portable tomtom on your lexus, bimmer or mercedes's windshield is ghetto by today's standards.
Do you really need me to quote the USA Today article that points out built in nav is kinda like the built-in phones in older cars? By the time you sell the car it's vastly outdated and not worth much compared to a cheap aftermarket unit.

Anyway, I don't object to OEM nav as a whole... when I was cross-shopping Infinit they offered a Nav system in the G sedan, for 07 models even, that was vastly superior to the Lexus offering (HD based, realtime traffic, etc) and it was half the price of the Lexus nav too. If I'd gotten the G I would've gotten nav in it, since it wasn't outdated or nearly as overpriced as the Lexus one.

To all the folks with the $2500 already sunk, if you want to give reasons you're happy with it, go right ahead... (just try to make em better than "a 6 ounce Garmin is too heavy" or "I prefer my phone that isn't really much smaller, does less, and has a smaller screen"...and as I said the 2010+ version is actually halfway decent, though still missing features... But my advice for pre-2010 buyers is still to avoid that overpriced outdated OEM unit if possible.

Last edited by Kurtz; 09-06-10 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-06-10, 01:37 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=Kurtz;5767377]
You paid $2500 for the OEM nav versus 100-200 for a Garmin and you're gonna suggest the $30 mount for the Garmin makes it expensive?

That's even sillier than your "6 ounces is too heavy" argument...
I can't justify paying a extra $30 for something that I don't use on a daily basis. I have stated that the Garmin is pretty useless already since it is pretty inconvenient to take it out every time I hop into the car. However, on the other hand, OEM navigation has useful features for daily use which don't exist on a Garmin.

Yeah, you had a crap dealer... I understand that's common for special ordering with lexus though... I was lucky enough to find one offering a deal similar to yours, even on a special order exactly how I wanted it though.
Congrats. Wonder how long you had to wait for your car to be special made?

because like I said, most of the ones on the lot come that way (since it's a high profit item for Lexus) and as you just noted a lot of dealers will only offer "good" pricing on whatever they have sitting around on the lot... hence I suspect many ended up with nav because that's what the dealer had.
Or buyers prefer to actually have the navigation equipped in their cars?

And a nicer sound too... and a better look... you just told us a better look was worth $2500, and that added 0 hp!
If you want a better look GFX tips only cost $40.

I guess you can't remember what you were arguing about few hours ago. If this discussion is about how much better a navigation looks it would of ended long time ago.

Again, you can easily hook up a backup camera to display on an aftermarket nav... and still pay a ton less than OEM. I didn't since I have no use for one, but for those who do it's certainly available without going OEM.
Where? Show me a better solution than the OEM navigation that is actually reliable? Does it have warranty also?

They aren't big either... but you thought 6 ounces was really heavy, so your perspective might be off.
Comparing an iphone with a case and a Garmin with a case it is in fact heavier and bulkier. Therefore I noted previously when I am not using it

Do you live in a really high crime area or something? That might explain what seems like being overly paranoid...

If they break into the car physically it's unlikely they'd be unwilling to pop a glovebox lock.
Actually I do live in a high crime area. But having a $350 item I rather take precautions.

It would buy more time for sure. The longer they take = the higher chance of them getting caught. Not to mention, I do have a 2 way alarm. If my windows get smashed and I am within the 2 mile radius my key fob will alert me. That is only if I used a GPS in my IS350.

They really aren't.

Again I think you have a perspective problem...or really really small pockets.

Mine is 4.8"W x 3.0"H x .8"D

The 3G and 3G iphones are 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.48 inches

So respectively the Garmin is .3 inches wider, .6 inches taller, and .32 inches thicker.
That's really, really, not "way bulkier"
In fact, it's smaller in height and width than some other smart phones are... the HTC EVO for example is 4.8x2.6.
I think you forgot that I carry my Garmin with the cover. (Mentioned it a couple times already)

And I do have small pockets. Even my iphone has a tight fit.

Oh, you mean you stole the app. I'm sure that makes TomTom feel better than you're using their app without paying for it, but I'm not sure recommending theft is really the way to go.

Maybe if you'd skipped the $2500 OEM nav you could've paid the nice people for their work instead :P
Thanks but no thanks.

You got a $1 mount that ties into the factory stereo and mounts your phone on the dash without leaving any marks?

Got any links to this wonder product?
Why would I need my phone to be connected to the factory stereo? It does have a AUX jack if I ever need to listen to directions on the speakers but it would have too much wires dangling everywhere just like any Garmin.

Why would it matter if it leaves mark or not? I clean them off every time I park if I use my suction mount. I don't use them on a daily basis as I noted at least 5 times. I only use it when I need it.

That would be ironic...I mean, unlikely, given the Garmin has a vastly superior GPS receiver/antenna.
It is so superior that it has problem tracing my car's location. For instance, I take a exit on the freeway and the Garmin still thinks I am on the freeway. If the Garmin is so much better than the OEM navigation, why wouldn't it come with the feature that most OEM navigation has that you explained.

dead reckoning since it's hooked into the speedometer and knows which way it's going.
You earlier suggested the Garmin (which is significantly louder than the iphone) was too quiet for bluetooth phone calls to work well...now magically the iphone volume is great?
Hmm.. I looked over the thread for 5 minutes and can't find anything about being too quiet.

This is the only thing I found that is close to being too quiet and it's not even close.

I don't either but people seem to complain more about the sound quality on the Garmin than on OEM navigation.

To all the folks with the $2500 already sunk, if you want to give reasons you're happy with it, go right ahead... (just try to make em better than "a 6 ounce Garmin is too heavy" or "I prefer my phone that isn't really much smaller, does less, and has a smaller screen"...and as I said the 2010+ version is actually halfway decent, though still missing features... But my advice for pre-2010 buyers is still to avoid that overpriced outdated OEM unit if possible.
So all of a sudden you can justify paying $2500 on something that has real time traffic and a HDD? It seems like you are better off buying a G in the beginning. I have considered buying the G37 and their forums has people that think just like you. They told me that navigation is a waste of money and told me to just use a portable navi. Maybe a Lexus isn't the right car for you. Since the G is more sporty oriented. Seems like your going after something more sporty than something luxury.
Old 09-06-10, 07:18 AM
Imnutz4jdm
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by uaaction
^^^^^^ please do tell me how does it suck cuz i love it!!!
u kno wat i ll get the navi in my IS-F
Old 09-06-10, 10:32 AM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

I have NAVI,
i don't know what i'd do without it.
Old 09-06-10, 12:06 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
Geez, this is one epic debate. Seriously though, like Javy and I said, it's mostly for aesthetics and convenience (and the DVD changer if you have ML), two things people are willing to pay significant amounts of money for. There's no right or wrong here, just do what makes you happy.
Wow, epic indeed, I am getting a headache by reading these back and forth, Just like Javy and Brociouz said, (aesthetics and Convenience), No right nor wrong, I am happy I got mine with the NAV though.
Old 09-06-10, 12:58 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I can't justify paying a extra $30 for something that I don't use on a daily basis.
Yet you paid $2500 for something despite the fact you said you don't use nav 95% of the time.

But $30 is too much.

Must be the new math.

Congrats. Wonder how long you had to wait for your car to be special made?
2.5 months. And I got exactly the car I wanted.

I can't figure out people who spend 35-40k on a car and do not get exactly what they want.

Does it have warranty also?
Wait, did you do the nav hack on your OEM system? If so then you don't have warranty either.

If not, then your system cripples itself when the car is moving, which kinda sucks.

Comparing an iphone with a case and a Garmin with a case it is in fact heavier and bulkier.
Yes, but as I explained the case is just silly.

2 garmins over about 8 years use, no case ever, and neither has a scratch on it.

I suppose you encase your iPhone in carbonite since you apparently beat the hell out of everything you own?

Thanks but no thanks.
Seriously, if your reply to "the iphone app costs money" really is "No it doesn't because I stole it" the same can apply to the Garmin.

It's free! as long as you sneak it past store security!

Heck, the OEM system is free as long as you steal a car with one, based on your logic!

Why would I need my phone to be connected to the factory stereo?
So you can hear it?

You stated you had problems using bluetooth on the Garmin, despite it being louder than an iphones volume... so I figured you had trouble hearing basic speakers and would need the help.

It does have a AUX jack if I ever need to listen to directions on the speakers but it would have too much wires dangling everywhere just like any Garmin.
No, actually, the garmin (well, mine and many others) can also go over the car speakers with a built-in FM transmitter... no wires required.

Why would it matter if it leaves mark or not? I clean them off every time I park if I use my suction mount.
Because it's a lot faster to use a friction mount that doesn't leave marks and doesn't require you wiping down the window or dash every single time you use it.

In fact having to do that is one of your complaints about the Garmin...and it's yet another on your list of silly complaints because you shouldn't be using that mount in the first place.

It is so superior that it has problem tracing my car's location. For instance, I take a exit on the freeway and the Garmin still thinks I am on the freeway. If the Garmin is so much better than the OEM navigation, why wouldn't it come with the feature that most OEM navigation has that you explained.
That's kinda funny actually... since in another recent thread on the OEM GPS the complaint was about how it always got the cars location wrong... and when I mentioned there was a TSIB that corrects it (and it only happens on an 06) another poster, with an 08, mentioned how superior his Garmin was at knowing his exact location, while the OEM system was often off a bit in comparison.

I really think you just have a defective Garmin since this is the second or third criticism you've had of it that disagrees with every single other person I've heard who owns one.

Maybe you ought check if it's still under warranty? Unless you acquired it like you did your iphone app...

So all of a sudden you can justify paying $2500 on something that has real time traffic and a HDD?
Moreso than lacking those features and still being DVD based for the price yes. And apparently Lexus agreed since they finally updated the system for 2010 models.... years after their competition had done so.

Lexus is ahead on some things, but teletronics and such is not one of em.

Maybe it's a weird idea to you that you shouldn't buy outdated technology for 10 times what it's actually worth?

Is it because you tend to just use stuff without paying for it anyway so your perception of value is skewed?

It seems like you are better off buying a G in the beginning. I have considered buying the G37 and their forums has people that think just like you. They told me that navigation is a waste of money and told me to just use a portable navi. Maybe a Lexus isn't the right car for you. Since the G is more sporty oriented. Seems like your going after something more sporty than something luxury.
As I said, Lexus is ahead in some things, and not in others... in this case it would be 2010 before the $2500 Lexus nav had caught up to the $1300 one offered in the Infiniti back in 2007. On the other side the coin the overall interior quality was better in the Lexus, and the G didn't have vented seats.

I'm still not sure how sitting in traffic because your antique OEM unit didn't know about it, versus my Garmin that routed me around it so I'm already where I'm going, is "luxury"

Is it because you get to enjoy the vented seats while sitting there going nowhere?

I realize there's a class of people who are sure that paying more for less qualifies as "luxury" but I thought most of em buy BMWs... maybe that's what you should've gotten!

Last edited by Kurtz; 09-06-10 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-07-10, 01:07 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Yet you paid $2500 for something despite the fact you said you don't use nav 95% of the time.

But $30 is too much.

Must be the new math.
I do use back up camera everyday. Approximately 10 times a day. However, I don't use the Garmin 95% of the time. Other functions that I put to good use is the MP3 CD song list. It makes it a lot easier locating a specific song instead of waiting of going through the title one by one.

Wait, did you do the nav hack on your OEM system? If so then you don't have warranty either.

If not, then your system cripples itself when the car is moving, which kinda sucks.
I actually use to have the nav hack adapter. No cutting wires what so ever. Since I barely use my navigation I decided to sell it. Even brought my car to Lexus to fix my CD player jam without any problems nor voiding my warranty.

Yes, but as I explained the case is just silly.

2 garmins over about 8 years use, no case ever, and neither has a scratch on it.

I suppose you encase your iPhone in carbonite since you apparently beat the hell out of everything you own?
I wish they come with something that tough. But my Seido Innocase will do for now. After 1 year of ownership no scratch.

Who knows if one day I accidentally drop the navi/iPhone on the floor and a screen cracks? Like I said before, I rather be safe than sorry.

Also, if you didn't know, iPhone is more fragile than car paint. Without a cover, the back of the iPhone will be all scratched regardless.

Seriously, if your reply to "the iphone app costs money" really is "No it doesn't because I stole it" the same can apply to the Garmin.

It's free! as long as you sneak it past store security!

Heck, the OEM system is free as long as you steal a car with one, based on your logic!
Seems like your running out of stuff to say. Now you are lecturing me about how I acquire my applications? HAha. Good one.

Btw, it is perfectly legal to Jailbreak your phone now. But you can start a new thread in OT to talk about your views on people jailbreaking their phones.

So you can hear it?

You stated you had problems using bluetooth on the Garmin, despite it being louder than an iphones volume... so I figured you had trouble hearing basic speakers and would need the help.
I guess you don't understand the difference between sound quality and quietness. Once again, I never stated that the Garmin is too soft.

Because it's a lot faster to use a friction mount that doesn't leave marks and doesn't require you wiping down the window or dash every single time you use it.

In fact having to do that is one of your complaints about the Garmin...and it's yet another on your list of silly complaints because you shouldn't be using that mount in the first place.
I guess you don't understand that I stated that I don't use navigation 95% of the time about 5 times. I only need use it when I need it. And I sure don't mind wiping off the suction cups off the window because that is only the 5% I ever use the navigation. But if I would have to do this on a daily basis. No thanks.

Seriously, can you honestly tell me that you use your Garmin every time you hop in the car?

That's kinda funny actually... since in another recent thread on the OEM GPS the complaint was about how it always got the cars location wrong... and when I mentioned there was a TSIB that corrects it (and it only happens on an 06) another poster, with an 08, mentioned how superior his Garmin was at knowing his exact location, while the OEM system was often off a bit in comparison.

I really think you just have a defective Garmin since this is the second or third criticism you've had of it that disagrees with every single other person I've heard who owns one.
No problem here on my 08 IS350. Can't speak for any other years though.
Maybe you ought check if it's still under warranty? Unless you acquired it like you did your iphone app...
Purchased on Amazon. Ouch, sorry if I hurt your feelings for getting all the applications for free while you have to pay for your

Moreso than lacking those features and still being DVD based for the price yes. And apparently Lexus agreed since they finally updated the system for 2010 models.... years after their competition had done so.

Lexus is ahead on some things, but teletronics and such is not one of em.
Maybe you should try the BMW idrive or the Mercedes, Acura navigation. The Lexus navigation is light years away from them.
Maybe it's a weird idea to you that you shouldn't buy outdated technology for 10 times what it's actually worth?

Is it because you tend to just use stuff without paying for it anyway so your perception of value is skewed?
I must really touched your soft spot. Still can't get over the fact that I get free applications on my phone? Poor guy..

I'm still not sure how sitting in traffic because your antique OEM unit didn't know about it, versus my Garmin that routed me around it so I'm already where I'm going, is "luxury"

Is it because you get to enjoy the vented seats while sitting there going nowhere?
Definitely. Vented seats and watch a movie on my navigation while stuck in traffic.

I realize there's a class of people who are sure that paying more for less qualifies as "luxury" but I thought most of em buy BMWs... maybe that's what you should've gotten!
Oh, don't worry about it. I do have one.

Last edited by smokyis350; 09-07-10 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-07-10, 06:11 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Deros
4. Can't make phone calls on the go unless it is in your speed dial. Once again, what if your passenger, in this case my wife, has her phone paired to the car. She has to dial using her phone instead of the on screen dialing. Annoying.

So far there is no easy trick to over ride the "safe guards".
Not defending the nav nannies (which I hate) but you can use the voice recognition system and "Dial by Name".

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Now, if you have kids who might leave crap all over the driveway behind you, or might be on the driveway behind you, I understand the desire for the backup cam more... otherwise even when I've had it in a loaner I've paid it no attention whatsoever.
The backup camera is a safety feature. It lets you see small children and pets that might be hiding in your blind spot.
Old 09-07-10, 07:45 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I do use back up camera everyday. Approximately 10 times a day. However, I don't use the Garmin 95% of the time.
So you paid $2500 for a backup cam then? Seems silly since aftermarket ones are 1/10th that... heck, professionally installed ones would be a couple grand cheaper.

Since you don't use the actual nav part of the nav 95% of the time you could've bought a pro-installed aftermarket backup camera and a Garmin for the 5% of the time you need it and been thousands of dollars ahead.

Btw, it is perfectly legal to Jailbreak your phone now. But you can start a new thread in OT to talk about your views on people jailbreaking their phones.
but it's not legal to steal GPS software...which is what you said you did rather than pay for it on your iphone... You remember, when I mentioned the TomTom software on your iphone cost money and you said no it didn't since you're jailbroken?

So since stealing is ok by you a Garmin is just as free, since you could steal that too.

(Jailbreaking also violates the warranty terms on the phone since you seem so concerned about warranty, but I guess you can just steal a new phone if yours breaks, right?)

I guess you don't understand that I stated that I don't use navigation 95% of the time about 5 times. I only need use it when I need it.
Seriously, can you honestly tell me that you use your Garmin every time you hop in the car?
No, I don't. Like you I only use nav when I need it, which isn't most of the time.

That's why it seemed kinda dumb to pay $2500 for a nav system I wouldn't use a ton when I could get a better one for $150.

Ouch, sorry if I hurt your feelings for getting all the applications for free while you have to pay for your
No, it doesn't hurt my feelings that you steal your software.

It probably hurts the families of the people who wrote the software though... but I suppose those don't matter much to you.

Maybe you should try the BMW idrive or the Mercedes, Acura navigation. The Lexus navigation is light years away from them.
The fact some people manage to make even crappier software than Lexus is hardly a ringing endorsement

I must really touched your soft spot. Still can't get over the fact that I get free applications on my phone? Poor guy..
If you have to steal software I'm not sure I'm the poor one...

Maybe if you hadn't blown the $2500 on OEM nav you could pay others for their work instead of just stealing it?

Definitely. Vented seats and watch a movie on my navigation while stuck in traffic.
Ah, so you watch movies while driving too... a thief and a reckless driver... nice combo.

You said you removed your hack though, so how're you watching movies on the nav system while driving again?
Old 09-07-10, 08:21 AM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

Like someone mentioned. Fly audio navigation are having issues and problems. It wouldn't be financially smart to change something that big in the car without having proper warranty. One year ago, my CD jammed. If I didn't have warranty on the car it would cost $500 in labor to repair. I don't even know what happens if your CD gets jammed in one of those Fly audio. It is not a OEM part so Lexus will not service it. So would you have to ship the whole navigation back to Fly Audio to repair?
I am not sure where you are getting your information, but I would check your facts. The FlyAudio systems are working exactly the same today as they were 10 months ago when we started selling them. Nothing has changed accept we have sold more and more of them. Since you are speaking hypothetically, if your FlyAudio CD/DVD/MP3 player got jammed and it was due to a problem with the FlyAudio, you would send it back to me and I would swap it out for you (free of charge, under warranty). In the last 10 months, out of the hundreds of units we have sold, I have only exchanged 1 system to date for a CD changer issue.

This is a great thread and has alot of owners opinions that have the factory system (doesn't seem like too many FlyAudio owners are chiming in). I think both systems have their advantages and disadvantages, so it is really up to each buyer as to what is most important to them. The more options to choose from the better, in my opinion.

As always, I am happy to answer any questions that people may have. Thanks!
Old 09-08-10, 01:15 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
So you paid $2500 for a backup cam then? Seems silly since aftermarket ones are 1/10th that... heck, professionally installed ones would be a couple grand cheaper.

Since you don't use the actual nav part of the nav 95% of the time you could've bought a pro-installed aftermarket backup camera and a Garmin for the 5% of the time you need it and been thousands of dollars ahead.
Where can I find this back up camera? Where are you going to mount the screen? After labor and parts, I really doubt it will be couple grand cheaper.

but it's not legal to steal GPS software...which is what you said you did rather than pay for it on your iphone... You remember, when I mentioned the TomTom software on your iphone cost money and you said no it didn't since you're jailbroken?

So since stealing is ok by you a Garmin is just as free, since you could steal that too.
Is this thread about how I acquire my applications on the iPhone? Like I said before, this thread is about navigation not about jailbreaking. You can make a new thread in off topic if you like but you are just derailing this thread even more.

(Jailbreaking also violates the warranty terms on the phone since you seem so concerned about warranty, but I guess you can just steal a new phone if yours breaks, right?)
What warranty? My warranty has been long gone. One year manufacture warranty through Apple if you didn't know.

Even if something went wrong with my jailbreak phone. I can easily restore it through itunes. I have 3 jailbreak iphones and have no issue so far and I am pretty sure barely anyone does either since I am a member on the jailbreak forums for iphone.
No, I don't. Like you I only use nav when I need it, which isn't most of the time.
That's why it seemed kinda dumb to pay $2500 for a nav system I wouldn't use a ton when I could get a better one for $150.
Then how are you going to use your favorite option live time traffic?

No, it doesn't hurt my feelings that you steal your software.

It probably hurts the families of the people who wrote the software though... but I suppose those don't matter much to you.
And somehow that concerns you? If anything, it should be the developer that should be complaining not you. Whatever that helps you sleep better at night.
If you have to steal software I'm not sure I'm the poor one...

Maybe if you hadn't blown the $2500 on OEM nav you could pay others for their work instead of just stealing it?
Seriously, why so mad though? You sound like you are losing sleep over this..It is just the internet forum if that makes you feel any better. Still can't get over the fact that I get free apps huh?

You have turned this thread upside down into a debate about jailbreaking. Why don't you focus on this thread's topic instead of derailing it any further?
Ah, so you watch movies while driving too... a thief and a reckless driver... nice combo.
Oh no, some guy on the internet forum is calling me a thief and a reckless driver. Maybe I should go cry myself to sleep now.

You said you removed your hack though, so how're you watching movies on the nav system while driving again?
Maybe because I have something called Navtool?
Old 09-08-10, 01:28 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Automax Service
I am not sure where you are getting your information, but I would check your facts. The FlyAudio systems are working exactly the same today as they were 10 months ago when we started selling them. Nothing has changed accept we have sold more and more of them. Since you are speaking hypothetically, if your FlyAudio CD/DVD/MP3 player got jammed and it was due to a problem with the FlyAudio, you would send it back to me and I would swap it out for you (free of charge, under warranty). In the last 10 months, out of the hundreds of units we have sold, I have only exchanged 1 system to date for a CD changer issue.

This is a great thread and has alot of owners opinions that have the factory system (doesn't seem like too many FlyAudio owners are chiming in). I think both systems have their advantages and disadvantages, so it is really up to each buyer as to what is most important to them. The more options to choose from the better, in my opinion.

As always, I am happy to answer any questions that people may have. Thanks!
Why the direct attack on me?

I am simply just reapplying what someone else already said.

Before you go adding Flyaudio, read this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-350-a-63.html

Pretty messed up that they do not support their product less than a year of being released. Do your due diligence before spending close to $2000 for the unit and install.

The OEM NAV is by far the best option IMO, I would not buy another Luxury car that has no OEM NAV on it.
Here are more examples which lies in your own thread:

Kenwood DNX8120. It's still the most bang for the buck I've found. Oh yea, and it's bluetooth works amazingly, the ipod interface is ready to go, and it has outputs built in for external amps, a built in multiband EQ, and it can even play non-burned DVD's without them getting stuck. SWEEET! ha

Play some catch up FlyAudio.
Anyways, regarding the CD jam. That is sure a lot of hassle. What if people have these things professionally installed. To install the unit then when a CD jams in the unit you would have to pay them to uninstall the unit then ship it back to you? When you are done fixing the unit the shop would have to install it again? That is a lot of... labor.
Old 09-08-10, 06:19 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Is this thread about how I acquire my applications on the iPhone? Like I said before, this thread is about navigation not about jailbreaking. You can make a new thread in off topic if you like but you are just derailing this thread even more.
It came up because I mentioned the tomtom software on your phone costs money just like the Garmin does, hence you have to "count" that when comparing the two options.

Your response was "no it doesn't because I steal my software"

And you can't seem to understand how insane a reply that is.

You can steal the garmin too, so then that's also free.

You can steal a Lexus too, so I guess the car was also free.

I mean, a lot of stuff is free when you're a thief. The relevance of it seems to keep flying well over your head though.

I understand why you seem so paranoid about having your stuff stolen though.... when you go around stealing all the time it's understandable you expect everyone else does too.

Where can I find this back up camera? Where are you going to mount the screen? After labor and parts, I really doubt it will be couple grand cheaper.
The screen is the same dash-mount GPS.

Just off-hand:

http://www.4ucam.com/GPS-Wireless-Ba...arview-IR.html

that's with 30 seconds of looking. If you actually put some time into it you could find "nicer" ones, but that one also offers features the old lexus GPS doesn't (speaks all the street names for example) plus includes a wireless backup camera... all for $250. The "labor" would be maybe 30 minutes to wire the reverse lights to trigger the camera display. So yeah, a couple grand less.

I imagine if you wanted to use the OEM camera (and mount location) you could do that too with any GPS that took a video input, but you might only save $1500 over the OEM system instead of $2000 or something.

Or you can just steal one from a store... then it's free!

Well, I guess you'd still have to pay for the install... but you can always steal the money to pay for that, right?

Maybe because I have something called Navtool?
Which again requires wiring aftermarket parts into your car, exactly the kinda thing you said you did not want to do for warranty reasons.
Old 09-08-10, 08:00 AM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

Why the direct attack on me?

I am simply just reapplying what someone else already said.

Here are more examples which lies in your own thread:

Anyways, regarding the CD jam. That is sure a lot of hassle. What if people have these things professionally installed. To install the unit then when a CD jams in the unit you would have to pay them to uninstall the unit then ship it back to you? When you are done fixing the unit the shop would have to install it again? That is a lot of... labor.
I am not attacking anyone, I am simply saying check your facts before you make a blanket statement regarding all FlyAudios based on YOUR experience with YOUR factory navigation and a problem that YOU had (nothing to do with FlyAudio or any other aftermarket navigation). Since I know the 1 member who you are referring to, I can say with confidence that he did not get rid of the FlyAudio because of FlyAudio's business decisions, he got rid of it because he was looking for a system that would satisfy his aftermarket stereo needs (among other reasons.)

I agree that people should do their due diligence before making a big purchase (FlyAudio or not), but I hope they look a little farther than 1 members post. I have hundreds of happy clients (some of which who post here and some of which who don't) that are more than satisfied with the experience that FlyAudio offers.

Quick Reply: poll. nav or no nav?