IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How easy is it to steal an IS

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10 | 10:23 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SnoWite350
I read somewhere that it could be done with a computer. Now, I'm not sure how difficult or how long it would take, but I guess it's possible.
I doubt it can be done that easily. I'm positive that the key fobs are encrypted.

It's hard to steal our cars but it is VERY easy to steal parts from our cars. The alarm system is useless.

The only way to steal it is tow it as Sffd103 said.
Old 09-02-10 | 10:49 PM
650IS350
Lead Lap

Unless they have a blank keyfob and know your factory settings for your immobilzer and reprogram that into the blank keyfob. Just like when you loose your key fob and the dealer would have to delete it from your cars memory to not accept the lost one and accept the new one.
Old 09-02-10 | 11:03 PM
Micaiah

That's it. My car is NEVER being driven again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-10 | 11:06 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

^^^^^^^ lol
Old 09-02-10 | 11:16 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Micaiah
That's it. My car is NEVER being driven again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't worry... I doubt it'll be that easy to wipe off the keys from the ECU and reprogram it with another legit key. You'll at least need the Lexus programming computer and tools which is not easy to come by.

Most car thieves will move on to easier targets.

Here's a list:

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/a...california.asp

These cars don't have imobilizers.
Old 09-03-10 | 01:33 AM
flexthatdx
Intermediate

If the thieves want your car, they will get it. Just buy full coverage and you'll be set.
Old 09-03-10 | 01:57 AM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

lo jack=) its good till they drive it to mexico or canada
Old 09-03-10 | 04:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sw2oboi
lo jack=) its good till they drive it to mexico or canada
To be honest, if someone steals my car, I'd probably rather have a check to replace it than the car they did who-knows-what-with back.
Old 09-03-10 | 06:42 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
To be honest, if someone steals my car, I'd probably rather have a check to replace it than the car they did who-knows-what-with back.
I agree, full coverage for peace of mind...
Old 09-03-10 | 06:48 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

if someone really wants it they will get it. obviously without a key fob its harder but not impossible. im sure there are some programs you can hook up to the car and get the car started. also if the car is running already, you do not need the key fob to go where ever you want. if you turn the car off though, then your sol. the easiest way would be to flatbed the car

yes the alarm will not go off if the windows are smashed. most factory alarms do not have this and most factory alarms are pretty much useless because they only go off if someone opens the door.
Old 09-03-10 | 09:48 AM
nairb
Driver

Unless you walk, or take the bus around town you're always at risk.

Rule of thumb: if your car is worth more than all the cars in a lot, you probably shouldn't park there. Or just park near a more expensive car lol
Old 09-03-10 | 10:08 AM
SnoWite350
Driver School Candidate

I guess I can worry a little less now. I was just really worried about taking my car out of state. It doesn't have a license plate on it yet. Not that a license plate would deter thieves, but I would think a car without a license plate would more likely catch a thief's eyes since there's one less identifier on it.
Old 09-03-10 | 10:26 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shadowman
I doubt it can be done that easily. I'm positive that the key fobs are encrypted.

It's hard to steal our cars but it is VERY easy to steal parts from our cars. The alarm system is useless.

The only way to steal it is tow it as Sffd103 said.
I remember correctly, the key fob runs on a rolling code with a different sequence every time you lock and unlock the car.

Every time you lock the door the sequence will be XXXXXXXXX12X3XXXXXX (where X represents random digits and the 123 will be the identifier) from the car's computer, that will get programed into the fob, and it will only open if the sequence of code from the fob is the same as the the one earlier.

It is much like most garage door opener cept there will be more X digits making it near hard for most brute force method and random number generators to crack.

There is a possibility of someone reading your rolling code with a receiver, but my guess would be the sequences of X must be different, but the identifier will be the same before the car's computer will accept it. So they will still need to figure out the identifier digit and placement, but it changes every time you lock the car door.

There is also a very small chance someone else has the same sequence as you at that instant in the world, and you should be able to drive away in their car lol
Old 09-03-10 | 10:27 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

I would think if they had the technology to actually steal an IS then they would be using it for more expensive cars
Old 09-03-10 | 10:34 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

No way to go under the panel or everything computer controlled? Also, I never knee the alarm does not go off if the windows are broken. Is there a way to get that adjusted? How many of you all are using aftermarket alarms?

Quick Reply: How easy is it to steal an IS