IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

For those who used Super Strong 3M double sided tape

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 11:45 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default For those who used Super Strong 3M double sided tape

I've rearranged my emblems with the Super Strong 3M double sided tape, these tape are said to be the same ones the dealer uses to stick the emblems on?
However, I feel that they are thicker, as in, after sticking the emblems back on, the emblems stick out away from the trunk more than the original emblems before they were taken off.

Now i'm wondering, do these tapes flatten out some how after a period of time? i've only reapplied my emblems for 3 days. i thought they should have settled and flattened out by now?
other than sticking out a bit more, i feel that my emblems are softer compared to the original emblems.. as in.. i can twist them more than when the original emblems were on.. if these tapes do flatten themselves out over time, i guess that will solve this twisting issue as well as there will not be as much thick tape for the emblems to pivot on?

Name:  2315113724_2736853849.jpg
Views: 5330
Size:  58.6 KB
Old 09-04-10, 12:36 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you have to press on them really really hard for them to flatten out...i suggest if you can, at night leave a clamp on them otherwise the tape wont be compress enough
Old 09-04-10, 12:40 AM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by edgeucated
you have to press on them really really hard for them to flatten out...i suggest if you can, at night leave a clamp on them otherwise the tape wont be compress enough
oh wow~
didn't know i had to compress it like that for them to flatten out!
lol i thought it would flatten out on its own after applying or something
but then again it's tape.. not glue.. it's not gonna flatten out on it's own.. what was i thinking

i need to find a clamp somewhere then
or an alternative for a clamp.. hmmm..

thanks for your reply tho!
Old 09-04-10, 01:03 AM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

step1: cut out the measured length needed

step2: find clear tape and tape the sticky side of the freshly measured tape

step3: find a flat surface, get a hammer, and pound the sh!et out of it till it flattens out

step4: get a beer and grunt like a man for pounding the sh!et out of the tape

step5: chug the rest of the beer and finish up taping the emblems

Old 09-04-10, 01:09 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well now that its already on the car, i would suggest a clamp. it shouldnt be hard because the emblems are near the bottom of the trunk so a clamp can easily sit on top. just remember to put like a piece of cardboard between the clamp and the emblems so that they dont get scratched
Old 09-04-10, 06:50 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Or take them off and start again with the pounding method. But if you do that should the tape be cut just a tad shorter to allow for expansion due to pounding?
Old 09-04-10, 08:44 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're using the wrong tape. I'm not saying that stuff won't work, but it was not made for that application. I work with a handful of 3M products. They have a crazy catalog and I guarantee that there is a better product for car emblems than that stuff.

The OEM adhesive was likely really thin (as in a single-layer of thin plastic). You also said that it "moves". That's just because the adhesive is not aggressive enough, and has more soft materials than the originals. Yours has a foam-like padding, whereas I'd bet the original was clear and thin.

I'd suggest you try an automotive shop instead of a home improvement shop next time if you want a better match. Getting the right stuff is important if you care a lot about matching the original look and feel.

Last edited by chrisyano; 09-04-10 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-04-10, 08:55 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Shave the holes!! That's what I did!!
Old 09-04-10, 12:48 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

thanks for all the replies guys!

i did cut the tape a tad shorter to take into account that they will expand when flattened
hmm i will try to find a clamp, i'm not quite a handy person so i'll have to ask my friends for a clamp lol
Old 09-04-10, 12:50 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chrisyano
You're using the wrong tape. I'm not saying that stuff won't work, but it was not made for that application. I work with a handful of 3M products. They have a crazy catalog and I guarantee that there is a better product for car emblems than that stuff.

The OEM adhesive was likely really thin (as in a single-layer of thin plastic). You also said that it "moves". That's just because the adhesive is not aggressive enough, and has more soft materials than the originals. Yours has a foam-like padding, whereas I'd bet the original was clear and thin.

I'd suggest you try an automotive shop instead of a home improvement shop next time if you want a better match. Getting the right stuff is important if you care a lot about matching the original look and feel.
oh and thank you so much for ur reply man!

if you dont mind can you please post a pic of the correct tape so i may go look for it and not end up with the wrong tape again? lol
cause i asked everyone and they all said to use this 3M tape that i have.. other ppl even said just use random strong double sided tape and it'll work
Old 09-04-10, 01:49 PM
ptran
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what you need:

Name:  IMG_0562.jpg
Views: 2425
Size:  93.3 KB
Old 09-04-10, 02:01 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

thank you so much ptran!
let me go look for it now
Old 09-04-10, 02:40 PM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We never re-tape emblems. It's easier to buy new emblems that are pre-taped and it makes for a nicer job. If you want the correct tape look to an auto body supply store not a Home Depot. ptran has you on the right path.
Old 09-04-10, 02:59 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A picture of my stuff wouldn't have helped, because it is not meant for the purpose intended here. The one above is what you're looking for.

And as ColtM4A3 mentioned, it really is a pain to try and match the contours with a double sided adhesive with a free hand straight blade. That 3M stuff above looks like it has some height to it, so you need to cut really well if you're really into the little details like I am. I also probably wouldn't do it and would buy a new set of emblems. Actually, I would fill the holes and paint but I digress.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-10, 03:02 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

thank you so much guys
appreciate the great help!