IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need some help with my proposed JL audio setup...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-10, 07:57 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with my proposed JL audio setup...

So as of now, I have in my possession JL audio 1000/1 and 300/4 amps. My plan was to purchase a 4080 enclosure and put a W6 in it. Then I wanted to either buy components for the front and replacement door speakers for the rear, or even just replacement door speakers/tweeters for the front AND rear.

I like things CLEAN as possible. Hence why I'm sold on the 4080 enclosure. On JL's site, I see they now have an HD900/5 amp, which would give me a 500/1 and a 400/4 amp all built into 1. I really like the smaller profile, less weight and everything all built into 1. I don't need window shattering bass, but I want it to hit hard enough that it's obvious it's aftermarket. So I'm kind of stuck trying to decide if I should keep what I have or buy that 5 channel amp.

I'm curious of 2 things:

First of all, will I lose my navigation voice sounds if i eliminate the Factory amp powering the speakers? Or Can I connect the signal from the OEM Nav to the aftermarket amp? I imagine it would be built into the same wiring that sends the signal for the music but I'm not sure.

Second, How much of a PITA is it to amplify the door speakers? I know I can use a LOC for the sub, but how can I connect the oem speaker wiring going to the oem amp to my JL amp? Also, will I need crossovers for the door speakers? I think the amp has them built in but i'm not sure if I will need anything else?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by ScKcBc; 09-06-10 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-06-10, 08:19 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't a 4080 enclosure be way too small for a W7?
Old 09-06-10, 09:07 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nmpeter
Correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't a 4080 enclosure be way too small for a W7?

yes, I forgot that. I edited my post. A w6v2 will be perfect for what I'm looking for.
Old 09-06-10, 10:27 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i think the factory door speakers are good enough. i'm running a 12w3v3. just one and it's way more then enough bass. just put the sub in and be on your wayyy
Old 09-07-10, 07:51 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
i think the factory door speakers are good enough. i'm running a 12w3v3. just one and it's way more then enough bass. just put the sub in and be on your wayyy
I was thinking that as well, but I dont want to put the sub in and then it's not enough. I guess I can always change it in the future right? Maybe I'll just throw a HD750/1 in or something and see how it is. I just feel that the 1000/1 is going to be way more then I need.
Old 09-07-10, 08:40 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I say you should just go ahead with a 4080 + 12w6v2 + 1000/1 setup. Overpowering a sub is a good thing anyway. The 750/1 would probably be better for a number of reasons, but I doubt it would change the end result much

After you install, you can determine whethe or not you need to upgrade your cabin speakers. Even the non ML Pioneer speakers are decent, it's just the subbass that is really lacking.
Old 09-07-10, 09:08 AM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the exact setup you describe. jl 1000/1, jl 300/4, 4080 enclosure with 12w6v2, and focal speakers all around. what i decided to do was keep the factory amp. not too sure if you could set up the OEM nav to the aftermarket amp.... what i did was tap into each signal channel for every speaker via LOC into my aftmarket amp. you do NOT need crossovers for your speakers unless you plan on eliminating your factory amp completely.. keep in mind, the 6.5" speakers are meant to play low frequencies, your 2.5" play mids and your tweeters play your highs obviously. you'd probably want to tap into your midrange frequency via t taps and take this signal into your LOC, into your aftermarket amp, then into your 6.5". this means you will lose low end frequencies in your speakers, but you'd have plenty with the subwoofer anyhow. the issue is, you never really have true bass frequency from your subwoofer, as it is not a full range when you take the signal from the stock subwoofer. let me know if you need any more help

Last edited by joeker; 09-07-10 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-07-10, 02:47 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joeker
i have the exact setup you describe. jl 1000/1, jl 300/4, 4080 enclosure with 12w6v2, and focal speakers all around. what i decided to do was keep the factory amp. not too sure if you could set up the OEM nav to the aftermarket amp.... what i did was tap into each signal channel for every speaker via LOC into my aftmarket amp. you do NOT need crossovers for your speakers unless you plan on eliminating your factory amp completely.. keep in mind, the 6.5" speakers are meant to play low frequencies, your 2.5" play mids and your tweeters play your highs obviously. you'd probably want to tap into your midrange frequency via t taps and take this signal into your LOC, into your aftermarket amp, then into your 6.5". this means you will lose low end frequencies in your speakers, but you'd have plenty with the subwoofer anyhow. the issue is, you never really have true bass frequency from your subwoofer, as it is not a full range when you take the signal from the stock subwoofer. let me know if you need any more help
So wait, you have the 300/4 powering only your mids? And left the Lows and highs hooked up to the factory amp?
Old 09-07-10, 08:01 PM
joeker
Racer

Originally Posted by RpmSteve
So wait, you have the 300/4 powering only your mids? And left the Lows and highs hooked up to the factory amp?
im pulling the signal from my mids into my aftermarket amp into my 6.5"s. theres no point in pulling the signal from the 6.5" into the aftermarket amp, back into the 6.5" because you'd only be powering a bass signal.
Old 09-07-10, 11:02 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Forgive my lack of understanding but did you have to run wires to the mods then? Like, are you using a LOC from the mids signal coming out of the oem amp, then into the JL amp, then you ran wires to the speakers? Or you just used the oem wiring? It sounds as If you just basically put the JL amp in line with your oem wiring without disconnecting the oem amp. But If that's the case, the JL amp can receive an amplified signal?

I'm sorry if I'm not getting this correctly,it's been a very long time before I messed around with music and it all seems to have slipped my mind. Last time I installed music, we ran RCA's from an aftermarket deck to the Amps and then ran wires to the front door speakers and rear 6x9's. We would reverse the wiring on the door speakers to eliminate the bass when using a sub It was gangster but it worked!! I never dealt with using LOC's with oem decks and having to deal with oem amps
Old 02-20-11, 04:17 PM
Alex2422
Driver School Candidate

Sorry if I say something wrong but im pretty Positive that if you have Nav then you have Bluetooth as well.. which means you cant bypass the fac amp without losing bluetooth or nav talk. I just put in a 4 channel amp to all the speakers and a mono amp to a 12in subwoofer. Used JL cleansweep/summing device to send all the signals to my 4 channel amp and passed thorugh to my JL amp for the sub. It wasnt possible to power all the speaker without it and couldnt bypass the stock amp bec of the Nav. Took pics if it will help anyone..
Old 02-20-11, 04:44 PM
onilink
Rookie

Is this true ^^^ ? I am looking to install an aftermarket sub and amp to my stock non-ml system with nav, (was also looking into the new 4080 enclosure with jl).

But I use the hands free bluetooth on a daily basis, so what would I have to do to install aftermarket sub and amp and keep my bluetooth/nav voice?
Old 02-20-11, 06:44 PM
Alex2422
Driver School Candidate

If your just installing the sub then no. I had the Jl mono amp with a Jl 12inw6 sub put in around 7 months ago before all of this. All you need is a Line out converter (used a Scosche LOC-80) and cross into the 8in woofer in the rear. It will NOT mess with anything like bluetooth or nav voice for sure. If you ever add an amp for the speakers you wouldnt need the LOC anymore because the Cleansweep/Summing does the work already. Also had a bass **** before the new amp if you wanted to control it from the front. Hope that helped
Old 02-20-11, 06:58 PM
jmaxey6622
Driver

I have a similar setup but, running a 500/1 and going to I install 6.5 components powered by a 440/4. And in addition alpine era-g320. I plan on running my own wires from the amp to all the doors for the components. Leaving my factory tweeter and center still being powered by the factory. I'm pretty sure this will still leave navigation voice given, I only here it coming from my center channel speaker.
Old 02-20-11, 07:00 PM
Alex2422
Driver School Candidate

Ya sorry when I said you cant bypass the Stock amp thats correct to my knowledge bec everything the Nav does goes through it first. By adding just a mono amp for a sub all you need is the sub signal as posted above. Ive called JL lexus and many audio stores and so far only one audio store said you could bypass it but couldnt tell me how over the phone. The rest said it was impossible for keeping Nav.

Quick Reply: Need some help with my proposed JL audio setup...