IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 Headlights (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10 | 03:25 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
So, just the little 'AFS Off' light in the lower left corner stays lit? The screen between the speedometer and tach, where I can see outside temp, average MPG, etc. continues to work?
You've got me on that one.

Any reason the screen you're referring to shouldn't work? MPG, Temp etc doesn't deal with the headlamps. Am I missing something?
Old 10-05-10 | 07:19 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sewell

Any reason the screen you're referring to shouldn't work? MPG, Temp etc doesn't deal with the headlamps. Am I missing something?
I thought I read somebody saying this on the other thread. I could be mistaken or may have misunderstood.
Old 10-05-10 | 08:01 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Lobux mentioned about it in the other thread.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The multifunction display won't stop working, it will just stop being useful. It will constantly display AFS not working messages instead of the thing you wanted to see.

The LEDs don't use the same power source as the original DRLs. They reused a couple of wires left over from removing the swivel motor. The rest of the swivel motor connections are left open, so the AFS computer will immediately fail on the POST wire check. So there's a lot of trickery you'll need to make happen for this to work without replacing the AFS ECU. Even if you did replace the ECU, the BEAN might still be pissed off because it's expecting a certain network message from the AFS ECU and the newer unit won't be generating the same message. While this isn't rocket surgery, it's also not too far off in some respects.
Old 10-05-10 | 09:29 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

maybe we may have to wait til these lights come with the AFS option so it is truly a plug n play direct swap out =)

maybe the 2012 models will come that as a new feature.
Old 10-06-10 | 05:29 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by funnie
maybe we may have to wait til these lights come with the AFS option so it is truly a plug n play direct swap out =)

maybe the 2012 models will come that as a new feature.
Seems unlikely they'd delete the feature for 2011, then add it back in the last year of production
Old 10-11-10 | 11:48 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by Joe Z
...flat head screw driver and needle noise pliers...
Joe Z
Duly noted Joe. With this, I've been able to remove the computers (ballasts) from the kit.

Now check this out - I took these pictures just this morning before I left my house. I felt a bit strange driving at night knowing my head lights were different side-to-side. Of course, the sun wasn't up yet so it's not like I was going to see anyone look at me. It was because of this however, I did skip my Starbucks coffee trip not to have anyone stare while waiting for the Latte. As I'm writing this I believe we may just stumbled upon not only a LED upgrade but a HID upgrade as well. Notice the halogen lamp on the drivers side, then the LED, HID lamp on the passenger side. I've been working on the same passenger side lamp for weeks now testing on various models and it escaped my attention (A.D.D.) the loan car to which I was working not only was not equipped with AFS, but it was not equipped with the HID option. So, the proof is in the pudding - see for yourself, an HID lamp is now installed on an IS model not factory equipped with the HID's.

So now it looks like we have 2 upgraded features, the newer style lamp as well as HID's!

Darrel

Last edited by Sewell; 10-11-10 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-11-10 | 11:52 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by Joe Z
...flat head screw driver and needle noise pliers...
Joe Z
Duly noted Joe. With this, I've been able to remove the computers (ballasts) from the kit.

Now check this out - I took these pictures just this morning before I left my house. I felt a bit strange driving at night knowing my head lights were different side-to-side. Of course, the sun wasn't up yet so it's not like I was going to see anyone look at me. It was because of this however, I did skip my Starbucks coffee trip not to have anyone stare while waiting for the Latte. As I'm writing this I believe we may just stumbled upon not only a LED upgrade but a HID upgrade as well. Notice the halogen lamp on the drivers side, then the LED, HID lamp on the passenger side. I've been working on the same passenger side lamp for weeks now testing on various models and it escaped my attention (A.D.D.) the loan car to which I was working not only was not equipped with AFS, but it was not equipped with the HID option. So, the proof is in the pudding - see for yourself, an HID lamp is now installed on an IS model not factory equipped with the HID's.

So now it looks like we have 2 upgraded features, the newer style lamp as well as HID's!

Darrel
Old 10-11-10 | 12:07 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor
CL Folding 100000

I would ask anyone to comment about the HID upgrade part as I'm really not aware if anyone's every perform such an upgrade from Halogen's to HID's before.

...if my thought process is correct, we may have just incidentally stumbled upon a HID upgrade.

Anyone care to share any comments or criticism?

Darrel
Old 10-11-10 | 12:17 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

wow look awsome for those halogen headlight lover look like easy for those whose has regular halogen headlights.
Old 10-11-10 | 12:20 PM
pchan0
Lead Lap

So you are saying the headlamp set is perfect for my 09' IS250AWD with no AFS and HID?
Old 10-11-10 | 12:21 PM
B16da9
Racer

I have to admit after seeing the picture above the LED strip does not look half bad.
Old 10-11-10 | 12:21 PM
IS250TW
Lead Lap
CL Folding 25,000

so you mean it is a direct upgrade from halogens to HIDs without modding?
one upgrade=LEDs+HIDs at the same time?
is it a direct bolt on on 06-08's?

it looks pretty good but the biggest issue is that its too expensive...
Old 10-11-10 | 01:03 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

I would ask anyone to comment about the HID upgrade part as I'm really not aware if anyone's every perform such an upgrade from Halogen's to HID's before.

...if my thought process is correct, we may have just incidentally stumbled upon a HID upgrade.

Anyone care to share any comments or criticism?

Darrel
Well, definitely cool that you get HID's while upgrading, but the cost still doesnt justify the upgrade for 99% of people. While I always prefer OEM upgrades as well, Reliable oem looking HID kits can be had for $50 with a LIFETIME warranty. And even if you just want to buy replacement bulbs, they're cheap ($20 for a pair).

Additionally, I'd venture to say MOST people with non HID equipped IS250's that are interested in upgrading their headlights to the 2011 and spending that much have already coughed up <$100 for an HID kit by now. Not to say people aren't still buying is250's and modding them but IDK if that's a main selling point.

Now, regarding the AFS. I'd almost guarantee that the AFS ecu is looking for some amount of resistance in the line from the AFS computer. I don't understand why we cannot mimic this to keep that light off? It's the same as using a resistor in the seat belt harness so you can drive without it and not have the beeping blinking light. Now it may NOT be that simple if the AFS ecu is receiving a varying amount of voltage depending on when the AFS ecu is functioning. If That's the case, then we need to just intercept the signal going to the cluster and trick it that way because that will just be one signal. But I imagine that same signal goes to the regular ECU causing you to fail inspection in states like NY due to a trouble code. Unless this car can pass with a code like that being that it's not an emissions problem.

Like I stated before, I like AFS and all, but I'd prefer the LED DRL of the 2011, so if anyone doesnt have HID's and AFS and wants everything from my car, you can have it. And I'd be more then happy to buy the 2011 setup. I'd remove everything including the AFS ecu and the parts on the rear suspension. I'd be shocked to find out that non AFS cars are wired differently. Everything probably plugs right in.
Old 10-11-10 | 01:15 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

why don't we just open our headlights apart and take out the AFS motor and trace down the wire for that motor, and when we install the new LED headlights and tap afs motor ecu to our harness and mount that motor under the headlights so it trick the ecu that it though we still have afs just my though lol
Old 10-11-10 | 01:27 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Darrel

Hey Darrel,

Very Interesting Phenomenon...

First you should verify my findings with the Ballasts, as I was able to remove a set out of 2008 HID housings without any issues successfully.

I have also heard of several members experiencing a similar easy upgrade where they successfully installed an OEM HID Projector Housing unit in a OEM Halogen Projector equipped IS..

Now the trick would be to see if this upgrade worked in every year from 2006 to 2011..

BUT as it seems, I would guess that 90%+ of the IS's on the ground are HID equipped already.

and

100% of the IS-F's on the ground are HID standard equiopment here in the USA.

Did you have to do any wire harness modifications to get the 2011's to work??
or
Did you do a straight Plug & Play into that 2009 IS Loaner?

Regards,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-11-10 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Headlights (merged threads)