IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 Headlights (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-10, 12:57 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Sewell like someone mention earlier about send back the headlight core to get some discount, would that happen? that would help us toward the upgrade
Old 10-19-10, 01:10 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
When installed on a 2006 to 2010 with HID & AFS, what warning lights and/or warning messages are displayed??

Does turning off the AFS function (where the tpms selectors is) change any of the possible error lights that are displayed??

Joe Z
Keep it coming. What other questions are there?

Darrel
Old 10-19-10, 01:27 PM
fr0st
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sewell
There's no single wire or even a couple wires for the AFS - it's a series of wires. It's a series of wires with a series of sensors. Needless to say, this isn't something we're willing to get back involved with unless someone out there gives us some miracle method to deactivate the system while not deactivating it.

Darrel

Hopefully you guys figure out a way to disable the dash light. I'd be ready to purchase a set when you do. I just don't feel "safe" having a constant dash light.
Old 10-19-10, 03:04 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...I'm working on the FAQ's now.

Is there any specific questions anyone needs answers?
Does installing the 2011 headlamps void the Lexus new car warranty? Does it depend if a Lexus dealer installs the lights versus a body shop? My 2009 is only 1-1/2 years old.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-10, 03:06 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Curious - has anyone here considered just unplugging the harness from the AFS computer and seeing if the light would not come on?

Darrel
Old 10-19-10, 03:17 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Curious - has anyone here considered just unplugging the harness from the AFS computer and seeing if the light would not come on?

Darrel
so do you mean the whole headlight plug? because the headlight has big harness, which one should we unplug? show me which one to unplug, and I would try it to see what happen?
Old 10-19-10, 03:22 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Originally Posted by ohiois350
so do you mean the whole headlight plug? because the headlight has big harness, which one should we unplug? show me which one to unplug, and I would try it to see what happen?
The headlight swivel ECU as it's called is in the driver side kick panel area. You'll need to remove the interior panel to expose the ECU. It may be labeled with a part number 89940-XXXXX. I'd guess its about a 5 inch by 5 inch box and I hope it just has one small wire harness going to it.

Try disabling your AFS first to enable the light on the dash, then unplug the ECU and see if that turns the light off.

Darrel
Old 10-19-10, 03:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Darrel
That will guarantee the combo meter will be pissed off. The faults are all sent across the BEAN, so when the combo meter loses connectivity to the AFS ECU it will be pissed off for sure. You might get away with it if you turn off the AFS with the satellite switch before unplugging, but I have my doubts about this ultimately working with the AFS ECU disconnected entirely.
Old 10-19-10, 03:26 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That will guarantee the combo meter will be pissed off. The faults are all sent across the BEAN, so when the combo meter loses connectivity to the AFS ECU it will be pissed off for sure. You might get away with it if you turn off the AFS with the satellite switch before unplugging, but I have my doubts about this ultimately working with the AFS ECU disconnected entirely.
I agree. If someone is commenting about really feeling "safe" because the AFS light is on, then I'm up for the long shot and see what happens. The AFS systems is just a passive safety function and it's supposed to alert the driver of this feature not functioning. The only way I can think to bypass this concern is just to unplug it.

D
Old 10-19-10, 04:34 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

I agree. If someone is commenting about really feeling "safe" because the AFS light is on, then I'm up for the long shot and see what happens. The AFS systems is just a passive safety function and it's supposed to alert the driver of this feature not functioning. The only way I can think to bypass this concern is just to unplug it.

D
Darrel,

If you tell us which lights your getting on an IS equipped with AFS, we might be able to go about this differently..

For example:
If it's in the center display box and it says "Check AFS" and next to it the Red Triangle appears,

thats a problem because it makes the information display box pretty much useless...

Kinda like when you have "Low Washer Fluid" or "Oil Change".. LoL

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-19-10 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-19-10, 09:39 PM
BORIS350
Driver

why not just rip apart the head lights put everything from the old head lights to the new ones wire them up correctly and ur good..
Old 10-19-10, 10:18 PM
Grazy
Driver

i want to like the 11 headlights but its hard because it doesn't look right...
Old 10-20-10, 05:05 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
Does installing the 2011 headlamps void the Lexus new car warranty? Does it depend if a Lexus dealer installs the lights versus a body shop? My 2009 is only 1-1/2 years old.

Thanks.
Nothing can "void" a new car warranty.

However, if you install additional parts not meant for the car (and these headlights would qualify), regardless of who does the work, then the dealer is not obligated to fix any problems caused by those parts.

They'd still be obligated to fix any unrelated issues though under warranty.
Old 10-20-10, 11:57 AM
khoab88
Lead Lap

I can't afford "placing" ~$3g in front of my car.

Can we all work a little harder for better pricing?
Old 10-21-10, 10:14 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Darrel, If you tell us which lights your getting on an IS equipped with AFS, we might be able to go about this differently..
For example:
If it's in the center display box and it says "Check AFS" and next to it the Red Triangle appears,

thats a problem because it makes the information display box pretty much useless...
Kinda like when you have "Low Washer Fluid" or "Oil Change".. LoL
Joe Z
No, the red triangular light never appeared while working with the new headlamps. No lights ever came on unexpectedly, just the yellow AFS light in the lower left hand corner. The AFS is not considered Maintenance thus unlike the washer fluid, and oil change notifications the red triangular warning light does not come on.

I tried turning OFF my AFS on my 09 IS250, then unplugged the AFS ECU and the AFS light remained on. The good news is this is exactly what you'd expect if the AFS computer was malfunctioning. The bad news with all this, I don't think we're able to find a work around for the AFS light being on.

For the core credit, we're finalizing the details now and should be posting something shortly.

Darrel

Quick Reply: 2011 Headlights (merged threads)