IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 Headlights (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-10, 12:07 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So convenient for those who don't have AFS. Now they only need the LED strip to lid up.

Btw, just saw a 2011 driving behind me at Newport beach, ca. The LED is pretty bright during daytime, not subtle as some Lexus stock picture on the website. It's relatively bright as the Audi, but it's very Lexus distinct. Hopefully these Lexus LED DRL will be more common on the road. That would promote te brand really well.
Old 09-23-10, 12:27 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ahmed24
This thread has just got me thinking. Even if these headlights fit directly onto the older models, when they come out they are going to cost a fortune.

So i'm thinking there must be a way to get the look of that new LED strip light onto our existing lights.

I have a friend who works in a acrylic fabrication factory and he says he can lazer-cut any shape. So i showed him the following:

An he claims he can cut that and even get it curved if nessasary and keep the edges curved so that it blends onto the headlight unit instead of having a flat cut which will look rubbish.

The next challenge would be to get light reflected somehow into that acrylic.

I have recently built a FTIR multitouch table based on IR leds being reflected inside acrylic. Acrylic is actually a very good light reflector. So one option might be to beam light from the sides of the acrylic and stick the acrylic ontop the headlamp giving that same kind of look.

Obviously this is all just theory but I am currently looking into it and any suggestions would be great.

I've got a huge sheet of acrylic left from my FTIR multitouch project and I am going to do some experiments with it.

Or the other option is that if there is enough room inside the housing, then possibly install it directly inside.

Any suggestions would be great.
Retrofitting the led drl lights into the headlight housing then tapping the power from the current DRL circuitry would probably be the easiest/cost effective way of doing it for non 2011 cars.. if you want to keep your AFS intact without warning non sense.

Last edited by OPTiK; 09-24-10 at 07:22 AM. Reason: with -> without
Old 09-23-10, 03:08 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sewell

The leveling motor is the same between all the headlights. It's the AFS that's causing us issues. Yes, the AFS light is on in the dash. Of course we're working on a fix for this, but there's just to many components that affect the AFS system to have this light turn off.

Darrel
I don't mind if the 'AFS Off' light is on. Based on another post, it sounded like the multifunction display between the speedometer and tach would stop working because it would indicate AFS was not working. That would be annoying.

I'm puzzled why the LEDs didn't come on. You would think they run from the same source as the old DRLs.

Again, keep us updated.
Old 09-23-10, 03:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
I don't mind if the 'AFS Off' light is on. Based on another post, it sounded like the multifunction display between the speedometer and tach would stop working because it would indicate AFS was not working. That would be annoying.

I'm puzzled why the LEDs didn't come on. You would think they run from the same source as the old DRLs.

Again, keep us updated.
The multifunction display won't stop working, it will just stop being useful. It will constantly display AFS not working messages instead of the thing you wanted to see.

The LEDs don't use the same power source as the original DRLs. They reused a couple of wires left over from removing the swivel motor. The rest of the swivel motor connections are left open, so the AFS computer will immediately fail on the POST wire check. So there's a lot of trickery you'll need to make happen for this to work without replacing the AFS ECU. Even if you did replace the ECU, the BEAN might still be pissed off because it's expecting a certain network message from the AFS ECU and the newer unit won't be generating the same message. While this isn't rocket surgery, it's also not too far off in some respects.
Old 09-23-10, 11:50 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

this made it so much easier for those IS with no AFS.
Old 09-23-10, 11:55 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

and you can't get the best of both world. gotta choose 1.
Old 09-24-10, 09:06 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by khoab88
this made it so much easier for those IS with no AFS.
Are the Non HID IS's also Non AFS ??

If yes, it will be a much easier process for those IS's

Joe Z
Old 09-24-10, 09:34 AM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Work harder Sewell.

All non-AFS members are waiting for this big jump.
Old 09-24-10, 09:37 AM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Also this is just my opinion. BMW has their brand for the headlight as "angel eye," and so does other brands.
What should it be for us Lexus? Should we just keep calling Lexus LED DRL? Their marketing team should name it something cool.
Old 09-24-10, 10:14 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

The pricing for this may have just made a jump beyond what we'd all like. There's now 16 different part numbers that make up the headlamp upgrade. This covers everything from the lamps to the ballasts, from the wire harnesses to the bulb covers. Take a look: http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...-2010-624.html

We're still working on the details to the AFS options.

Darrel
Old 09-24-10, 10:22 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Darrel could the original 2006-2010 bulbs be moved over to the 2011 lights? Thus shaving off some cost? Or have these been changed as well?
Old 09-24-10, 10:23 AM
Rash
hmm

I don't know much about lights, but if I buy the headlights locally, it wont work except if I do some custom job?
Old 09-24-10, 12:06 PM
pchan0
Lead Lap

The pricing for this may have just made a jump beyond what we'd all like. There's now 16 different part numbers that make up the headlamp upgrade. This covers everything from the lamps to the ballasts, from the wire harnesses to the bulb covers. Take a look: http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...-2010-624.html

Darrel
What about for people without HID and AFS?
Old 09-24-10, 02:45 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darrel
Do you happen to know the Club Lexus discount? Also, if everything works out and I order the parts, how do I get them installed? Body shop? At the dealer? Is there a 12-month warranty if the dealer does it? Do you provide instructions for the wiring changes?
Old 09-24-10, 02:48 PM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
Do you happen to know the Club Lexus discount? Also, if everything works out and I order the parts, how do I get them installed? Body shop? At the dealer? Is there a 12-month warranty if the dealer does it? Do you provide instructions for the wiring changes?
Create a logon at the Sewell website. Then during the sign-up put in your CL logon, you will then see the CL discounts.

Quick Reply: 2011 Headlights (merged threads)