Question about a new 2011 Lexus IS350 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 10:05 AM
eugenew36
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about a new 2011 Lexus IS350 AWD

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums here is please bear with me...I am in the market for a new sport sedan. My current lease on my 2008 Acura TSX is coming due. I was planning on a BMW 335i x-drive due to the fact that winters in Ohio really suck. I didn't really have any other options until now, I see that Lexus is coming out with the IS 350 AWD.

I stopped by the closest Lexus dealer in Canton, Ohio and they have one coming in towards the end of September. It's the Smoky Granite Mica that has the heated seat package but not the navigation system which I am actually ok with.

They say the MSRP on it will be $42,325 and they will probably not come down a whole lot off that price due to the slight body style change and the AWD feature. While this is still less that an equally equipped 335i I can't imagine they would not be willing to deal on someone who is ready to buy.

Please forgive me if there is a particular forum for this but I was wondering, how much do you all think I can talk them down off the MSRP? I am considering telling them if they knock $3,000 off that price I will buy it then and there. If not, I can walk as I still do have some time on my Acura lease and I can still play the "shopping at BMW" card. Although for what it's worth, I like the looks inside and out of the IS 350 more than the current generation 335i. I considered the 535i x-drive but that is now out of what I am willing to spend.

One last thing, I cannot find any pictures of the new 17" 10 spoke wheels that will be on the new 350 AWD on Lexus website. On the main 2011 Lexus IS thread I saw some pictures posted from the IS 250 at a dealership, are those the same ones that will be found on the 350 AWD?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old 09-08-10, 10:10 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

your in the right forum. but unfortunately, the IS350 awd was just released and hasnt even hit dealer floors yet. Being such a new car, i doubt dealers will want to budge from MSRP until atleast one month.

if you can wait it out, im certain their prices will drop
Old 09-08-10, 10:11 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your question on price negotiation, it's tough. The new model is out and they have no pressure to sell the 2011 for cheap. Most dealers will not be talked down that easily. There will be plenty of room to negotiate on a 2010 IS250 AWD because they need to get rid of them ASAP. But that's not what you want...

You can try to push your luck, but I wouldn't expect much for 2011. It really depends...

You check out the 2011 IS Facelift thread for more pictures of the wheels and other info on the 2011.
Old 09-08-10, 10:36 AM
eugenew36
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shadowman
To answer your question on price negotiation, it's tough. The new model is out and they have no pressure to sell the 2011 for cheap. Most dealers will not be talked down that easily. There will be plenty of room to negotiate on a 2010 IS250 AWD because they need to get rid of them ASAP. But that's not what you want...

You can try to push your luck, but I wouldn't expect much for 2011. It really depends...

You check out the 2011 IS Facelift thread for more pictures of the wheels and other info on the 2011.
yep, I looked through every page on that thread. Great info. I really like the new little tweaks to the IS and I actually test drove an IS 350 RWD, fantastic car and while it doesn't drive like a 3 series, still has more than enough power and handling for me as my daily driver as well as having absolutely gorgeous looks both inside and out. The BMW 335i x-drive with the same features costs almost $9,000 more based on both of these cars MSRP's, that's just crazy.

I have a 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster if I want to rip around though so I'm not just chomping at the bit for another BMW. So, as far as the best time to get a better price on the car...early next year like January or February? I know that is officially in the middle of winter so I just wonder how much they will budge when people would be more likely to get an AWD vehicle.
Old 09-08-10, 11:05 AM
eugenew36
Driver School Candidate

also, I'm surprised at the lack of information on the AWD IS 350. You would think there would be more interest as this is obviously directly competing agains the 335i x-drive as well as the Mercedes 4-Motion and the Audi AWD A4. This almost seems like an afterthought.
Old 09-08-10, 11:50 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by eugenew36
also, I'm surprised at the lack of information on the AWD IS 350. You would think there would be more interest as this is obviously directly competing agains the 335i x-drive as well as the Mercedes 4-Motion and the Audi AWD A4. This almost seems like an afterthought.
it's not that surprising really... it mostly is an afterthought... Lexus kept AWD away from the IS350 for a long time in part to protect sales of the AWD GS350...

I almost think they're finally doing it now, near the end of the 2IS lifecycle, just to see if that's true or not and thus be able to decide if they should offer it on the 3IS or not.

Personally I think on cars at a mere 300 hp that AWD is mostly an excuse not to buy decent snow tires, at the cost of a bunch of extra mileage-robbing weight the majority of the year it's not snowing... there's no shortage of RWD 350 owners driving around just fine in worse winters than Ohio gets... (Chicago, upstate NY, Canada, etc...).

AWD is very useful for getting traction off-road... or on cars north of 500 hp... but for a regular street car with normal power levels snow tires and a smart driver get around just fine.
Old 09-08-10, 12:27 PM
eugenew36
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
it's not that surprising really... it mostly is an afterthought... Lexus kept AWD away from the IS350 for a long time in part to protect sales of the AWD GS350...

I almost think they're finally doing it now, near the end of the 2IS lifecycle, just to see if that's true or not and thus be able to decide if they should offer it on the 3IS or not.

Personally I think on cars at a mere 300 hp that AWD is mostly an excuse not to buy decent snow tires, at the cost of a bunch of extra mileage-robbing weight the majority of the year it's not snowing... there's no shortage of RWD 350 owners driving around just fine in worse winters than Ohio gets... (Chicago, upstate NY, Canada, etc...).

AWD is very useful for getting traction off-road... or on cars north of 500 hp... but for a regular street car with normal power levels snow tires and a smart driver get around just fine.
you bring up some interesting points. The area I live is quite rural though and when it snows our roads are some of the last to get cleaned off. It really makes it hard for a rear wheel drive car, even with snow tires. I used to have a 330i manual that was certainly nothing spectacular in the snow.

The Acura TSX gets around ok with a set of winter tires but it is front wheel drive. Maybe I'm just gun shy. Drivers around our rural area drive horribly in the winter and I'm almost more scared of them than the weather. It's nice to have that extra security. Hell, maybe I should just look into the RWD IS350, it would probably save me a bunch of cash. Decisions, decisions...
Old 09-08-10, 02:51 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 52 Posts

you can try to get the msrp as an out the door price with all taxes and fees included, but other than that like everyone else has said, it is a new model that just came out so the price i doubt would budge very much
Old 09-08-10, 02:59 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums here is please bear with me...I am in the market for a new sport sedan. My current lease on my 2008 Acura TSX is coming due. I was planning on a BMW 335i x-drive due to the fact that winters in Ohio really suck. I didn't really have any other options until now, I see that Lexus is coming out with the IS 350 AWD.

I stopped by the closest Lexus dealer in Canton, Ohio and they have one coming in towards the end of September. It's the Smoky Granite Mica that has the heated seat package but not the navigation system which I am actually ok with.

They say the MSRP on it will be $42,325 and they will probably not come down a whole lot off that price due to the slight body style change and the AWD feature. While this is still less that an equally equipped 335i I can't imagine they would not be willing to deal on someone who is ready to buy.

Please forgive me if there is a particular forum for this but I was wondering, how much do you all think I can talk them down off the MSRP? I am considering telling them if they knock $3,000 off that price I will buy it then and there. If not, I can walk as I still do have some time on my Acura lease and I can still play the "shopping at BMW" card. Although for what it's worth, I like the looks inside and out of the IS 350 more than the current generation 335i. I considered the 535i x-drive but that is now out of what I am willing to spend.

One last thing, I cannot find any pictures of the new 17" 10 spoke wheels that will be on the new 350 AWD on Lexus website. On the main 2011 Lexus IS thread I saw some pictures posted from the IS 250 at a dealership, are those the same ones that will be found on the 350 AWD?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
when bargining tell them your looking at a used beemer, (5 series) or whatever from BMW for the same price. Then threaten to go buy the beemer while your working the deal. See if they'll budge or let you walk. Ya gotta feel them out. Its a new body style plus the 350's were never available with AWD. So they know its going to be a hot car and will have no problem moving it.
Old 09-08-10, 04:31 PM
eugenew36
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flektone
when bargining tell them your looking at a used beemer, (5 series) or whatever from BMW for the same price. Then threaten to go buy the beemer while your working the deal. See if they'll budge or let you walk. Ya gotta feel them out. Its a new body style plus the 350's were never available with AWD. So they know its going to be a hot car and will have no problem moving it.
they are also getting one exactly like the one in Canton up in Cleveland. Only problem is that they are owned by the same guy so I can't see juggling between the two on that particular car.

I guess we shall see in a few weeks if they let me walk or will make the sale. I will not pay sticker though as I still have time left on my underpowered 08 Acura TSX (man I hate that car).

The local BMW dealership quoted me a price of $51,300 for a brand new 535i with manual transmission, premium package, cold weather package and ipod USB connection (without taxes, title, etc...). While that is close to $10,000 more than the IS 350 AWD it's still close to a loaded out 335i x-drive which has all the features that the 350 IS has that is thousands and thousands cheaper. Decisions, decisions.

It really is down to the IS350, 335i X-Drive and the rear drive 535i (simply to get the manual transmission which I love)
Old 09-08-10, 05:45 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

they are also getting one exactly like the one in Canton up in Cleveland. Only problem is that they are owned by the same guy so I can't see juggling between the two on that particular car.

I guess we shall see in a few weeks if they let me walk or will make the sale. I will not pay sticker though as I still have time left on my underpowered 08 Acura TSX (man I hate that car).

The local BMW dealership quoted me a price of $51,300 for a brand new 535i with manual transmission, premium package, cold weather package and ipod USB connection (without taxes, title, etc...). While that is close to $10,000 more than the IS 350 AWD it's still close to a loaded out 335i x-drive which has all the features that the 350 IS has that is thousands and thousands cheaper. Decisions, decisions.

It really is down to the IS350, 335i X-Drive and the rear drive 535i (simply to get the manual transmission which I love)

Honestly I'd seriously consider the RWD 350... it'll be cheaper by thousands (many many thousands compared to the BMWs), faster, and get better mileage than any of the other cars above... and a set of cheap winter wheels/tires will do you fine in the off months (and probably save your OEM rims some too if the roads are kinda rural)

As others have said, with the 2011 both redesigned a bit, plus the AWD version being new, you're not gonna see much movement on price for a bit from Lexus.... a RWD, especially in a northern state, he'll be a lot more likely to deal... and if you can find a leftover 2010 you can probably get it below invoice (which is already like 5-6k under MSRP)
Old 09-08-10, 05:50 PM
eugenew36
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Honestly I'd seriously consider the RWD 350... it'll be cheaper by thousands (many many thousands compared to the BMWs), faster, and get better mileage than any of the other cars above... and a set of cheap winter wheels/tires will do you fine in the off months (and probably save your OEM rims some too if the roads are kinda rural)

As others have said, with the 2011 both redesigned a bit, plus the AWD version being new, you're not gonna see much movement on price for a bit from Lexus.... a RWD, especially in a northern state, he'll be a lot more likely to deal... and if you can find a leftover 2010 you can probably get it below invoice (which is already like 5-6k under MSRP)
thanks for the advice Kurtz! I will certainly consider that option. I just wish these Lexus dealers would have preowned IS350's. All they have are 250's which I have no interest in. I'm done having a car with 200 hp. My Acura TSX is a dog. Sure it's a spiffy looking little car but it's grossly underpowered (doesn't help that it is an automatic). I'm pretty used to the 330hp of my ///M Roadster and told myself, my next daily driver will be a speedy little ride.
Old 09-08-10, 05:57 PM
eugenew36
Driver School Candidate

another thing for me to consider is that if I buy from the Canton Ohio dealership they will come down and pick up my car for me when it needs serviced or any warranty work done. Same applies for the Cleveland Ohio dealership. Beings I live in such a rural area both those dealerships are an hour to an hour and a half away, and they are the closest.

If I find a good deal online from a private seller or other dealership out of state I lose that benefit which is important if you ask me. Too bad they have no 350 inventory. Here is a spiffy looking 2009...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NAVIG...ht_26272wt_846
Old 09-08-10, 09:07 PM
JoeCombs
Pole Position

hey go to the lexus at easton, i know the regional sales rep there and he's a real chill guy, his name is josh, he has sold my family 5 lexus' and all at a nice price (we have known him forever though) he recently got promoted to that position though so im not sure how easy it would be to talk to him.
Old 09-09-10, 05:48 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

I really doubt they will move more then 1k below msrp and that in itself is a stretch. The IS350 is still pretty rare of a car and I imagine dealers will only be seeing them here and there and won't have any reason to move. You can't expect a dealer to move on a car they absolutely have NO reason to.

Regarding AWD, I think it;s overrated. It only helps for acceleration both from a stop and out of turns. Other then that, it doesn't do much. Just put a good set of tires on and drive it. I drive my is350 in the snow with all seasons and Havent had a problem.

Quick Reply: Question about a new 2011 Lexus IS350 AWD