IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Getting New Rims, and Really Need Some Advice!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-10, 08:57 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I disagree with the whole "it's a 40k car so that means you need to spend top dollar on _____ ." Do what works for you, it's your money. No one except some/most car modders will know you're rocking reps if you choose to do so. It's not like you will be off-roading or going to car shows with them anyway.
Old 09-10-10, 09:11 AM
650IS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take to account what type of roads you have there or will be driving on daily. If they're really smooth and well taken care of roads then you shouldn't have to worry. But if you got bad roads with lots of pot holes, uneven patched or just beat up roads then you have to decide what's best for you be it get 1300 rims that if damaged can easily and cheaply replaced or some $3K rims plus tires which would cost you some if you damage or need to replace them do to road conditions in your area.

I rocked some ADR's back in the day and that rim has gone through hell, monster pot holes, ditches, curbed, accident where car flew.... but it was all good and rims stayed well until I traded the car in for a Z71 chevy. Also had an Rx7 with some cheap rims when I got it used and it served well even through the same hell it was put through even racing and mashing it around.

If you must spend money just for the sole reason to keep up with the Jones' or the masses of tuners then be my guest.
Old 09-10-10, 11:37 AM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DigitalDon
I disagree with the whole "it's a 40k car so that means you need to spend top dollar on _____ ." Do what works for you, it's your money. No one except some/most car modders will know you're rocking reps if you choose to do so. It's not like you will be off-roading or going to car shows with them anyway.

i never said top dollar. I just said good quality. I agree though, probably most wont even know the brand and dont care as long as it looks good. But that leads to getting what you pay for.... at the end of the day youre right, its his money. Do what you do with it. Just suggestions and opinions here.

I wouldnt hate you for getting those wheels.
Old 09-10-10, 01:28 PM
danhtran
Pole Position

thanks to alllllllll my good friend..... love ya
dam after of all the reply i am now so confuse
does anybody have or know where can i get those rims that look like the one i like on the "picture" with $1300
once again guy Thanks a lot
Old 09-10-10, 01:35 PM
danhtran
Pole Position

Originally Posted by heyarms
I have 19" staggered MRR GT-1's, the hyper silver or whatever color they call it. A tiny pic is in my sig, no real money shots of them haha but yeah I'm in NW Houston!
hey bro is this the one u talking about?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-MR...Q5fAccessories
i kinda like them tho
Old 09-10-10, 01:40 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 650IS350
Take to account what type of roads you have there or will be driving on daily. If they're really smooth and well taken care of roads then you shouldn't have to worry. But if you got bad roads with lots of pot holes, uneven patched or just beat up roads then you have to decide what's best for you be it get 1300 rims that if damaged can easily and cheaply replaced or some $3K rims plus tires which would cost you some if you damage or need to replace them do to road conditions in your area.

I rocked some ADR's back in the day and that rim has gone through hell, monster pot holes, ditches, curbed, accident where car flew.... but it was all good and rims stayed well until I traded the car in for a Z71 chevy. Also had an Rx7 with some cheap rims when I got it used and it served well even through the same hell it was put through even racing and mashing it around.

If you must spend money just for the sole reason to keep up with the Jones' or the masses of tuners then be my guest.
The problem is not brand names or not or spending money fixing them.

Cheap brands like Konig have poor casts which are brittle and cracks, the only way to fix them is to weld, but welding is a temporary fix because crack elongates regardless and soon the rim will just split open while you're cruising around.

Good caste wheel will deform upon impact, which can be straighten. That's when you spend money fixing it.

No rim, no matter how strong will withstand every pothole.

Its like you can recover from punch in the arm with a bruise, but when your arm falls off you aint gonna recover.

I bent both my front Works this winter, but it was okay... because 2 winters ago my car spent most of December with a flat due to crack and thus leaks in my Konig, then I spent most of spring rolling on 3 Konigs and 1 stock like this:

Last edited by mikez; 09-10-10 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-10-10, 01:57 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by danhtran
hey bro is this the one u talking about?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-MR...Q5fAccessories
i kinda like them tho
Yeah that's them, except mine are the hypersilver not black. Also, make sure you get the correct bolt pattern. I think that eBay listing is for rims that wont fit our bolt pattern.

Wheelfire.com has the Konig's you're looking at, too. I've never dealt with Wheelfire, but they have decent/good price it seems. I dont believe they carry or sell higher end rims though.