Getting the Smoke Smell Out

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-10, 11:26 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting the Smoke Smell Out

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a used 2007 IS 350. Has about 44,000 miles. Was a lease vehicle. Clean title w/o any major accidents. Asking for about $23K Oh...I think it's fully loaded since it comes with Nav package and rear view camera, auto dimming review view mirror, heated seats, and other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

But previous owner was a smoker. Any way to get the smoke out? Anyone hired a professional car detailer? Will shampoo of the carpets, cleaning of the leather and recondition, and "ozone" treatment get rid of the smoke smell?

Is this 2007 IS a good deal to buy?

Would rather get this 2007 IS 350 or a 2010 new IS 250 with Nav package.

Thanks for all your help!!!!
Old 09-09-10, 11:55 PM
6Sp33d
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy this spray called Ozium. Its freaking amazing. got mine at pep boys. it works for everything.
Old 09-10-10, 12:22 AM
CCM03
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Sp33d
buy this spray called Ozium. Its freaking amazing. got mine at pep boys. it works for everything.
+1 on Ozium. It's a potheads best friend.
Kills smoke and smell
Old 09-10-10, 12:32 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That stuff is good and strong. Call a detail shop and ask if they can remove it and how much. Then try to deduct that amount off the price of the car. I put some air fresheners called My Shaldan at the Filipino store. Smell good.
Old 09-10-10, 01:08 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think that smoke smell is from your car, Sffd.....

The dealer won't detail it? I'd ask them to take care of is as a due bill.
Old 09-10-10, 06:55 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neomedic
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a used 2007 IS 350. Has about 44,000 miles. Was a lease vehicle. Clean title w/o any major accidents. Asking for about $23K Oh...I think it's fully loaded since it comes with Nav package and rear view camera, auto dimming review view mirror, heated seats, and other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

But previous owner was a smoker. Any way to get the smoke out? Anyone hired a professional car detailer? Will shampoo of the carpets, cleaning of the leather and recondition, and "ozone" treatment get rid of the smoke smell?

Is this 2007 IS a good deal to buy?

Would rather get this 2007 IS 350 or a 2010 new IS 250 with Nav package.

Thanks for all your help!!!!
Have you looked into Leasing a 2010 IS 250 for about what you will pay for this car?
Old 09-10-10, 07:14 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by neomedic
Hey Everyone,

I think the smoke suggestions so far have been pretty good... and I'd certainly want a 350 over a 250... but to address the opitioing- none of the items you mention really qualify as 'fully loaded' (the auto-dimming rear mirror is standard for all 2ISes in fact)

Things to check to see if a 2IS actually is fully loaded (and about 99% of all every produced are not) would be all 4 of these items:

Memory seats (least rare of the 4)- which indicates sport or lux package

Mark Levinson logo on the stereo on the dash (indicating it has the Mark Levinson stereo upgrade- moderately rare... EXTREMELY rare without nav, probably the rarest option of all, and only available as special order, but then without nav it wouldn't be "fully loaded")

Headlight washers (indicating it has headlight washers obviously... which is actually a cheap option, but not very common)

A non-standard L logo on the front grille- indicating it would have PCS... (though you'd want to check in more detail as the logo itself is easy enough to swap for looks) which is the rarest option a car would need that is fully loaded

All of the above is a good 10k+ in options that most 2ISes don't have... while just having nav/backup camera is a lot more common (and heated seats are extremely common, even the premium package gets those)
Old 09-10-10, 07:26 AM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Petco sells this stuff called 'clean-air'. Sprinkle it on the carpet, leather and anywhere else. Wait 12-24 hours and vacuum it up. Smell gone with no perfume.
Another option (somehting I did on my 94 LS) is to get a plastic gallon jug (I used an empty Folgers container), drill a bunch of half inch hole in it, fill it with regular charcoal (not self lighting kind), and place it on the rear floorboard. It'll absorb the odors.

TO really do it right you'd have to take apart the vent system and clean them out.
Old 09-10-10, 08:10 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

If the car reeks of smoke, think twice before buying it. Especially if you're a non-smoker. Chances are you can get rid of the smell. But I'd bet when that thing bakes under the sun, some smells will re-emerge to a degree and again, if you're not a smoker, that will be irritating. Just my .02.

But if you do go forward, make sure to check throroughly for burn marks. They can be in the carpet, upholstery, door panels, steering wheel, rear seats, you get the picture. If you're really particular, a burn mark that you didn't make can be a thorn in your side (trust me; a friend burned a hole in my very new car before).

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Mark Levinson... EXTREMELY rare without nav, probably the rarest option of all, and only available as special order, but then without nav it wouldn't be "fully loaded")
Good to know. I got everything I wanted except for ML, but I needed a car fast and Nav was not coming to Hawaii in 2007. It kind of bummed me out from time to time when I thought about how much I'd like a better system.
Old 09-10-10, 09:01 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a pro detailer and they should be able to take car of it.
Old 09-10-10, 09:08 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz

A non-standard L logo on the front grille- indicating it would have PCS... (though you'd want to check in more detail as the logo itself is easy enough to swap for looks) which is the rarest option a car would need that is fully loaded

If my car didn't have this I would definitely have it put on. It did it's job rather excellent in an emergency situation and it's too bad that it's being discontinued. If only people really knew how worth it the price tag for it is. You cannot put a price on what this function did.
Old 09-10-10, 03:41 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I put some air fresheners called My Shaldan at the Filipino store. Smell good.
My Shaldan air fresheners work good, however they will only mask the problem. They definitely won't get rid of the smell. They do smell good though.