IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The ongoing success of the 2IS

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 05:34 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CleverName
What amazes me is that for a platform that is now 6 years old, the performance aftermarket following is absolutely appalling.
Lack of tuning, lack of ECU hacks, lack of Nav hacks, lack of proper camber and suspension parts, lack of improved steering components, missing aftermarket service manuals, it goes on and on,....
From what I've seen, most buyers of premium brands aren't into hacking up their cars as much. The reason is that the cars themselves cost more, so if your main goal is modification it probably makes more sense to buy a less expensive car and put more $ into the parts. Also higher-end cars have more electronics and specialty components, and hacking it up just reduces the chance that the dealer will be able to bail the modder out once he screws something up and voids his warranty. Modding is sort of the art of gambling that the car buyer knows better than hundreds of Lexus engineers, sometimes it comes out in favor of the modder, or more likely the modder just enjoys the art of modding. If the latter then probably a less expensive initial purchase is a lot smarter.
Old 09-13-10, 06:20 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

I must admit when the 2is first came out it didnt really appeal to me that much. i was driving an 02 gs430 at the time. i went on to buy a g35 coupe and somewhere along the lines i fell in love with the 2is. Also just to chime in on the insufficient mods comment im not that much into modding but i feel like there is a fair ammount of options available out there.
Old 09-13-10, 06:47 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm quite amazed and happy for Lexus this current car is still selling very well despite it's age. I am still seeing many brand new IS's on the road. I believe the styling is the number one reason this car is appealing, along with the attractive lease programs that have been offered for several years now.

About 10 years from now, I am confident this car is going to be looked at as one of those big success stories in the company's history. Also believe this will be a sought after used car for those who want to play on a bit of nestalgia and memories. It's one of those all-time successful designs, like the clean and simple Honda Accords of the 90's, that anchor a company's longterm credibility and stability. Whoever designed this model really did his homework and deserves to be patted on the back.
sure as long as you dont account for all the recalls.
Old 09-13-10, 08:27 AM
CleverName
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
umm... the is350 has 11.8:1 compression ratio, do you understand the meaning of this?
lol- An interesting comment to say the least having grown up in the '60s and and '70s when cars were pushing 12:1 and even 13:1. Your concern over my knowledge level is appreciated but unwarranted as I have not only been wrenching my own cars for 36+ years and involved with grass roots motor sports for the last 20, but also hold a Federal A&P license. In short, I "understand" far more than most simple car mechanics out there.

However, my ECU comment was more in tune with accessing the can-bus, to gain control over all the sub systems of the car. The fact you can buy the cable and software for any VAG car for $400, but no such consumer item exists for a 6 year old Lexus, is sadly disappointing.

Suspension is another weak link of the IS. The track capability of the car is just begging to be let out, but no precision suspension tuning (front camber/caster) is available. Dropping a cars ride height without these adjustments is fine for kids showing off 20"rims, but far from the professional way of doing the job right.

The vague and numb steering has been a thorn in the Lexus side from day one, and probably the major reason it continues to loose reviews against the BMW 3 series.....yet not one fix exists. Why is there no replacement rack for the steering system, (or EPS ECU hack)?
I'd be happy with a company that simply rebuilds the existing electronic rack with lighter internal coils/magnets, or improved linkage to allow more feedback to the wheel.

The ISx50 is a beautiful design, yet it continues to miss the mark year after year. With some of these basic areas addressed, the IS could easily stand toe to toe with BMW and actually beat it in many respects. Instead, because the 2GIS aftermarket is centered on bling instead of refining the performance, we will always be relegated as "second best".

Originally Posted by MBTC
From what I've seen, most buyers of premium brands aren't into hacking up their cars as much.
I'm sorry, but this is simply way off mark unless you are referring to the ISx50 as some Bentley or other such luxury car. The design is targeted at the battling the Euro market
However in the upscale European market there is no lack of serious performance upgrades in nearly ANY existing brand regardless of the vehicle cost. An enthusiast knows no limits, and always seems to seek improving the design. Lexus owners on the other hand seem to embrace these imposed limits as "acceptable".
It simply strikes me as odd.
This car could be so much more....

Vince
( I've done it now! Where did i put that old nomex suit?)

Last edited by CleverName; 09-13-10 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-13-10, 09:50 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ You my friend are right on point!

I have to agree that the 2IS has been a successful car, it's design has outlived many other designs in it's class and it's doing quite good for itself.

In reference to what CleverName posted, I have to agree that it's sad this car didn't see that much change in terms of performance minded upgrades. I have to give it to Lexus for pushing their F-Sport line. Although not too crazy of an upgrade, substantially good enough to change the dynamics of how the car rides and handles.

Even then most of the 2IS community is all "bling" all show & no go. Even after Lexus does events like the F-Sport performance events, most cars are just blingd out with no purpose other than to look pretty. In my humble understanding Lexus tried starting a movement to push Lexus owners out on the track, to my surprise that percentage of us that really go out there is extremely low. If Lexus is ever to become what it's euro counterparts are in the racing / performance minded world people are going to have to start asking for that change to happen. And I don't mean having companies release more camber / caster arms so you can slam your car VIP, no I'm talking about real use, real track use!

I for one can say going forward that this car has good potential to be a track monster like it's euro counterparts. I don't care so much if my tires are stretched enough or if my car is slammed enough, I want real use out of my car. That's another reason why I haven't spent much on mods because if I ever make an upgrade it will be a full out one with track ready components.

Now if only they sold that supercharger kit here in the states for a reasonable price that would be interesting.
Old 09-13-10, 10:16 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I was just looking at the Lexus website... and thinking to my self... the IS sedan is one of the best looking sedan on the road today. Def my top 5

Awesome.. just awesome.. I mean just look at it.. the lines of the car... the design... everything just looks.. right.
Old 09-13-10, 10:20 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

I'm sorry, but this is simply way off mark unless you are referring to the ISx50 as some Bentley or other such luxury car. The design is targeted at the battling the Euro market
However in the upscale European market there is no lack of serious performance upgrades in nearly ANY existing brand regardless of the vehicle cost. An enthusiast knows no limits, and always seems to seek improving the design. Lexus owners on the other hand seem to embrace these imposed limits as "acceptable".
I recall reading the 2IS is available at Europe, albeit at a much higher cost than Americans pay for it, and is held in high regard as a luxury item. Do you mean lots of aftermarket performance upgrades are available for purchase in Europe for this car but not the US?
Old 09-13-10, 11:04 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

lol- An interesting comment to say the least having grown up in the '60s and and '70s when cars were pushing 12:1 and even 13:1.
Which ones ran CRs like that and then had power-adders put on top of them at that CR on pump gas?

However, my ECU comment was more in tune with accessing the can-bus, to gain control over all the sub systems of the car. The fact you can buy the cable and software for any VAG car for $400, but no such consumer item exists for a 6 year old Lexus, is sadly disappointing.
What were you hoping to accomplish with this access, specifically?

Suspension is another weak link of the IS. The track capability of the car is just begging to be let out, but no precision suspension tuning (front camber/caster) is available. Dropping a cars ride height without these adjustments is fine for kids showing off 20"rims, but far from the professional way of doing the job right.
Why do you assume the car would perform better with a significant drop?

Several folks have speculated that the slammed ISes out there have actually hurt their performance dropping the cars roll center under ground level.

The vague and numb steering has been a thorn in the Lexus side from day one, and probably the major reason it continues to loose reviews against the BMW 3 series.....yet not one fix exists. Why is there no replacement rack for the steering system, (or EPS ECU hack)?
I'd be happy with a company that simply rebuilds the existing electronic rack with lighter internal coils/magnets, or improved linkage to allow more feedback to the wheel.
.87 skidpad IS350
.86 skidpad 335i

68.5 slalom IS350
68.9 slalom 335i

Pretty similar numbers.

I know the BMW has some magical "feel" to it that reviewers love but can in no way actually measure or define... but in terms of actual performance the cars are nearly a dead heat... and the 335i costs a lot more similarly equipped too.

Supposedly the $20 steering wheel damper from the IS-F will make the 350 "feel" better though if you're into the feel thing.

The ISx50 is a beautiful design, yet it continues to miss the mark year after year.
and yet continues to sell like crazy. Odd, huh?

With some of these basic areas addressed, the IS could easily stand toe to toe with BMW and actually beat it in many respects. Instead, because the 2GIS aftermarket is centered on bling instead of refining the performance, we will always be relegated as "second best".
In 2007, for example, BMW sold about 58,000 3-series. Lexus sold about 111,000 ISx50s.

How is the IS "second best" again?

I understand mods would be great.. but honestly, the % of people who care is REALLY REALLY small.
Old 09-13-10, 11:38 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kurtz summed up my reply as well.
Old 09-13-10, 01:08 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

The 2IS are definitely "cute" and the cheapest option in the current lexus lineup. The GS and ES are too bulky and the Camry is too ugly.
Old 09-13-10, 05:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The 2nd gen ISx50's are in 5th year and still selling at a decent rate. The styling is clean and still looks modern.
Old 09-13-10, 05:42 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

The aesthetics is definitely one of the best. Quite honestly I have an 07 and wherever I park the vehicle, people still say "hey you have a nice car."

As with other luxury companies like Porsche, I believe this styling is here to stay. This whole L-Finesse thing has it going for Lexus but sometimes I fear it getting a little too far and end up looking ugly (IMO the new CT and HS aren't exactly pretty). I just have this gut feeling the 3IS will end up being a significant redesign that I'll hate. But I really hope I'm wrong.

But most importantly, I love my car. And I love everyone else's car in this forum too! (Just not as much as I love my own muahaha)
Old 09-13-10, 05:58 PM
LexHes
Driver

AGREEEE'D It has its pros and cons.. but thats with everything and anything you buy.. Well there are some exceptions but thats neither here nor there

Good post
Old 09-13-10, 06:41 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Which ones ran CRs like that and then had power-adders put on top of them at that CR on pump gas?

What were you hoping to accomplish with this access, specifically?

Why do you assume the car would perform better with a significant drop?

Several folks have speculated that the slammed ISes out there have actually hurt their performance dropping the cars roll center under ground level.

.87 skidpad IS350
.86 skidpad 335i

68.5 slalom IS350
68.9 slalom 335i

Pretty similar numbers.

I know the BMW has some magical "feel" to it that reviewers love but can in no way actually measure or define... but in terms of actual performance the cars are nearly a dead heat... and the 335i costs a lot more similarly equipped too.

Supposedly the $20 steering wheel damper from the IS-F will make the 350 "feel" better though if you're into the feel thing.

and yet continues to sell like crazy. Odd, huh?

In 2007, for example, BMW sold about 58,000 3-series. Lexus sold about 111,000 ISx50s.

How is the IS "second best" again?

I understand mods would be great.. but honestly, the % of people who care is REALLY REALLY small.
great points mentioned, with facts to back it up.
Old 09-13-10, 06:53 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 119 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by kuuqi
The aesthetics is definitely one of the best. Quite honestly I have an 07 and wherever I park the vehicle, people still say "hey you have a nice car."

As with other luxury companies like Porsche, I believe this styling is here to stay. This whole L-Finesse thing has it going for Lexus but sometimes I fear it getting a little too far and end up looking ugly (IMO the new CT and HS aren't exactly pretty). I just have this gut feeling the 3IS will end up being a significant redesign that I'll hate. But I really hope I'm wrong.

But most importantly, I love my car. And I love everyone else's car in this forum too! (Just not as much as I love my own muahaha)

I Actually hope the 3IS is fugly. It will make our cars look better. Also make us keep our car in pristine condition. You never know, some 20-50 years from now. Our car might be rare, or a part of history ahaha

Quick Reply: The ongoing success of the 2IS