IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So how hard is it to peel off tint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 06:41 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So how hard is it to peel off tint?

I got some tiny bubbles here and there on a tint job. Had the guy do some of the windows over but its not up to my standards. Im having him take the tint off all the windows except the back window. I was advised by a guy I am going to have redue them to not mess with the back window because of the defrosters. But the more im thinking about it the back window has the bubbles as well. You really cant notice them but it just bothers the hell out of me and my OCD, lol. I was thinking of just peeling it off myself with no heat gun or anything. Will I have much luck? And if so will some 70% rubbing alcohol clean up the glue substance?
Old 09-13-10, 06:44 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

How long ago did you have this done? small bubbles are actually typical when tint has been put on for the first time and it will naturally flatten out within a day or 2.
Old 09-13-10, 06:54 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexy250
How long ago did you have this done? small bubbles are actually typical when tint has been put on for the first time and it will naturally flatten out within a day or 2.
its been on since june, these arent going away. it just pisses me off that every window has like 5 or so of these tiny bubbles. The back has even more scattered throughout. Im going back in forth in my head if I should just leave it or not. the tinter himself said its going to happen and theres no perfect tint job
Old 09-13-10, 06:58 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Man, I feel you on the OCD. I paid a fairly hefty premium to get my tint done by the BEST guy in my region. I found only one bubble on my car measuring less than 0.5 mm wide, and I had him redo the whole window. A perfect (at least to the naked eye) tint job is possible.

I can tell this is going to bother you - keep complaining until they make it right. Shouldn't the shop by removing the tint to fix their mistake, not you?
Old 09-13-10, 07:06 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

the guy is giving up, lol. I already had him redue 3 windows a week after the job. I just brought it back to show him what im telling you guys. I just asked him to remove the tint and im going elsewhere to get it redone. He is removing the tint free of charge but like I said he advised me as well as the new place that I should leave the rear window because you can damage the defrosters when removing. But like I said the rear has tiny bubbles to. I dont know if I should just ask this guy to take it off or try it myself. I dont need my defrosters messed up, I just got the car 5 months ago.
Old 09-13-10, 07:27 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure I read your post correctly, but if both shops are telling you to leave it alone, seems to me you shouldn't even try to DIY. If anyone is going to take it off, have a shop do it so that they're liable for any screw ups.
Old 09-13-10, 07:27 PM
MiamiIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same OCD that you have.

My tints finally got a bubble after 1 year and half of using my rear defroster. I've realized that no matter how great the tint job, they will eventually get a bubble, due to the heat and cold, will create moisture slowly but surely.

I would take it to like the best shop around, and ask them to remove the tint and re-tint it again with the highest quality tint they have.

If you do it right the first time you will never have to redo them again for a couple years.
Old 09-13-10, 08:08 PM
dmLsix
Rookie

If you decide that you want it off then you should get a tint shop to take it off, don't DIY.

It really does suck taking tint off when it is completely dry and the glue settled.

But tinting a back window really is hard to get absolutely zero bubbles in it.

Try to flat all the bubbles with your fingernail without scratching the tint and see how it looks.
Old 09-13-10, 08:11 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

hmm my tint was done at the dealership, dark as i could go and they offer a lifetime warranty on the tine for anything! i accidentally scratched the tint on 2 seperate occasions and they replaced it. pretty nice imo
Old 09-13-10, 08:13 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

its quite easy to take off tint except the back window. I would advise you to take it to a professional shop and pay to get the back window tint removed. The defroster line are very easy to mess up. But its quite easy to remove tint by the steam method. and the glue residue comes off glass quite easily, the only hard part is not destroying your defroster lines.
Old 09-13-10, 10:04 PM
FiLtHyGS
Rookie

i use to remove tint at the shop it really depends where u are removing the tint. if it the rear window u would need a steamer not one of those thin blade but if it just a regular window u could easily remove it with some soap(dawn preferrable) and water and a thin blade but u always start on the top corner of the window as soon as it comes out by a little bit u try to rip it out by hand by pullin on it an for the glue spray water with soap mix in a bottle an spray it to the window an simply glide the blade on the window as the glue will slowly come off in chunk