IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

15K Servicing--What is really needed and what is just fluff?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 03:18 PM
Bravo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15K Servicing--What is really needed and what is just fluff?

I have a 2010 IS250 that I purchased last fall. I'm getting close to needing the 15k servicing so I called the dealership where I purchased the car from to make an appointment.

The $420 price tag prompted me to ask what services were actually involved in the package and it turns out that they want to change my transmission and rear differential fluids.

I'm not car savvy at all but this seems excessive.

Out of curiosity I called a closer Lexus dealership and asked them about their 15K servicing. It was $80 cheaper and did not include changing the transmission or rear differential fluid but they **WOULD NOT** tell me what it did entail. (Funny how all of this is shrouded in secrecy)

I guess my main question is do these fluids need to be changed at 15,000 miles or am I being taken for a ride?

Also, why would 2 Lexus dealerships in the same geographic area offer 2 very different service packages for 15K mile servicing? Isn't there a brand/geographic standard?

My service manual doesn't say anything about the transmission/rear differential fluids for this type of servicing either.

I live in the California Bay Area and drive under normal conditions.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 09-14-10, 03:29 PM
sangomaru
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you need for 15K is an oil change, air filter, and cabin filter. However, you can do the last two items yourself.
Old 09-14-10, 03:49 PM
Bravo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sangomaru
All you need for 15K is an oil change, air filter, and cabin filter. However, you can do the last two items yourself.
Thanks so much. I don't think I am capable of doing the other fluids myself but when should I have them do it?
Old 09-14-10, 04:23 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the transmission fluid never needs to be changed. its a sealed transmission. but you can do it if you want too. i change my rear differential fluid at 37k miles and the oil was black.
Old 09-14-10, 04:26 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need to change trans and diff at 15k for goodness sake. They are synthetic and some will argue last the life of the vehicle depending on driving habits and conditions. In the maintenance manual, which goes up to 150,000 miles, it only mentions inspecting both the trans and diff fluids unless towing. Also, your car being a 2010 may be under the bulletin that claims you can change your oil with 0w20 synthetic and go 10,000 miles between oil changes. You have to check with the dealer for that.
Old 09-14-10, 05:34 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravo1
I have a 2010 IS250 that I purchased last fall. I'm getting close to needing the 15k servicing so I called the dealership where I purchased the car from to make an appointment.

The $420 price tag prompted me to ask what services were actually involved in the package and it turns out that they want to change my transmission and rear differential fluids.

I'm not car savvy at all but this seems excessive.

Out of curiosity I called a closer Lexus dealership and asked them about their 15K servicing. It was $80 cheaper and did not include changing the transmission or rear differential fluid but they **WOULD NOT** tell me what it did entail. (Funny how all of this is shrouded in secrecy)

I guess my main question is do these fluids need to be changed at 15,000 miles or am I being taken for a ride?

Also, why would 2 Lexus dealerships in the same geographic area offer 2 very different service packages for 15K mile servicing? Isn't there a brand/geographic standard?

My service manual doesn't say anything about the transmission/rear differential fluids for this type of servicing either.

I live in the California Bay Area and drive under normal conditions.

Thanks in advance for any help!

First, assuming it's an automatic transmission, it's physically impossible to change a significant amount of it, and even the owners manual doesn't ever call for changing it.

The rear differential fluid can physically be changed but again it's never called for in the scheduled maintenance in the manual.

At 15k you need an oil change.

You'd also check (but not necessarily change) your cabin and engine air filters.

That's it.

In fact, all you ever need (by the book) is this:

Every 5k:
Oil change (see below)

Every 15k:
Check the cabin and air filters

Every 30k:
Change brake fluid

Every 60k:
Change spark plugs

Every 100k:
Change coolant.

That's all

Regarding oil, the manual says every 5k. In reality you can pretty comfortably go 7500 on conventional oil, and at least twice that on synthetic.

That assumes normal driving. If you instead do a lot of short trips and/or excessive idling then I'd suggest you change considerably more often with the cheapest stuff you can find.

Above all... don't ever ask a dealer for the "X miles" service. He'll charge you 2-3 times more for the stuff you actually need then probably add several things you don't.