Steps to fix my crashed IS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 05:03 PM
omgswifty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexasRN
anyone costing me 10 stacks for nothing is definitely getting his chin tested
definately. i tink lexus enforces lexus productsm this sounds farfetched but maybe a junkyard search? though i doubt there would be alot of our cars in there. but it is an good cheap option to salvage parts.
Old 09-20-10, 05:55 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

whats funny is they can't force you to sign that exemption form, its complete BS. And it's ILLEGAL for them to deny coverage on your car because you were driving it. That's basically saying if you went somewhere your dad, and he ended up becoming intoxicated, he'd still be better off driving because you would not be covered.

Insurance covers the car regardless of whose driving. It could be a thief, stranger, or child, coverage still exists. Exemption forms are a way for insurance companies to attempt to muscle people like you into eating the damages yourself because your dad didn't want to add you to the policy. I'm a professional when it comes to stuff like this. I've owned/driven 10 cars in the past 10 years, ALL insured by other people. I've gotten into accidents here and there under other people's policies and never had a problem.

Actually, my girl has progressive now and thats who my is350 is insured through. 2.5 years ago we had progressive as well and my license was revoked. not suspended, but revoked. I rear ended a guy because he stopped at a yield TWICE and smashed up my evo X. It was 15k in damage AND the guy i hit AND his wife claimed they were injured and went to the hospital in stretchers. They ended up being cut loose with prescription tylenol and progressive paid them 8k to shut them up. After paying out 23k, when they wanted to add me to the policy, we told them NO. Flat out. They said we had to sign an exemption form and we said NO. Case closed. Needless to say, we still have progressive, I still drive cars on the policy and I'm still NOT on it
Old 09-20-10, 06:15 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with RPMSteve, I believe Progressive is still liable to pay you for all the damages. The insurance is for the car no matter who is driving it. Best of luck to you on getting the car fixed and moving on with your life.
Old 09-20-10, 06:21 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm.......I think my insurance is on ME, not the car. Which is why my driving record and location is important when quoting rates. I can drive other people's cars and be insured, even if they have no insurance on said vehicle.

Edit: Actually I think I better check into that. But I'm pretty sure that's what it is for me.

Last edited by Micaiah; 09-20-10 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 07:15 PM
Micaiah

ANYWAY...

Check the lease agreement. There should be something there about liability in terms of accident. Something about coming to terms with the leasing company about who what where, what parts should be involved.
Old 09-20-10, 09:47 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mxis350
Yea I went true the entire chain. But they have in their power a signed document so they don't care sense that covers them from any legal action I could take against them...

Tell me about it man. Right now im just focused on getting rid of the car (all my deat) finishing my divorce and just restarting my life from scratch...
Just drag them to court.

Insist that you never signed any such paper and lay down your reasons ie you do not live in the same house...why would I sign such a document? Insist that the document is a forgery.
Old 09-21-10, 01:20 AM
mxis350
Lead Lap

Well I went true the contract and found nothing about crashing a car with out insurance. All it talks about is making sure you have insurance and such...
Old 09-21-10, 04:16 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Many lawyers do free consultations. I suggest you give that a shot rather than trying to figure out your contract with either Lexus or the insurance company yourself.
Old 09-21-10, 05:55 AM
Micaiah

BTW do the body panels have stickers with vin's on them? Someone said they did. Will the leasing company look for those?
Old 09-21-10, 06:39 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Hmmm.......I think my insurance is on ME, not the car. Which is why my driving record and location is important when quoting rates. I can drive other people's cars and be insured, even if they have no insurance on said vehicle.

Edit: Actually I think I better check into that. But I'm pretty sure that's what it is for me.
No, your wrong. Obviously you need a human being to setup insurance for a car and obviously rates are going to vary depending on whose driving the car, location, and type of car, BUT insurance goes with the car. When you drive someone elses car, and your crash it, it's their insurance company that covers it, not yours. Insurance companies cannot exclude certain people from driving cars. That would put them in a horrible position if for example, the OP was somewhere his father and god forbid his father had a heart attack and they had no phone to call 911. If he had to drive his father to a hospital, he's not covered?

This exemption form is just them trying to muscle people out of claims. If that was me, I'd have that cleared up in one phone call. I'd be suing them for the claim, cost of alternative transportation AND all of my lease payments since 30 days after accident, plus an industry standard for storage of the car since 30 days after the accident as well.
Old 09-21-10, 09:36 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

RPMSteve and Kurtz are correct (IMHO).

I would definitely start by getting a free consultation from a lawyer. It's free and there's absolutely no harm in investigating different options.

It's easy to fall into a trap of "well I'll just take care of it, rather than going through the hassle of attorneys, etc.", but is it worth 10k? In many cases with a slam dunk case, you can pay a minimal retainer and then just have the attorney do all the work. I don't know the entire situation, but this could be a scenario where the attorney contacts Progressive and they immediately fold.
Old 09-21-10, 04:44 PM
mxis350
Lead Lap

hmmm so what kind of attorney should i look for? Accident attorney or is there some sort of Insurance attorney??
Old 09-21-10, 07:20 PM
Micaiah

Originally Posted by RpmSteve
No, your wrong.
Yes, you are correct. I checked into it and I had it wrong. Thanks.