IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID Kit - Just to be safe

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 12:19 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HID Kit - Just to be safe

Just to be safe, if I order from any of the vendors on ClubLexus viz HIDExtra, XenonDepot, TspNY, they will not cause those "possessed steering wheel" incident. Right? Or should I stay away from one?

Your recommendations are much appreciated.
Old 09-21-10, 12:41 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Safe to say, no you shouldn't have that problem. As long as they are installed properly and the ballast is mounted in a secure spot away from any of the cars computers.
Old 09-21-10, 01:55 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got a xenen depot kit n it works great. no issues so far. i do agree with gc86, its all in the install. if its done properly you shouldnt have any issues with any HID kit.
Old 09-21-10, 03:04 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I will keep the ballast far away from the computers.
Ordered a 5000K from HidExtra with Free 6000K bulbs.
Let me see how they work out.
Old 09-21-10, 03:19 PM
huntarrr
Rookie

I have a cheap ebay kit I got for $40 and no problems whatsoever with the steering wheel.
Old 09-22-10, 08:48 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Wow..these guys are fast...it already shipped.
This weekend is fun times.
Old 09-22-10, 09:42 AM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

you have to note, the steering wheel problem might occur in a few months after you install the kit or maybe in a year. It all depends, we had a thread about this steering wheel possession and it seems like members who have experience this problem experienced it at different times.
I ordered my hid kit from HIDEXTRA, i ordered the slim ballast one, I did not mount it near any ecu, computer stuff, etc. I simply stuff everything inside the headlight
Old 09-22-10, 10:22 AM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by trixxx519
you have to note, the steering wheel problem might occur in a few months after you install the kit or maybe in a year. It all depends, we had a thread about this steering wheel possession and it seems like members who have experience this problem experienced it at different times.
I ordered my hid kit from HIDEXTRA, i ordered the slim ballast one, I did not mount it near any ecu, computer stuff, etc. I simply stuff everything inside the headlight
Can you take pictures of how you have it mounted/stuffed in your headlight? I apologize if you have it posted elsewhere, just let me know and I'll search some more. Thanks!
Old 09-22-10, 01:25 PM
Synetix250
Driver

agreed, its all in the install. make sure to get emi filtered digital ballasts and mount it as far away as possible from the ecu.
Old 09-23-10, 09:27 AM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
Can you take pictures of how you have it mounted/stuffed in your headlight? I apologize if you have it posted elsewhere, just let me know and I'll search some more. Thanks!
yes i'll take some pictures later, might be a little hard to stuff everything in, but it does fit and has been working perfectly for me
Old 09-24-10, 12:41 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I wouldn't be too sure. There have been complaints on this board from members that experienced radio interference after installing kits from another vendor (not us). They were advised to "wrap the ballast in tin foil" to prevent any interference. This would be an indicator that the ballast does not have EMI shielding.

Steve
Old 09-24-10, 03:49 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
I wouldn't be too sure. There have been complaints on this board from members that experienced radio interference after installing kits from another vendor (not us). They were advised to "wrap the ballast in tin foil" to prevent any interference. This would be an indicator that the ballast does not have EMI shielding.

Steve
You cannot be sure that if it doesn't interfer with the radio, that it has EMI shielding. And if it does have EMI shielding, that it's safe near or far from ECU (or any electronics).

I've been following the replies about ECU steering issues, and i hope it is just a coincidience cos there is no concrete evidence that i have read that ballasts directly effect steering.
Old 09-28-10, 08:51 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
1st pic everything is stuff inside, second picture nothing is outside no wires no nothing, 3rd pic lights on!

Old 09-28-10, 10:08 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Which Kit is this?
How did you stick the ballast inside the housing?
Old 09-28-10, 10:33 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by trixxx519
1st pic everything is stuff inside, second picture nothing is outside no wires no nothing, 3rd pic lights on!

WOW!

Holy Cow! That looks like a tight squeeze! I'm not sure I'd be able to replicate that....LOL. Good job on getting it in there though. Where did you put the ballast?

Quick Reply: HID Kit - Just to be safe