IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can I run with ECT Power mode continuosly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 12:49 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
This is a great thread! I got an '11 IS350 a couple of months ago, and was wondering exactly what the ECT PWR switch did. From what I've read, all it does is change the shift points for both upshifting and downshifting. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Any ideas?
You are correct, but it also uses computer intelligence to anticipate patterns.

Koz
Old 07-05-12, 12:48 AM
NickawdIs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a is250 awd and is wondering which is faster ect or trip-tronic ?
Old 07-05-12, 02:04 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NickawdIs
Tip-tronic/sport shifting isn't really useful on the 2IS. The system is designed so that it's basically a top gear limiter. Whatever gear you got it in, the car won't shift past that gear, but will still freely shift between all the gears up to it. So if you get up to 4th gear, the car will still shift freely between gears 1-4 based on your driving, but it wont shift up to 5th or 6th.

I stay away from using the paddle shifters and just put the ECT switch into PWR mode when I want the car to feel a little more sportier on the road. It doesn't make a difference in how fast the car really is, but because it's more "downshift happy" and hold's gears better, it feels sportier.
Old 07-05-12, 06:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The paddles are never faster than anything.

ECT-Power isn't faster in a drag race, it's slower.

It offers some performance benefit in on/off/part throttle driving only.
Old 07-05-12, 09:37 AM
NickawdIs
Pole Position

ect feels slower and when in trip-tronic i feel its stronger last night me and my boys were racing in our is250 awd and he seems 2 keep getting the jump , i have injen intake and he has f sport intake heres a pic of my car http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...41885548_n.jpg
Old 07-05-12, 09:38 AM
NickawdIs
Pole Position

he prob was in ect http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...41885548_n.jpg
Old 07-05-12, 09:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

ect feels slower and when in trip-tronic i feel its stronger last night me and my boys were racing in our is250 awd and he seems 2 keep getting the jump , i have injen intake and he has f sport intake heres a pic of my car http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...41885548_n.jpg
The car does not have a tiptronic mode.

The paddles are not shifters. At all. In any way.

The only thing they do is lock out an upper range of gears. The car remains fully automatic within the allowed range.

it's not only impossible for them to make you faster, they nearly always make you slower if trying to use them as "actual" shifters because your upshifts will never be better than the computers (since they're not really upshifts).

In any sort of drag race the best it would even be possible to do with using the paddles to "shift" would be to equal what the car could do if you just left it in D. And usually they'll do worse.
Old 07-05-12, 09:50 AM
NickawdIs
Pole Position

so ect is better ?
Old 07-05-12, 10:17 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Would ECT give you more torque in straight acceleration?
Old 07-05-12, 10:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure how many times I can explain this a different way.

In a drag race the quickest configuration is this:

Leave the car in D. Don't even think about the paddles.

Leave the car in ECT-Normal. It holds gears longer than either other setting.

Everything else will be slower. End of story.

ECT-Power is only "useful" when you're coming on and off the gas pedal frequently, not flooring the car from a stop.

Again what ECT-Power actually does is in this very thread back in post 24-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5807368-post24.html

In 4th-6th gear if you punch the gas it'll downshift quicker. This doesn't help you in a drag race since you're starting in 1st gear and keeping it floored.

In 2nd-5th gear if you release the gas pedal quickly it holds the gear you're in longer to make it easier to resume acceleration- again useless in a drag race, you're not coming off the gas till you're done.

In 4th-6th gear if you brake suddenly the car will downshift rapidly to increase engine braking and put you in a lower gear for when you get back on the gas- again, worthless in a drag race since you're not braking till you're done.

Other than that the only thing it does is change the shift pattern. And in a way that's inferior to NORMAL mode for a drag race.
Old 07-05-12, 10:43 AM
Madog350
Driver School Candidate

Default ect pwr

i use it a lot. i aslo have a rack on my 350 and when i have my kayak or bike on the rack its a must. orther than that i do like it on when sitting in traffic, makes for quciker in out of lanes. dont notce to much when in snow mode. but i live in fl so hef the snow mode.
Old 07-05-12, 10:51 AM
NickawdIs
Pole Position

yea of course ect is faster than just being in d !
Old 07-05-12, 11:17 AM
andcas7
Driver

LOL Kurtz, I have to say, I thought I had a lot of patience (I just read all of the pages on this thread) and up to this morning I had no idea this ECT Power / Snow button existed. But as you said, you can't say it in any more ways, and as I read all of the posts I understood your point, stuff I already knew about the S mode, but I had no idea trip tronic was different, only saw it once before anyway...

I guess the questions people still have are:

Does driving with ECT Power ON hurt or help MPG?

Does having it ON or OFF help or hurt transmission/engine life?

And I guess the answer is the same as how ECT Power is beneficial, whether on a drag race, cruising, or on-off acceleration. Too many different factors, so I also guess if you drive in cruising mode, ECT Power mode would actually hurt your MPG, while if you drive in city traffic, ECT Power would help your MPG due to the tranny sitting on lower gears a bit longer, giving you time to accelerate on the gear you need anyway...

Not sure how ECT Power hurts 1/4 miles but I wouldn't doubt it...

At least I now know where that button is... I will be testing it for 1/3 of my daily driving that involves city / traffic driving, and compare my MPG to what I normally get (26-28MPG).
Old 07-05-12, 11:57 AM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

I've been driving with ECT on and get 50 more miles per tank than I did without it. Is this normal?

I use to average 350 miles per tank and now i'm getting close to 400 miles.
Old 07-05-12, 12:05 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

ECT-Power makes the car slower in a race because it shifts at a lower rpm. NORMAL mode holds gears longer in a race. Repeatedly documented and datalogged (probably linked to this data earlier in the thread myself)

As to mileage, let's consider the things it does-

Originally Posted by Thing 1
In 4th-6th gear if you punch the gas it'll downshift quicker. This doesn't help you in a drag race since you're starting in 1st gear and keeping it floored.
This will "hurt" mileage in that you generally use more fuel in lower gears

Originally Posted by Thing 2
In 2nd-5th gear if you release the gas pedal quickly it holds the gear you're in longer to make it easier to resume acceleration- again useless in a drag race, you're not coming off the gas till you're done.
This would probably help mileage, at least a bit, as you'd conserve more speed then if it downshifted.

Originally Posted by Thing 3
In 4th-6th gear if you brake suddenly the car will downshift rapidly to increase engine braking and put you in a lower gear for when you get back on the gas- again, worthless in a drag race since you're not braking till you're done.
And again this'd hurt mileage a bit as lower gears generally offer worse mileage.

Now, none of it will make a massive difference... and the type of driving that benefits at all from ECT-Power is the on/off gas type driving that's not great for mileage anyway regardless of ECT mode... so if you're doing the type of driving seeing a lot of thing 1 and 3 you'll probably see a small mileage hit... doing a lot of thing 2 maybe slightly better... not doing a lot of on/off throttle at all you might see slightly better mileage in ECT-PWR simply because it shifts to higher gears sooner in smooth acceleration... but I doubt it'll add up to more than 1-2 mpg either way.

yea of course ect is faster than just being in d !
This doesn't even make sense. D or S has nothing to do with ECT mode.

But again, fastest in a drag race is D and ECT-Normal (not Power)

Quick Reply: Can I run with ECT Power mode continuosly?