IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can You Extend Lexus CPO Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10 | 11:30 PM
rob stolen
Driver

Default Can You Extend Lexus CPO Warranty?

I have an IS that was purchased with the Lexus 3yr/100K CPO warranty set to expire in a few months. Has anybody extended their CPO warranty?

As you may know, the Lexus CPO Warranty is NOT as comprehensive as the bumper to bumper warranty, but is pretty close. I would imagine it is similar to the Lexus Platinum Warranty with no deductible.

People typically extend warranties on the bumper to bumper, but I was curious to see if anybody has had success extending their CPO warranties.

Please do not post and tell me that I do not need the extended warranty since it is a Lexus. Since I've bought the car, there have been 2 major TSB surgeries on my car's engine (idle grinding noise and valve recall) including countless other TSB's. I've also had the left headlight's AFS go out recently (light would not turn/move with steering wheel, motor busted, replaced with brand new headlight). The ML sub has gone out twice (I do not play my music loud) and my steering needed to be reprogrammed. If this had happened out of warranty, I'm sure the cost would have been in the thousands. The headlight alone I believe is $1500 for parts alone.

Also with a car with this many gizmos (nav screen, Levinson audio, AFS, sunshade, etc.,) there's just more to go wrong = more $$ to fix.

I think if you have just a base model, then you're probably in much better shape to pass on the warranty. But with all these electronics, I'm not that confident based on my past experiences.

I plan on keeping my car just until the new model arrives (all things point to the 2013 MY), which means I'll probably keep my car until around the end of the first quarter of 2012 or maybe a little later. With my CPO expiring early in 2011, I would like to extend it for another year at least, more likely 2 years.

Anyone had success doing this? What is a reasonable price? How much did you pay? Thanks.
Old 09-23-10 | 11:45 AM
penone
Driver

Originally Posted by rob stolen

As you may know, the Lexus CPO Warranty is NOT as comprehensive as the bumper to bumper warranty, but is pretty close. I would imagine it is similar to the Lexus Platinum Warranty with no deductible.
Curious - what is the difference between the bumper to bumper and the CPO warranty?
Old 09-23-10 | 11:51 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rob stolen
People typically extend warranties on the bumper to bumper, but I was curious to see if anybody has had success extending their CPO warranties.
Is it even possible? If yes, I'm willing to bet it is going to be rather expensive.