IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 08:52 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's drizzling here. Hope it stops so i can do the grille
Old 09-29-10, 09:00 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

http://twitpic.com/2t3jmp

Looks awesome!!!!!
Old 09-29-10, 09:03 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
http://twitpic.com/2t3jmp

Looks awesome!!!!!
Think we could get some closeups?
Old 09-29-10, 09:16 AM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

Wooow! I didn't know this stuff worked that good. Im tired of getting paint chips on my grill after painting it the same week... i wonder if it would work on rims.....
Old 09-29-10, 09:30 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rebs
Think we could get some closeups?
I thought i posted a closeup yesterday. If u want even closed then I will take another pic
Old 09-29-10, 09:38 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cupid0210
Wooow! I didn't know this stuff worked that good. Im tired of getting paint chips on my grill after painting it the same week... i wonder if it would work on rims.....
Trying it on my OEM winter wheels. I will post pics when I'm done.
Old 09-29-10, 09:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

JoshIS408, please exit this thread. You made your point earler by posting the video earlier that this method is not without its potential flaws, no need to mock folks who want to try it.
Old 09-29-10, 10:13 AM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Those of you who actually try this, can you give an update every now and then as far as how well the plastidip is holding up? I'd like to know how it handles being in the elements since my 2IS in my daily driver (I'd hate to have to peel and re-spray every month). Would also like to know if it can withstand being washed.
Old 09-29-10, 10:19 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Well it won't withstand car wash drive ins....someone posted a link to the evo forum and the plastidip was peeling after going through the wash. I never take my car to those anyway...heads up though.
Old 09-29-10, 10:35 AM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

oh yeah, I NEVER take my car to those. I always hand wash it because I'm **** like that . I saw the video of the evo, and the guy said he took his car to a touchless wash (which unless I'm mistaken, means nothing actually rubbed his plastidipped parts)! With the rainy season approaching, I'm hesistant to try this if water causes it to start peeling like that! I'm hoping it holds up because it IS such a simple and inexpensive way to black out the emblems, but I'd hate to drive around with my emblems and grille peeling.
Old 09-29-10, 10:41 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

given a sufficient number of good, even coats - especially around hard-to-cover places and angular points, it should NOT rub off.

this especially holds true for the grille/grille surround, since there are a lot of those angles and hard-to-cover places.

do not expect one coat to cover it evenly. four to five should be minimum consideration.
Old 09-29-10, 10:51 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

I say it should hold up great on the emblems and grille. Now for the window trim since it so thin it might not. Thi is why I gave it 6 coats. Hopefully it holds up
Old 09-29-10, 11:00 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
oh yeah, I NEVER take my car to those. I always hand wash it because I'm **** like that . I saw the video of the evo, and the guy said he took his car to a touchless wash (which unless I'm mistaken, means nothing actually rubbed his plastidipped parts)! With the rainy season approaching, I'm hesistant to try this if water causes it to start peeling like that! I'm hoping it holds up because it IS such a simple and inexpensive way to black out the emblems, but I'd hate to drive around with my emblems and grille peeling.
Hmm..interesting. Maybe it is best to sand a lil bit down so that the paint will bond better...perhaps?
Old 09-29-10, 11:02 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

did any1 do their lx mode grille? pics plz!!!
Old 09-29-10, 11:18 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
Touchless washes are actually really bad for your car. They use really strong chemicals to strip all the dirt/bug juice/wax/etc off your car, then they use fillers that make your car look awesome for 2 weeks.. then when that wears off your cars looks bad again. I learned this from my detailer, my car is only getting washed by hand. If I don't have much time I'll go to those dollar places where you can use the high powered spray hose (assuming i can get 100% regular water coming out of it). Doesn't surprise me that the plastidip would come right off.

Quick Reply: DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!