IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 10:34 PM
CCM03
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Name:  0cc4f5f6.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  124.8 KB

Thanks for this write-up man,,here's how mine came out..

Name:  7fa0ebf0.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  164.6 KB
Old 09-30-10, 10:39 PM
TommyT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey
do you need to take of the grill when you put the newspaper on back ?

Originally Posted by CCM03

Thanks for this write-up man,,here's how mine came out..

Old 09-30-10, 10:43 PM
CCM03
Lexus Test Driver

^^^no I didn't take the grill off, I put newspaper everywhere around the grill surround, sprayed it, let it dry, then did the middle emblem.
Old 09-30-10, 11:41 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^that looks really good! How does the plastidip black look on the grill? Is it dull or does it hav like a gloss. From your pics it looks like it blends in well with the black, almost color matched. I can't wait to try it out during d weekend, I just hope it stops raining here by then
Old 09-30-10, 11:49 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

^^^its a matte finish
Old 09-30-10, 11:54 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

^^^cool thanks. Imma try it out!
Old 09-30-10, 11:55 PM
CCM03
Lexus Test Driver

^^^yeah exactly, the matte grill and emblem looks great on a obsidian black car.
Very easy mod that looks great.
Let me know if y'all have anymore questions
Old 10-01-10, 03:55 AM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey CCM03

that's exactly how i plan to wrap newspaper around my grille when i do my grille surrounds after this weekend!
just wanted to know.. as i saw you didn't take off the engine covers, you didn't put newspaper behind the grille to prevent the plasti dip to get into the hood through the sides of the grille right?
how do you wrap the newspaper around the grille inside the grille surround so it seems so flush?
and a question is, did you manage to spray the entire top portion of the grille surround? as i think the newspaper is in the way and may cover some of the undersides of the top part of the grille surround.. if you peak under there now, do you still see some chrome or you managed to get all of it?
Old 10-01-10, 07:17 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd just take the grill off and paint it. It's easier and you won't have to worry about over spray on the vehicle.
Old 10-01-10, 07:24 AM
wearegiant
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone! This post has taken a life on own... Like I stated in my original post, its not for everyone...

For those shooting your grills, I do recommend removing the grill surround and shooting it off the car so you can get it around the edges and back of the grill for a better bond. Probably less likely to get washed off

Also, everyones entitled to their own opinions. By no means does calling people cheapskates is within reason though.. :/ It's just another mod. We're all here for the same reason and it's because we appreciate modding cars. And some will enjoy different things from others.... IE eBay taillights vs isf taillights. Aggressive offset wheels vs wheels that fit without fender mods..

To each their own. We'll deal with our consequences when the mod isn't done correctly or imperfectly.

My other vehicle is an m5 and there are many owners who opted to spray their oem grills with plastidip because its reversible and durable for the application. It's also works better for them than having to put an aftermarket piece on their cars. Just because the car is expensive doesn't mean u cant still apply a mod that doesn't cost a lot of money if it works well for the owner.

Last edited by wearegiant; 10-01-10 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-01-10, 07:25 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mahcah
I'd just take the grill off and paint it. It's easier and you won't have to worry about over spray on the vehicle.
that would make too much sense.
Old 10-01-10, 08:21 AM
nairb
Driver

'09 models have to remove the bumper to take off the grill surrounding
Old 10-01-10, 08:54 AM
SB350
Instructor

Originally Posted by nairb
'09 models have to remove the bumper to take off the grill surrounding
That's not true. You just have to unscrew the 4 nuts off the bolts attaching the grille to the bumper (at the 4 corners on the inside of the grille), remove the weather stripping, and then pull on the grill until it releases from all the clips. It's not super easy, but it's also not necessary to remove the entire bumper. This is what I did when I replaced my grille surround with a color matched one.
Old 10-01-10, 09:12 AM
nairb
Driver

I've tried so hard to take the bolts off. What tool do you use? I can't get a wrentch around it without bending the top of the bumper. Seems like a risky process
Old 10-01-10, 10:36 AM
CCM03
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilentWish
hey CCM03

that's exactly how i plan to wrap newspaper around my grille when i do my grille surrounds after this weekend!
just wanted to know.. as i saw you didn't take off the engine covers, you didn't put newspaper behind the grille to prevent the plasti dip to get into the hood through the sides of the grille right?
how do you wrap the newspaper around the grille inside the grille surround so it seems so flush?
and a question is, did you manage to spray the entire top portion of the grille surround? as i think the newspaper is in the way and may cover some of the undersides of the top part of the grille surround.. if you peak under there now, do you still see some chrome or you managed to get all of it?

Nope, no newspaper behind grill, I just got masking tape and newspaper as you see in my photo and just surrounded the grill surround.
I see no reason to remove engine covers or grill surround.
Make sure you don't put the masking tape too close to the chrome because I did that the first time and when it came time to peel it off I accidenly pulled all the platidip off.
Have an knife ready to cut any strands that start to lift off. Also when finished if you have any spots of chrome left what I did was sprayed a bunch of plastidip in a bowl and got a paintbrush and used it as touch up paint

Quick Reply: DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!