IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 08:26 PM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ maybe, I would be careful with the pressure wash! I hand wash my cars, ALWAYS
Old 10-28-10, 10:50 PM
ltzSupra
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ApokC
^^^ maybe, I would be careful with the pressure wash! I hand wash my cars, ALWAYS
So do I, but when the weather here gets below 30, I call it quits on washing the car in the yard lol. Just wanted a heads up on that. I'll have to experiment with that.
Old 10-28-10, 10:57 PM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

^^^I know it will survive a lexus service car wash...bastard washed the car after I specifically said no wash.
Old 10-29-10, 07:58 AM
DexIS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by infinus
Try Meguiars plastic x it worked wonders for my G35 lenses.
I have that stuff in the garage, but a few CL members already advised me that it won't last, and Ill have to redo it again after a while. Have you had a ny issues with the hazing coming back after you did your lenses?
Old 10-29-10, 09:34 AM
rtekkam
Driver School Candidate

Default Front Bumper/Part of Hodd Plasti Dip?

Guys!
I have exhausted reading ALL pages in detail. However, I have not come across any conclusions of whether Plasti Dip can be used on a bumper as a protectant as well as possibly on the front part of the Hood. I came across 2 postings here with contradictory views

So do we have a unanimous decision on this type of task? Consequences if any

Appreciate any feedback
Old 10-29-10, 10:12 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Uh uh no way. YOU do it first.
Old 10-29-10, 10:32 AM
nairb
Driver

Originally Posted by rtekkam
Guys!
I have exhausted reading ALL pages in detail. However, I have not come across any conclusions of whether Plasti Dip can be used on a bumper as a protectant as well as possibly on the front part of the Hood. I came across 2 postings here with contradictory views

Appreciate any feedback
Putting two or three coats might protect it BUT your car will look ugly as hell. Plastidip looks great to accent pieces but it is no replacement for a professional paintjob. The hood or bumper will be matte and catch loose fibers more easily. The only way to clean it is with water (maybe some gentel brushing). Ive only used the black one but I can imagine it being clear and I would rather risk a rock chip than have my hood or front bumper look like ***** haha.

Long story short. I don't suggest it. It only looks good in small amounts or on rims.
Old 10-29-10, 10:37 AM
rtekkam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nairb
Putting two or three coats might protect it BUT your car will look ugly as hell. Plastidip looks great to accent pieces but it is no replacement for a professional paintjob. The hood or bumper will be matte and catch loose fibers more easily. The only way to clean it is with water (maybe some gentel brushing). Ive only used the black one but I can imagine it being clear and I would rather risk a rock chip than have my hood or front bumper look like ***** haha.

Long story short. I don't suggest it. It only looks good in small amounts or on rims.
Nairb,
Thansk for the feedback, I do a lot of highway miles..and winter is fast approaching. i was hoping to plasti dip just for the season and then take it off. Do you think I run the risk of paint peeling off?
Old 10-29-10, 10:45 AM
nairb
Driver

When I was doing some stuff on my car I got some on the paint and I just noticed it after a week of it being on the car and when I removed it, it looks fine. Can't guarantee it won't damage it over a longer period of time but i don't think it will. If it's for a short period, especially in the winter with all the ice and slush on the road it's a great idea.
Old 10-29-10, 11:00 AM
rtekkam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nairb
When I was doing some stuff on my car I got some on the paint and I just noticed it after a week of it being on the car and when I removed it, it looks fine. Can't guarantee it won't damage it over a longer period of time but i don't think it will. If it's for a short period, especially in the winter with all the ice and slush on the road it's a great idea.
Thank you Sir. I have a red car, so I plan to use either the Red Plasti dip OR the Clear coat. Although I still have to decide If I will risk doing this.
Old 10-29-10, 11:35 AM
nairb
Driver

Best way I can think of is use the cap of the tow hook and spray it and keep it on for however long then peal it off. Maybe 2 weeks to determine. Expose it to sun wind rain and maybe a butane lighter flame and see what happens. I don't know how much those caps are but I know they sell spares so it's the best way it seems. Good luck
Old 10-29-10, 11:48 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DexIS300
I have that stuff in the garage, but a few CL members already advised me that it won't last, and Ill have to redo it again after a while. Have you had a ny issues with the hazing coming back after you did your lenses?
Yes it will come back however my friend figured out a solution to this problem, if you use the plastic-x then clean it very well and put some clear vinyl overlays over the lights they don't fog anymore. My friend did this to his G35 and his lenses have been clear for years.
Old 10-29-10, 11:50 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rtekkam
Guys!

Appreciate any feedback
I was planing on using this to protect from rock chips/bugs as a replacement to blue tape since it would be easier to apply/take off.

The only thing I'm worried about is how it will interact with the clear bra film.
Old 10-29-10, 12:20 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you who are thinking of putting clear plastic dip on their hood, bumper, as a replacement for a clear bra or bumper aplique, I wouldnt. I worked with clear plastic dip before and it has a rough texture to it. It will attract dirt, oil, insects and whatever comes flying at your car. Those debris will not be able to come off and will most likely stain the coating. Also, the suns UV rays might just yellow it in a fast period of time.
Yes you can just peel it off and re-apply it but do you want to do it every other week?
Old 10-29-10, 12:22 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by evogt500
For those of you who are thinking of putting clear plastic dip on their hood, bumper, as a replacement for a clear bra or bumper aplique, I wouldnt. I worked with clear plastic dip before and it has a rough texture to it. It will attract dirt, oil, insects and whatever comes flying at your car. Those debris will not be able to come off and will most likely stain the coating. Also, the suns UV rays might just yellow it in a fast period of time.
Yes you can just peel it off and re-apply it but do you want to do it every other week?
thanks for the heads up

Quick Reply: DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!