IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-11 | 11:04 AM
HIDness
Driver

Originally Posted by HIDness
just got back from home depot........will post pictures by the end of the day! hopefully this is the best $6 I spent.
here's a update...painted 2 coat already and just waiting for another 45min to spray the 3rd coat. I am going to give it a total of 4 coat. I started at 9:45am, hopefully another hr or so i be done but im not rushing it.

I took these pictures with my phone so sorry if the picture look a little too blurry.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-cimg0212.jpg   DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-cimg0209.jpg   DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-cimg0210.jpg   DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-cimg0211.jpg  
Old 05-22-11 | 12:39 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Looks good man, i did mine and it came out great... i did the grill also. BTW it doesnt take 45 min to dry mine was good after 15 min its very quick.

**** Double check and make sure you spray up under the bottoms of the emblems, its easy to miss in some of the areas on the bottom because you are above and spraying from the top.

Name:  124.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  126.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  51.3 KB

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 05-22-11 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-22-11 | 03:32 PM
HIDness
Driver

here's a update...painted 2 coat already and just waiting for another 45min to spray the 3rd coat. I am going to give it a total of 4 coat. I started at 9:45am, hopefully another hr or so i be done but im not rushing it.

I took these pictures with my phone so sorry if the picture look a little too blurry.
finally is finish......best $6 i ever spent! this a must for people not wanting to pay $200 for the black chrome from lexus! going to work on the grill next weekend, still have plenty plasti dip left. The reason why i waited 45min for each coat is i just want to take my time and not rushing it. I want it done right the first time with everything i do to my car. You can open your trunk to chest level and spray it, so much easier.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-cimg0214.jpg   DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-cimg0215.jpg   DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-cimg0218.jpg   DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-cimg0216.jpg   DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!-cimg0219.jpg  

Last edited by HIDness; 05-22-11 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-22-11 | 03:53 PM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

Damn now that is dedication. It took me 1 hour to do 4 coats.
Old 05-22-11 | 04:29 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

thanks guys.. Anyone paint there roof yet? I saw the youtube vid of the rims being done.. whats the longevity and durability of this stuff? seems like it would hold up pretty good..
Old 05-22-11 | 04:33 PM
flyfl1pguy

Weird i never seen this thread before. Looks pretty good. Guess this is some kind of a project in a week or two. Now time to look for this plastidip.
any ideas where i can get this cheap?
Old 05-22-11 | 04:39 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
Weird i never seen this thread before. Looks pretty good. Guess this is some kind of a project in a week or two. Now time to look for this plastidip.
any ideas where i can get this cheap?
Home depot or Lowes...
Old 05-22-11 | 04:52 PM
flyfl1pguy

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Home depot or Lowes...
sounds good! THANKS!
Old 05-22-11 | 05:10 PM
redforeva
Rookie

I'm planning to plastidip my cracked up front lip

I'll be using

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip - plastidip
http://www.blackmagicshine.com/tire-wet.php - tire wet for shine
http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Engine-P.../dp/B001GXAS3Y - clear coat

Wish me luck, the bumper can't get any worse lol!
Old 05-22-11 | 06:52 PM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ I like ure spirit!
Old 05-22-11 | 07:09 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

I have an update for y'alls:

I plastidipped my Prius 3 months ago thanks to this awesome thread. It's holding up awesomely even around the 'hybrid' badge edges where I left it colored blue. I also left the inside of the Toyota 'T' filled it rather than peeling it off. Made it look kinda like a batman symbol. Anyways, a month ago I decided to peel off the inside of the 'T' on the front emblem hoping to preserve the rest of black emblem. It was a bit difficult because peeling off the inside pulled the badge part with it. So I ended up having to remove the whole thing. However, it was a clean remove and did not leave any residue on my paint, even after 2 months of being stuck on there. The verdict is plastidip is great stuff.

As far as Plastidipping the roof, my concern would be discoloration (since your roof is directly under the sun). Also your paint would not discolor evenly with the car, so if/when the plastidip comes off/discolors, you'd have to restore the roof with another wrap.

Last edited by macmaster; 05-22-11 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-22-11 | 08:06 PM
redforeva
Rookie

Originally Posted by macmaster
I have an update for y'alls:

I plastidipped my Prius 3 months ago thanks to this awesome thread. It's holding up awesomely even around the 'hybrid' badge edges where I left it colored blue. I also left the inside of the Toyota 'T' filled it rather than peeling it off. Made it look kinda like a batman symbol. Anyways, a month ago I decided to peel off the inside of the 'T' on the front emblem hoping to preserve the rest of black emblem. It was a bit difficult because peeling off the inside pulled the badge part with it. So I ended up having to remove the whole thing. However, it was a clean remove and did not leave any residue on my paint, even after 2 months of being stuck on there. The verdict is plastidip is great stuff.

As far as Plastidipping the roof, my concern would be discoloration (since your roof is directly under the sun). Also your paint would not discolor evenly with the car, so if/when the plastidip comes off/discolors, you'd have to restore the roof with another wrap.
Can't you just finish it off with a clear coat layer then?
Old 05-22-11 | 08:40 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

thanks for the update..
Old 05-23-11 | 12:46 PM
iceman400
Driver

Doing the emblems on my blk 93sc right now...i will have some pics up shortly...
Old 05-24-11 | 04:20 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DreamerzCC
So I finally got around to finishing my grill....sorry the car is dirty but it has been raining every other day....did the emblems a few months ago but now the grill is complete!!!!

im thinkin of doing my rear emblems and front grill this weekend, does anyone know if i have to remove the entire front bumper to get the grill off or can i remove it fairly easy..im nervous about breaking something on my 11.