IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-11, 02:26 PM
DrockSMASH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Failed with the plasti dip today, did not peel off well at all, and will have to go buy some tweezers to finish getting it all off then Ill try again. I think I may not have done enough, as it was very thin.
Old 05-25-11, 03:33 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
im thinkin of doing my rear emblems and front grill this weekend, does anyone know if i have to remove the entire front bumper to get the grill off or can i remove it fairly easy..im nervous about breaking something on my 11.
You don't have to take your bumper off at all. You can either Plasti-Dip it on the car or you can remove the grill and spray it. Here's a helpful DIY on how to remove the grill, I've used this to help remove mine...make sure you read everything carefully. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-56k-nooo.html

Good luck
Old 05-25-11, 07:52 PM
HIDness
Driver

Originally Posted by DrockSMASH
Failed with the plasti dip today, did not peel off well at all, and will have to go buy some tweezers to finish getting it all off then Ill try again. I think I may not have done enough, as it was very thin.
take your time....i did a total of 4 coats and i waited 45min between each coats. Took me a good 5hrs for the whole thing but most people here just over an hr. I want it done right the first time so I just took my time and not rushing it. Mine is still holding strong even after power washing my car today.
Old 05-25-11, 07:59 PM
DrockSMASH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HIDness
take your time....i did a total of 4 coats and i waited 45min between each coats. Took me a good 5hrs for the whole thing but most people here just over an hr. I want it done right the first time so I just took my time and not rushing it. Mine is still holding strong even after power washing my car today.
How many sprays per coat?
Old 05-25-11, 09:22 PM
HIDness
Driver

How many sprays per coat?
6 total.....3 left, 3 right and wait 45min and do another coat. 4 coat should be enough, nice and thick and can be power wash your car without worrying it might peel.....
Old 05-26-11, 01:12 AM
iceman400
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some pics of the matte black emblems on the SC

Special thanks to ( wearegiant ) for this sweet diyer.

Before

After

I am extremely pleased with the results ....more importantly the price. I am also gonna do the license plate frame and i still gotta do the front emblem. This is also one more piece of the puzzle as I continue to b1ackout the car.

Old 06-02-11, 10:08 AM
threevoIS
Driver

Originally Posted by vinconist
^^^Looking good!! Btw the heats r gona flop, lebrons too much of a ball hog and bosh just plain sucks, but other then that, looking good haha
Sorry thought this was pretty funny.

Oh and did this last night, super easy
Old 06-02-11, 03:10 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

i did my rear emblems last weekend, i didnt like it so i peeled off, but it was very easy to do and easy to remove..i did my front grill and love it, i had to repaint bcuz i scratched during the re-install process, i'll post pics once evryting is done.
Old 06-02-11, 11:23 PM
Milan
Pole Position

I noticed that the thicker I sprayed it on the paint, the easier it is to remove.

Originally Posted by HIDness
wow, that is way longer then it took me. I think from beginning to end it took me about an hour and fifteen minutes. I waited till the coat didn't have that shiny look before applying another coat. I did four coats.
Old 06-04-11, 02:49 PM
flyfl1pguy

Name:  IMAG0219.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  22.2 KB

Let's see how it turns out.
Old 06-04-11, 03:32 PM
DrockSMASH
Driver School Candidate

I tried to do my front without removing the grille, not much luck.

Taped off the entire vented area, and put back stops behind it, when i peeled it off there was still some peeling leaving chrome showing. Sigh

Ive tried many many light coats, and some heavy, with 5+ hours to dry. I think i am just an r tard
Old 06-04-11, 03:50 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

^ You're probably better off taking the grill out and spraying the entire thing. It's not hard to remove.
Old 06-04-11, 09:25 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ha... Was walking up to my car, shaking the can, about to apply my 3rd coat of plast dip when a cop rolled by slowly eyeballing me. Started sprayig, and he made a u-turn and rolled by again . I wonder what was going through his mind as he watched a 20 year old spraying something from a can onto a car covered with newspapers hahahaha
Old 06-04-11, 09:44 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

took my plastidip off, got tired of it
Old 06-04-11, 09:58 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

2 roll bys now

Next time I'll just flag down the cop and let him know what's up lol. I bet I look hella suspicious haha.

Quick Reply: DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!