IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12, 01:11 AM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spent tonight working on this mod. i am not happy the way it turned out.
did 4 coats and let dry 30 mins between coats. last coat let stand for hour. when i started to peel some of the edges started to come up and can see the chrome on the side.

do you think i did too many coats? maybe coats were too thick?

i think i'll live with it for a couple weeks and see if i still like it. thankfully its reversible
Old 03-06-12, 06:22 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You prob did it too thick that happened to me the first time I did mine...when you ray make sure there is some space still between the emblems and the car so that when you are stripping it it breaks at each letter
Old 03-06-12, 10:18 AM
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
You prob did it too thick that happened to me the first time I did mine...when you ray make sure there is some space still between the emblems and the car so that when you are stripping it it breaks at each letter
thanks, how many coats did you do?
Old 03-06-12, 11:49 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

I did mine 3 times...i think I should have done it one more time though
Old 03-16-12, 12:45 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Just redid my grill

Name:  IMG_0128.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  109.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0129.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  108.7 KB
Old 03-28-12, 04:40 PM
slownlow07
Driver

Just got my 350 and this is the first thing i've done to it. Looks very clean and very easy DIY to do. If you all are wondering, will this make it through the car wash? I wondered the same as well. Here in North Carolina we have what is called AutoBell car wash and they have a pretty good wash that has lots of water pressure and those things that smack your car. Surprisingly, the plasti dip stood through the entire wash so thats definitely a plus! PS: been through the wash several times now and still good!

Name:  back1.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  117.6 KB

Name:  back2.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  77.6 KB
Old 04-08-12, 02:52 PM
dci4life
Pole Position

Mine is in the process of drying. I did do the real "L" symbol too just didnt post the pic of it. I'll post finish pic later.

I removed the front grill and sprayed it off the car. I will do the front L later. Just seeing how it will look first.
Old 04-13-12, 09:31 PM
BAY2LA350
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

I have my rear emblems "dip"ed and love it. However, I was reading autoblog today and they had an article on foliatec: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/11/s...ious-in-a-can/

Have you guys heard of this? The website is not very descriptive, but i'm interested in the wheel applications. I've seen people plastidip rims ( white and black), but was never too impressed. What do you guys think of that green on stock crab-spokes?!
Old 04-17-12, 07:29 AM
randayn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wearegiant
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I'm not sure if this was covered here. I searched but didn't find it. If it was im sorry for the double post.

This is my first lexus and I'm digging it. I'm a member over on these boards and here are the other whips:
e60 m5
e92 335i (sold)

Problem: After searching long and hard, couldn't find any matte blackemblems to purchase for the IS350... The black pearl emblems are out of the budget so I decided to just do it myself. Like most folks I hate the idea of having to use fishing line or something else to uninstall emblems then reinstall with new 3M tape.

Credit here.

SO here goes.. shooting black emblems with PlastiDip!

Materials
1. Can of PlastiDip purchased from Home Depot
2. Small plastic pick/spackle thing.
3. Masking Tape
4. Newspaper
5. Patience
6. Rubbing Alcohol, Soap, water
7. Cotton Swabs
8. Clean Towels

Steps

1. Clean around your emblems. Use soap and water if your car's real dirty. Then make sure you get down into the cracks. Dry it off and get back in there with some cotton swabs & alcohol. Again make sure the surface is dry before you even think about painting.

2. Mask off the area with some masking tape and newspaper in case of overspray.

3. Now you're ready to spray.. WHAT? NO SANDING? Right.. no sanding. Plasti Dip is a multi-purpose air dry, synthetic rubber coating that can be easily applied by spraying. Its been used on grills by BMW, Audi and many lexus owners too. Do a search and you'll see.

4. Make sure you shake that can up and do a test pass on some newspaper so you see how much comes out of the nozzle. From there shoot a thin coat on your emblems.

5. Wait a few minutes and make a darker pass.

6. Then give it 15 minutes or so then apply a second coat. I went and did a 3rd coat. I didn't want it to appear too thick.

7. I let it dry for about an hour before i decided to pull off my masking tape. Some folks say 30 minutes. The can said an hour.

8. Now peel off the masking tape.. You'll notice the rubber want to pull off with the tape, thats no problem, just don't go rubbing it too fast. Thats no fun. when the rubber breaks and u have to get into the little cracks of the emblems to pull it off.

9. Now with your fingers, just begin peeling it back. The PlastiDip will peel off your paint no problem and it begins breaking around where the emblem adhere to the car.

10. To get into the middle areas, just use a plastic pick or your finger nail (if you have access to small fingers?) and pick at it.. It'll just peel off like dry elmer's glue again.

11. Enjoy your new emblems.

FAQ
How long does it last especially without any prep work like normal paint?
Again, its a synthetic rubber spray.. It requires no prep besides a clean surface to adhere to. The plastidip does last long, and if there is a blemish, peel that stuff off your emblems, mask and repeat.

Have you used it before? How do you know?
I've sprayed my BMW front grills and emblems and they've held up for a couple years without any chips. Car washes are fine too Also do a search, you'll find a lot of people using plastidip.

Remember, to each their own. This look isn't for everyone. I have matte black wheels so I decided to go this route on the car. Enjoy!

Enjoy!
This is my first Post, and I want to thank you and this forum, I was in the process of removing my emblems, did a search, found this and did it yesterday.

Worked great and saved me a lot of time and effort. thanks again.
Old 04-17-12, 08:27 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Welcome....what part of FL are you in
Old 04-17-12, 09:32 AM
koolwip350
Driver

wow thats a good job and looks great, i will def try it on mine.
Old 04-17-12, 09:56 AM
ill eagle
Driver School Candidate

Looks official.
Old 04-17-12, 10:59 AM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

Name:  398968_10100152411004493_57212022_39747377_57819472_n.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  103.5 KB

i jacked it up the first time, i think i didnt let the dip dry long enough because when i was peeling it off, it peeled off the letters too. gonna use some goo gone and take it all off, clean it again, and do it slower this time.
Old 04-26-12, 02:44 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Plastidip pros... to the guys who have done their wheels... when the Plastidip starts to fade do you just peel it off and spray them again or do you just spray over them???
Old 05-06-12, 01:43 PM
RoninEng
Driver

So after 68 page I have not seem anyone do headlights so this week I am going to plasti dip one of my used cars headlights, I will pos pics later this week

Quick Reply: DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!