IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

PlastiDip Rims question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 10:14 AM
nairb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PlastiDip Rims question

Hello, after seeing that DIY just posted about plastidiping the emblems I got to thinking about other things, then someone posted a video of plastidiping rims. I jumped up because I've been wanted to just powder coat my rims but I found that a high quality job costs about $400-$500...might as well get real rims for that much lol.

So, my questions is: How easy is it to remove plastidip from rims, if anyone has had experience with it? I have an 09is250 with stock 17' aluminum alloy 12 spoke (I think its 12 haha) silver/gray rims.

I have searched the forums and found a lot of people just plastidip the grills and other things (ie: most people plastidip plastic not painted metal/alluminum in particular) and they say it just peals right off or comes off with your fingernail but before I go and mess up my stock rims I thought I'd see how easy it would be to remove it from rims.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-10, 10:54 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

It's like removing electrical tape. When you spray your rims, you're only going to cover the front face. The back of the spokes won't be covered SO you can peel it from there.
Old 09-26-10, 10:58 AM
nairb
Driver

thanks for the info!
Old 09-29-10, 03:53 AM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does anyone know how would i cover up the rims so that the plasti dip won't go onto my brakes? cause i think it would cause a degree of danger if the plasti dip were stuck on my brake discs right? lol
Old 09-29-10, 04:01 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SilentWish
does anyone know how would i cover up the rims so that the plasti dip won't go onto my brakes? cause i think it would cause a degree of danger if the plasti dip were stuck on my brake discs right? lol
you serious Clark?

take the wheel off
Old 09-29-10, 04:03 AM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
you serious Clark?

take the wheel off
shoot what the hell was i thinking....

i knew to take the wheels off but for some reason my mind was telling me the breaks come off with the wheel...... i just got into the office

i'm a superman fan
Old 09-29-10, 04:05 AM
mou
Pole Position

I plastidip'd my brother's wheels before but took it off. Dirt sticks to it pretty easily and it started coming off after I sprayed water on it.
Old 09-29-10, 07:14 AM
simple
Pole Position

Youtube is ur friend - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLsu6TQPvq4
Old 09-29-10, 07:41 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silentwish
shoot what the hell was i thinking....

I knew to take the wheels off but for some reason my mind was telling me the breaks come off with the wheel...... I just got into the office

i'm a superman fan
lmao.. ....
Old 09-29-10, 07:55 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I wonder how this stuff holds up to heat..
Old 09-29-10, 07:59 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

I am just thinking of painting my rims--duplicolor has some nice black and black chrome, (black with a better shine)--especially designed for wheels. It is more work to prep the rims, but worth it. and later I can always have them powdercoated since the powercoating process requires professional sandblasting to remove all paint and finish first.
Old 09-29-10, 08:19 AM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SilentWish
Dam dude you really hate using tools...haha.
Old 03-15-11, 06:20 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

do you HAVE to take off the wheels? any dripping if you dont?

taking off each wheel individually with a factory jack and babysitting the car in my building lot for 6 hours doesnt sound like a pleasant day.
Old 03-15-11, 08:32 AM
nairb
Driver

If you don't take off your rims you will have to make sure you cover your breaks very well. Which also means you can't spray the sides of the spokes as well. It doesn't drip really, unless you put a lot on at a time. I did quick spray bursts of 1-2 seconds. I'd say taking the wheel off is the best way to ensure an even coat. BUT it's plasti dip so it should come off easily if you try it while on the car. Just let it dry and peel/scrub it off and try again
Old 03-15-11, 08:56 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

yes, you absolutely have to take your wheels off if you dont want runs in the dip. plastidip is matted. if you want shiny, you're going to have to powdercoat or try duplicolour. Plastidip does not hold up to heat well. it's rubber and will shrink like shrink wrap when exposed to heat. Brake heat isn't enough to affect it though.

Dirt does not stick to it if applied correctly and it's had enough time to dry properly. I have my stockies plastidipped and they have held up to dirt and a pressure washer just fine. No peeling or anything. It peels off wheels very easily, provided you actually took the time to mask it properly and gave it AT LEAST 6 hours to try. Painting of any kind isn't something you can rush. Do not drive on them for at least 24 hours.

Quick Reply: PlastiDip Rims question