IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

valve spring recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 01:48 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tmoriarty your input is very much appreciated!

Although sometimes people here might get carried away, you have to stop and realize that our techs see our cars more than anyone else and really know the ins and outs on them. So they know more about consistent issues and ways to address them, so although you might be concerned about your paint finish and how your lowered car is handled at the dealership, you have to think that the techs were trained to work on 'stock' forms of the vehicle. There are two to three people the car goes through before it gets handed to a tech at the dealership so human error is almost impossible since they are not machines.

I'd like to just add that I greatly appreciate techs that are willing to share a wealth of knowledge with the community. And if you don't like the way things are handled at your local dealer then find another or learn how to DIY.
Old 09-27-10, 03:43 AM
Tmoriarty
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well as far as why it would perform better, when your engine is running, every time a cycle of the engine is completed the exhaust valves and intake valves are shot open and slammed shut, the problem with the old valve springs is that they would lose their tension under extreme heat and extreme use. thats why with the new springs they hold up in the heat and shut alot faster. sometimes the valve can kind of hold open a little longer than designed. thats what this recall addresses. and the hydraulic lifter replacement ensures that they are properly adjusting themselves to take out all of the slack
Old 09-27-10, 07:41 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmoriarty
well as far as why it would perform better, when your engine is running, every time a cycle of the engine is completed the exhaust valves and intake valves are shot open and slammed shut, the problem with the old valve springs is that they would lose their tension under extreme heat and extreme use. thats why with the new springs they hold up in the heat and shut alot faster. sometimes the valve can kind of hold open a little longer than designed. thats what this recall addresses. and the hydraulic lifter replacement ensures that they are properly adjusting themselves to take out all of the slack
The old ones as in the stock ones or the 2 out of 1000 cars that would have actual valve spring problems?
Old 09-27-10, 05:33 PM
Tmoriarty
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the old ones as in the ones we are replacing. yes barely any of them will actually break or crack but they are all weaker than designed when under extreme heat. we have had 2 gs350s and 1 ls 460 that actually had a broken valve spring. no is350s yet. hopefully none to come either
Old 09-27-10, 06:08 PM
tylern24
Driver School Candidate

also little hint*** not sure if every dealer is doing it but with our recalls Lexus pays to fill your tank of gas as a way of showing their appreciation. so bring it in empty!!!!!!! haha
They're doing this for mine! I dropped it off this evening and am suppose to be able to pick it up on Wednesday.

Thanks Tyler for the inside info. Always fun to hear from Lexus Techs!
Old 10-03-10, 06:45 AM
BenzTech
Driver School Candidate

Besides the fact that as techs we get screwed by only getting paid 7 hrs for the whole job that takes 11-14 depending on the tech i think as a customer you should be thrilled. as long as

I found this thread looking on google to see what the buzz was on the street about this recall.

I'm a Lexus tech and while the first few can take 8 to 10 hrs on the GS350/IS350 I can do them working at a comfortable pace in 6 hrs.

Of course I do have 30 years experiance as a tech, but the V-6 is fairly simple to work on.

I'll be starting on the LS460's in the next week or so & I'll post up how those go.

As far as dropping keepers and having them go into the oil pan, the TSB
clearly tells you to plug the oil drain holes before starting the repair.

It also shows that in the ALE video you should have seen.
Old 10-03-10, 06:51 AM
Rattltrunk
Rookie

I believe I just got this done to mine.
My car was acting like it was going to shut off every time i stopped.
Lexus of Tampa Bay cleaned out the top engine and then they called me and told me they had to replace the valve springs, took a whole extra day so this sounds about right.
Old 10-03-10, 07:43 AM
MYIS18
Driver School Candidate

I just found out about this recall 2 weeks ago when I took my car in for an oil change. I'm also having the grinding sound from the cam gears needing to be changed through that tsb. So tomorrow I'm dropping it off for the new cam gear replacement, and the valve spring replacement.
Old 10-03-10, 10:52 AM
305is350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the recall done to my car, and to me it feels the same the car has 20K miles, now I wonder why I didn't get a full tank?
Old 10-03-10, 12:45 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

When the recall is done, is the oil changed too? (along with the filter)
Old 10-03-10, 08:17 PM
neweyslex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Great question.. I am taking mine in soon. I'd also asked them to change the oil while they are at it. I would think that changing the oil will be part of this recall. Need the techs expert to chime in.
Old 10-04-10, 03:53 PM
BenzTech
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by neweyslex
^Great question.. I am taking mine in soon. I'd also asked them to change the oil while they are at it. I would think that changing the oil will be part of this recall. Need the techs expert to chime in.
Not part of thr recall. I recommend you do it though.
Old 10-08-10, 06:14 PM
wendymhl
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

I have '06 IS 250 and last week my car just got sluggish all of a sudden, then shaky and I couldn't accelerate. So I stopped and restarted the car. It was back to normal.

But I speculated so I brought my car to the dealer and just found out that I have carbon filled valves. The bad news: the advisor said that my car is not qualified for the recall and told me to call Lexus Corp. to complain.

I need advises on how to put this case together. Please everyone! Thanks.
Old 10-09-10, 08:16 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dammm. I have a IS 250 and it did he same thing twice to me. I took it in and they tried to blame my intake. I said BS. Then they said a few cylinders were misfiring. They fixd it, but am always worried.
Old 10-09-10, 10:14 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

I'm getting my valve spring recall done on Wednesday, along with the low dust brake pad tsb.

Quick Reply: valve spring recall