IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Wow, really?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 09:32 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you want to do with your car? Are going to race it?

If you're not going to race, why bother with all the horsepower mods? You'll only be wasting your money or getting yourself into trouble with street racing. If you need a quick car that's reliable, go for the Lexus IS350. It has enough power for some thrills without the extra headaches. Fuel pump isn't the only problem with BMWs. Look it up on JD Power and you'll see how BMW / Mercedez / Audi compares to Lexus on reliability.

I had a choice between BMW /Acura /Audi. Mercedez was quickly eliminated because the reliability is in the toilet. The BMW service sucked cack. They were a bunch of stuck up pigs that will ignore you if you look young to them. I basically stood at the BMW lot by myself when there was no customer around. Only one dealer came up after me asking several of them for help... and he said I had to wait a month to get the car I want. Noone wonder why BMW was empty...everyone else was buying Lexus.

In the end, it's the service and support is what really count. Lexus stood by me on my purchase and stood by after. You don't want to get stuck with a car that the dealer will give you a hard time about.
Old 09-29-10, 11:16 AM
Synetix250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would go with the lexus. bmw's are hella sleek and smooth (and you do pay for the name in a way), but long term reliability can be an expensive issue. lexus/toyota will have better reliability in the long run. as far as im concerned, the mods you are able to do aftermarket for the IS are pretty good-but im not doing anything extreme either. if you aren't going to race it and it's going to be a weekend cruiser or a even daily driver, i imagine you probably won't do too many extreme mods to it anyways. just my 2 cents..
Old 09-29-10, 12:25 PM
00LexusGS3
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I did put the ISF in mind but my parents said that they wanted me buying brand new. Unless i come across a real nice deal on a F, ill most likely be buying brand new.

This car will be a daily driver to school and weekend cruiser and also have some mods to make it faster but it wont be heavily modded. Most likely itll have some wheels, some slight engine mods, etc. Ill most likely be takin the car to drag strips every now and then and be doin alotta WOT's on the road.

For the cobra and cts-v, im more of a foreign/imports guy. If i were to buy a cobra, id prolly buy a supra and drop a couple stacks on that instead of a cobra. for the cts-v, id rather buy the ISF or even maybe a M3
Old 09-29-10, 12:36 PM
00LexusGS3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Initial_K
If only I had rich parents as well.

As for the 350 Lexus vs 3 series BmW (there's already a mega thread for this?) I say neither. If you get a Lexus next year, you'll regret it once the 3rd Gen IS comes out in 2012 and you're stuck with an older Gen car for the next 4/5 years while everyone else moving to the next best thing. I don't plan on keeping my 2IS long, I' just waiting for the 3IS to come out.
lol i actually started to laugh when i read this. I worked very hard for this car and proved to my parents that im capable of doing things. My mom drives a 00 GS3 that has 160K and dad drives an 03 tundra. trust me bro, were not rich

as to waiting, i like the 2IS very much, i really dont think anything can get sexier than that. Its like the TL, i hate the new TL, id rather buy a 04-08 for half the price for a model i like better.
Old 09-29-10, 12:37 PM
WickedOne
Driver School Candidate

I had the same dilemma and went with the IS250AWD. I love everything about that car. I was looking for a 2007 in the mid 20s like you said. THEN I found out that Lexus (at least my local dealer) is doing a great lease deal right now on 2010's. So, I am leasing a 2010 for the same price as buying a 2007, and the buyout at the end of the lease is cheaper than what I was going to pay to buy the 2007 anyway. So now I pay the same price for a brand new car instead of a 3yo car. Deal ends tomorrow 9/30, though.

A lot of people don't like leases, but it's another option to think about....
Old 09-29-10, 12:39 PM
VPIS350
Driver

2011 IS350 f sport FTW! Luv the one on tv right now.
Old 09-29-10, 12:42 PM
00LexusGS3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by VPIS350
2011 IS350 f sport FTW! Luv the one on tv right now.
F sports are a must bro. F sprot exhaust will be one of the first things to do..i do like the sound of the drums on the commercial. wouldnt get that color unless it was a F tho
Old 09-29-10, 01:53 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

from what ive read so far and on ur first post... u said u needed a car thats going to last for a long time till u are able to buy one on ur own?

if thats the case then u pretty much answered ur own question.

ive worked very hard for my parents and never got a car yet alone a LEXUS. consider urself very fortunate to have such parents.
Old 09-29-10, 02:05 PM
650IS350
Lead Lap

I had a choice between C350 Mercedes/ 335I Coupe or 4dr / IS350

I had to choose which one had great customer service, RELIABILITY, Gas Mileage, Cost of repair after warranty was gone, Cost of parts, How the dealer would treat me if I added after market stuff on it , etc etc.....

Those questions eliminated the Benz and Beemer from my choice. Also didn't want to be thought of as the stuck up Benz driver or A-hole beemer driver.
Old 09-29-10, 02:07 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

if I was gettin a free car i would go with isf if tuner Is a must for you
Old 09-29-10, 02:13 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 00LexusGS3
lol i actually started to laugh when i read this. I worked very hard for this car and proved to my parents that im capable of doing things. My mom drives a 00 GS3 that has 160K and dad drives an 03 tundra. trust me bro, were not rich
What do you mean work hard for it? and capable of doing what thing? I'm confused because you said your parents made you a deal to buy you a new Lexus next year if you're a good boy. That's some really nice parents.

oh yeah, go ahead and get a Lexus 2IS next year, it's your choice. There's a lot of happy 1IS buyer that bought their car in the final years.

Last edited by Initial_K; 09-29-10 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-29-10, 02:26 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Buy the awd is350 nuff sed
Old 09-29-10, 05:26 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

it's not a bad option to drive what your parents drive. this way, you can gain some insight on what's to come in terms of cars in the near future, as well as to save up and maybe earn a little extra income with a part time job or something. my parents worked hard for their income, and when it came time for college, they offered to drive me to college (daily commute). i thought that was a great gift in of itself because they took the time out of their hectic early mornings to drop me off en route to work. i would've been fine biking or even taking the bus to college everyday, but it really made me appreciate my parents that much more for offering to take on an extra task. they eventually decided, after two years in college, that it'd be best to drive my mom's old but reliable 92 ES300 for my last year. to this day, i still reminisce on my dad telling me, "son, how are you gonna get a girl on a bike?" gotta love the parents....
Old 09-29-10, 06:13 PM
psychosane
Rookie

must be nice having the parents buy you the car...
Old 09-29-10, 07:55 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 52 Posts

nothing wrong with parents buying cars for their kids (even if it is a lexus ), as long as that kid appreciates how lucky he is to have such luxuries and priviledges then why not? my mama had to help me make my last three payments cuz i was broke =P

Quick Reply: Wow, really?