IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Wow, really?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 05:43 PM
00LexusGS3
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wow, really?

Dont u love it when things mess up right when something good is about to happen in ur life. Well i sure do.

Well this past weekend i was supposed to sign papers for a 2008 Lexus IS250 AWD, but turns out the guy who had it before wrecked it and fixed with some very cheap parts. My dad and I decided to pass that one up. i was so pissed when i heard that the guy wrecked it but i couldnt do anything about it. i really did like the car but i dont want a fixed up one.

Well on the way home, my parents made me a deal. They said i could wait till next year sometime and buy a brand new car or still buy one right now for about mid 20's. Well i decided to wait while i could drive my parents cars, i dont mind that much ( parents cars are in the sig). Well now i have another problem, i dont kno what car to choose. I really have 2 cars in mind right now, 2011 BMW 3-series vs 2011 Lexus IS350. I kno i should be puttin this is the bimmer forums to but i cant find any links. ( links would be helpful thanks).

BMW: I really like the brand name BMW and really like the look but i heard a bunch of problems with them and i dont really like the interiors. Im concerned about the reliability because i need a car that will last me a very long time as i will be driving it till i can buy my own.(which will be a very long time probably lol)

Lexus: I really like the new IS as my cousin has an 08 IS250 AWD and i drive it all the time ( thats y i was supposed to be buyin one). I kno Lexus has good reliability, I like the looks of the exterior and interior, seems easier to mod and seems as if its for younger drivers. I really like both cars but cant buy both.

I just want some oponions of wat u guys think? ( most of you would prolly say Lexus since this is a Lexus forum lol )
Old 09-28-10, 05:50 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LEXUS, of course... get the new IS350 in USB... I love that color...
Old 09-28-10, 05:56 PM
00LexusGS3
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 516IS
LEXUS, of course... get the new IS350 in USB... I love that color...
i was leanin more towards the 350 too, but im likin starfire pearl on black interior
Old 09-28-10, 06:00 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

BMW. more aftermarket modifications are available for them.
Old 09-28-10, 06:01 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a 350 but what ever u do dont get black
Old 09-28-10, 06:01 PM
Willdb15
Lead Lap

i am doing the same cross shopping
hers what i have come up with
bmw will be faster with a 799 tune and if you want to be really fast drop about 3 grand for inter cooler downpipes and meth with that setup ive seen guys keep up with lambos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcs_n...layer_embedded

the lexus is faster stock but really no aftermarket real performance parts.

the lexus does have a better interior but bmw isnt far behind the red coral interior with silver trim in the bmw is amazing

also as far as reliability there were problems with the bmws fuel pumps but that has been worked out with a ecu update and the fuel pumps have a 100k warranty so thats not an issue.

ive seen many bmws running for over 300k and the same with lexus and toyota my mom currently has a 279k rx so they will last

bottom line is the cars are the same price bmws faster lexus has a better interior reliability is alittle better for the lexus but again bmw does have the fuel issue fixed

if i was you if i worried about speed and i mean crazy speed get the bmw if you want top line luxury interior get a lexus
Old 09-28-10, 06:04 PM
Willdb15
Lead Lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gu5s7pB6qM

dont get me wrong im not a bmw fanboy i have a lexus and love it but a car under 30k that can keep up with a lambo and beat a gt3 rs is impressive

oh and heres another good one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaRt085_E8A
Old 09-28-10, 06:11 PM
vinconist
Pole Position

To be honest the interior of the BMW is like siting in a cave, it's plain, it boring...but it depends on wat ur looking for, if u want performance go with the BMW 335...if luxury and comfort, isx50 or the lower 3 series...ur gona spend 8 grand for less then 100 hp on the is350, while 500 bucks for 100 hp on the 335 and it's reversible so it won't affect warranty...on the reliability part, every cars different, u could get a lemon even with a Lexus, but if u do all ur maintenance on time, reliability shouldn't be a issue with the 335...just don't get a 07 335, their turbos r messed up haha
Old 09-28-10, 06:15 PM
Willdb15
Lead Lap

wait whats wrong with 07 335i's turbos im looking into those cars
Old 09-28-10, 06:16 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

heres something to think about, BMW yes very easy to make very fast BUT~ ever notice how ppl who up their hp never ever talk about spittin metal in their oil pans? and with the POS reliability of BMW STOCK... how do you think it is adding 100 MORE hp??? ever wonder why these guys (hell any uber modded tubro car) are always at 'the speed shop'? they say~ oh im rebuilding the motor putting in forged this/forged that~ why? cuz they blew their stock motor and unless you have money to put forged this/forged that then dont even try... course once you add forged internals, have no fear something else will blow~ its the dream vs reality

Lexus? sadly no real power upgrade, you get what you get but what you get will stay with you for ALONGGGG TIME~

whats more important? only you can decide.
Old 09-28-10, 06:28 PM
Willdb15
Lead Lap

ive only heard 3 335i's blow and thts cause they were pushing 35+ lbs. of boost

honestly if you want a fast reliable car your options are audi lexus bmw and mercedes lexus best interior great looks
audi also good interior good looking
mercedes cmon its a mercedes nice interior great looks
bmw ok interior nice looks
Old 09-28-10, 06:40 PM
RDAVILA702
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Willdb15
ive only heard 3 335i's blow and thts cause they were pushing 35+ lbs. of boost

honestly if you want a fast reliable car your options are audi lexus bmw and mercedes lexus best interior great looks
audi also good interior good looking
mercedes cmon its a mercedes nice interior great looks
bmw ok interior nice looks

Or buy an 03/04 Cobra throw about $2,000 and make 525rwhp. I know it's a Ford and the interior isn't much to speak about. They are a great bank for the buck car. Just sayin...

My choice would be the BMW. Simply because it has more tuneability than the Lexus. Eventually you'll want to go faster, a lot of people do.
Old 09-28-10, 07:32 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

From the perspective of an aggressive driver:
- BMW 335i vs IS 350, it's a tough one but I'd pick up the BMW and accept the fact that I'll be paying for big $ in maintanence later on
- BMW 330i vs IS 350, I would get the 350 hands down
Old 09-28-10, 07:32 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oooo a video of me! haha just in case anyone is wondering. I was running 5.5lbs of boost in that video and I'm pretty sure my belt was slipping then too. I'm now running 7.5lbs and no slippage and re-ran that same car and held up MUCH better, still lost but it was night and day difference.

In the end it depends on what YOU want. Reliability? Speed? Mods? The way I see it, BMW has much more options out there for mods compared to the IS. That's one of the major factors I see. I'm lucky to have boost and the car is freakin fantastic! LOL but not for long....

Last edited by iSuxeL; 09-28-10 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-28-10, 07:54 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like you said, most ppl here will say go for the IS350, however most ppl here had the same dilema as you.
if you compare a 3 series to the IS350 let it be ONLy the 335i.

Quick Reply: Wow, really?