IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID Kit, EMI Interference - How to Reduce/eliminate

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 01:39 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HID Kit, EMI Interference - How to Reduce/eliminate

Come to think of it, every ballast I have seen from Philips / Denso / Matshush-i-ta / Panasonic comes in a full metal box with metal brackets. Even the cheaper China made kits that copy this design are full metal jacket enclosed. Is it because this creates a Faraday cage and will provide EMI protection to the other electronic components of the car?

Also, this means that the ballasts should be bolted to the metal frame of the car so that it is grounded, and not simply zip tied anywhere.

Additionally, A great deal of noise may come from the High Voltage lines between the ballast and the bulb, especially if your ballast has an external ignitor. The best way to combat this EMI may be to get some stainless steel hose sleeves from the Home depot or Autozone and run it over the wires..and make sure that they touch the car frame to be grounded.

Food for thought.

Last edited by chikoo; 09-29-10 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-29-10, 01:47 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heh? I have a DDM kit in my fogs, no problems. But I do get all kinds of engine noise in my aux port when I listen to my iphone music
Old 09-29-10, 01:54 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RpmSteve
heh? I have a DDM kit in my fogs, no problems. But I do get all kinds of engine noise in my aux port when I listen to my iphone music
That might be the EMI crackling it.....
Old 09-29-10, 02:27 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

weird, I'll deal for now until i get a vais tech
Old 09-29-10, 02:50 PM
DAng87
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RpmSteve
thats not from your HIDs, theres a tsb about that, i think the aux jack itself is faulty.
Old 09-29-10, 02:57 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You elimnate the problem by buying an HID kit with an EMI filter. Talk to xenondepot; CL vendor he will help you solve your problems with proper equipment.
Old 09-29-10, 03:18 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
You elimnate the problem by buying an HID kit with an EMI filter. Talk to xenondepot; CL vendor he will help you solve your problems with proper equipment.
That is not the point here.
Point is why do the big guns make Ballast with full metal cage and metal bracket. That is to provide a level of redundancy when electronic EMI filters start going out. That will happen even to XenonDepot kits. If Philips expects theirs to go, what is xenon depot? At least that is what I believe is the design.
Old 09-30-10, 03:45 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
You actually solve the problem by buying a car fitted with Xenon from the factory.

But like I said, that is not what I am driving towards. I am driving the point that you need to install the kit so that it is on the frame of the car, and not zip tied to a plastic part or powertrain cables. That way, in the event of EMI leaks, the Faraday cage will be effective.