IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Time to dump IS250 - Quality lacking

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-10, 05:05 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If those are your reasons for getting rid of a lexus then dont buy a VW or any German car for that matter, lol. You will have alot more dumb stuff go wrong with them.
Old 10-04-10, 05:21 PM
Likwid XTC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sry to hear the problems u encountered. I have an 08 n it has bout 60100 miles on it n its still going strong with no problem what so ever. I had an is300 before it n it had no problems. N the customer service I have at my Lexus dealership is second to none.

N I guess expensive to me is talkin 40k ish plus range. Alot of cars are in the 30k range these dAys. I bought mine brand new for 32k ish
Old 10-04-10, 06:06 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

BrianL, just curious if you know which plant yours was made in? In theory it should not make a difference, but when I see such differences in overall quality experience I wonder about that.
Old 10-05-10, 10:02 AM
BrianL
Driver School Candidate

Don't know which plant. Guess i could determine based on VIN?

Thanks all for the helpful comments. I'll prob end up sticking with the IS250 until its paid for - 2 more years. And there's no other (affordable) car out there that really excites me.
Old 10-05-10, 02:19 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

To be forward. When someone recently joins a forum to complain about a car that is part of the site I tend to take it with a grain of salt (huge one).

From my experience, I like warranty work. Its free, replace with new parts etc, free loaner car I can put miles on, free test drive without any hassle.
Old 10-05-10, 02:25 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by soulsoarer
To be forward. When someone recently joins a forum to complain about a car that is part of the site I tend to take it with a grain of salt (huge one).

From my experience, I like warranty work. Its free, replace with new parts etc, free loaner car I can put miles on, free test drive without any hassle.
well said
Old 10-05-10, 03:54 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by soulsoarer

Stuff breaks.

It's quite amazing that a product we use almost daily can last for 3-4 years before having any major issues - I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head that does significantly better.

To the OP - you are complaining about an issue EVERY direct injection car has (Lexus among the least worst of them), and a headlight that went out. You'll spend more on tires than these two things are costing you.
Old 10-05-10, 05:27 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When Lexus fixes the carbon buildup issue I'll be a lifer. What I like about Lexus is that if something does go wrong you have free road side service and a loaner car waiting for you. Pretty awesome in my book, along with the fact that Lexus' tends to be reliable cars.
Old 10-05-10, 05:51 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

HID will last for 3000 hours depend on your usage....

If you want something that doesnt burn out....try LED headlights.... =X
Old 10-05-10, 06:15 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

When I first bought my 07 IS250; I too, found myself in and out of the dealership more so than I wanted to be. I got the, Brakes squeak/dust fixed, AUX static noise fixed, cold engine knock fixed, fuel delivery pipes replaced, rear brake dust boots, and AFS on left headlight fixed (stopped moving). All happening within a couple of months of ownership. Everything was performed under warranty (thank goodness!). Even with all these problems; I still find myself randomly looking out the window because the car (exterior/interior) is just that sexy, lol! The smooth riding and quick pick up (mind I came from a civic ex) is decently enjoyable. There are some hiccups with this car but, I think the overall quality is great and have no regrets whatsoever with my decision....
Old 10-05-10, 07:30 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Think about EVERY single problem you have had with your Lexus and think about how much money have you actually spent fixing it. Now think about any other vehicle with a common problem, did they have a TSIB of a sort for it? Let alone fixing it for free.

I'm quite happy with Lexus. Almost every single problem that I've had with the car seemed to have happened AFTER it was announced meaning Lexus had already found a solution to the problem before I even knew about it. Aux static noise? Never noticed it until I read it here on CL, brake dust? Didn't bother me until I Read it here. cold engine knock? Read it here. Fuel pipes? Didn't know til I got the letter. Dust boots the dealer told me about it and took care of it. My driver headlight went out after I hit a REALLY big pot hole on the highway. And oh I'm out of warranty and my dealer still fixes any minor issues for free.

I bet if you saw any of these types of issues on any other vehicle you'd disregard it as normal and probably pay for fixing some of them. That's just my two cents. Lexus built an image of quality but we can't honestly expect perfection. I mean the slogan is "pursuit of perfection" not "perfection achieved" haha. oh and i'm not lashing out at anyone if it sounds that way. sorry. just wanted to express my perception.
Old 10-05-10, 09:07 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OPTiK
When Lexus fixes the carbon buildup issue I'll be a lifer.
Actually according to their TSB the carbon issue was addressed starting with a certain 2010 VIN sequence. What I haven't been able to figure out is what they changed.
Old 10-05-10, 09:13 PM
09lexus250
Rookie

sorry to hear you had a few things go wrong. some things do wear out over time tho. and as far as quality not being there all brands and models have their issues if you dont believe me just check out any forum and you will see the issues people are talking about the problems you have are far less than others are having with other models. i have a 2009 250 awd, and i came from a 2006 civic si coupe, and honda is known for quality it was my 4th honda i had owned and the civic was the newest and gave me the most issues with steering and transmission issues and i was the only owner and been driving manual for over 10 years. so it wasnt user error. it was why i got rid of the car so fast.
Old 10-05-10, 09:31 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kuuqi
Think about EVERY single problem you have had with your Lexus and think about how much money have you actually spent fixing it. Now think about any other vehicle with a common problem, did they have a TSIB of a sort for it? Let alone fixing it for free.

I'm quite happy with Lexus. Almost every single problem that I've had with the car seemed to have happened AFTER it was announced meaning Lexus had already found a solution to the problem before I even knew about it. Aux static noise? Never noticed it until I read it here on CL, brake dust? Didn't bother me until I Read it here. cold engine knock? Read it here. Fuel pipes? Didn't know til I got the letter. Dust boots the dealer told me about it and took care of it. My driver headlight went out after I hit a REALLY big pot hole on the highway. And oh I'm out of warranty and my dealer still fixes any minor issues for free.

I bet if you saw any of these types of issues on any other vehicle you'd disregard it as normal and probably pay for fixing some of them. That's just my two cents. Lexus built an image of quality but we can't honestly expect perfection. I mean the slogan is "pursuit of perfection" not "perfection achieved" haha. oh and i'm not lashing out at anyone if it sounds that way. sorry. just wanted to express my perception.

Seems like you're pointing at me with the second paragraph...
Old 10-11-10, 01:17 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC
Actually according to their TSB the carbon issue was addressed starting with a certain 2010 VIN sequence. What I haven't been able to figure out is what they changed.
Yeah, but I mean a perma fix for the cars that are affected by it.

Quick Reply: Time to dump IS250 - Quality lacking