IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Product Warning Nokya Hyper-yellow Fog Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 10:53 AM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quang
wow... cross it out from my mod list, but isn't 70W too high?
From what people told me, 70w is tooooo high. Most cars can only handle 35w to 55w.

Last edited by steezy; 10-05-10 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-05-10, 10:55 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

how can those lights burn at 70w? Doesnt our car as well as most only put out 55w? 70w is what the bulb can handle for the brightest output. If you have a 70w in a 55w harness you should only be getting 55w through that 70w bulb.

And all those aftermarket bulbs dont last to long. I had PIAA's and they would burn out one a year atleast. And thats with having my DRL's off on my old VW. The lights only would be used in the dark. I actually kept the receipt and every year id change the date on it and fax it over to PIAA as if I just bought the bulbs a month prior. They would always send me a replacement free of charge, lol
Old 10-05-10, 11:06 AM
Secksee
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

55w and have not had a problem yet
Old 10-05-10, 11:08 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been running the same pair of Nokya 2500k 9006 bulbs for 3+ yrs now with no problems, i recommend them to everyone and i will continue to recommend them.
Old 10-05-10, 11:14 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

please do not post warnings about bulbs that are doing their job. this is clearly user error as the harness is not rated that high.
Old 10-05-10, 11:16 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally, I would go with the luminics.... since it is rated at 55w ... unlike the 70w nokyas. Better to play it safe.

http://www.luminicsbulbs.com/jdm_yellow.php
Old 10-05-10, 01:29 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have luminics.

i think the problem lies in that you should have used dielectric grease on the connection part to seal out any moisture and dirt.
Old 10-05-10, 03:10 PM
Hapa88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flektone
how can those lights burn at 70w? Doesnt our car as well as most only put out 55w? 70w is what the bulb can handle for the brightest output. If you have a 70w in a 55w harness you should only be getting 55w through that 70w bulb.

And all those aftermarket bulbs dont last to long. I had PIAA's and they would burn out one a year atleast. And thats with having my DRL's off on my old VW. The lights only would be used in the dark. I actually kept the receipt and every year id change the date on it and fax it over to PIAA as if I just bought the bulbs a month prior. They would always send me a replacement free of charge, lol
Higher wattage Halogen bulbs draw more power and more current. If the bulb is rated at 70w, it will attempt to pull 70w through whatever wiring is feeding it. HID, on the other hand, the wattage is for the most part regulated by the ballast (except at initial turn on). I've really only seen 35w and 55w HID kits, so those shouldn't overload the wiring (except at startup).

From my experience, most aftermarket bulbs don't last as long because of a few reasons.
1) they are sometimes higher wattage, therefore the run at a higher temperature, thus they burn out quicker.
2) many are coated with some color filter (these are yellow coated, some are blue coated for an HID look). This coating causes a concentration of heat to build up, much like it does if you get finger prints on the bulb glass. The excess heat causes them to die quicker.

For the OP, I found these tables that might help determine if the stock wiring is large enough for the 70w draw the bulbs are requesting. A 70w bulb needs about a 15 -18 gauge wire to power it according to these tables:
http://www.clubknowledge.com/Car_Audio_FAQ/?t1
http://www.rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm

Last edited by Hapa88; 10-05-10 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-05-10, 04:00 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

can anyone post pics of your yellow 9005s running at 30% power in the day light?
i'd like to buy a set.. but still debating between PIAA and luminics.. well nokya WAS on my list until now
Old 10-05-10, 05:32 PM
CLIS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SilentWish
can anyone post pics of your yellow 9005s running at 30% power in the day light?
i'd like to buy a set.. but still debating between PIAA and luminics.. well nokya WAS on my list until now
LUMINICS:

also have PIAA City Light bulbs, right behind the DRL, but i dont happen to have a picture of that. I also went safe with the Luminics instead of the Nokyas, just paid a little bit more.
Old 10-05-10, 05:39 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CLIS250
LUMINICS:

also have PIAA City Light bulbs, right behind the DRL, but i dont happen to have a picture of that. I also went safe with the Luminics instead of the Nokyas, just paid a little bit more.
thank you so much man!
i guess yellow DRLs are the only ones that can differ from the stock yellow
all other coolors (white, blue, purple) all end up being stock yellow at 30% power

are these the ones u got?
the link giants posted above
http://www.luminicsbulbs.com/jdm_yellow.php

if so i'm buying!
Old 10-05-10, 06:12 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

You need a high wattage harness if you run those. That happened to me with my DRLs
Old 10-05-10, 06:19 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
You need a high wattage harness if you run those. That happened to me with my DRLs
last post before u go buddy?

are u referring to the nokyas or the luminics i posted?
do we need a high wattage harness with those luminics?

i guess having a high wattage harness with a higher watt bulb will make the DRL more yellow? or does this not make a difference in DRL mode with 30% power?
Old 10-05-10, 07:26 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
please do not post warnings about bulbs that are doing their job. this is clearly user error as the harness is not rated that high.
Aaaalllllright then..... these 9006 bulbs state something like 70W output at 55W power.....so as to imply more output than power. I would NEVER put in bulbs with a higher wattage than OEM. Buyer beware, Here is the pic of the packaging on my bulbs NOTE STOCK WATTAGE

here is some text from ebay

NOKYA PN NOK7610 TWO (2) NOKYA BULBS

Product Description
The Nokya Hype Yellow bulbs are a line of high performance light bulbs. Eurostyle yellow light with a HID appearance at 2500 kelvin. For poor weather conditions yellow reduces light glare at night. These are stock output halogen headlight bulbs. Improves your driving at night during poor weather.

Product Specification

Bulb Type 9006 (HB4)

Wattage 55 Watts - 2500K

Pro Halogen Technology
Old 10-05-10, 07:28 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
i have luminics.

i think the problem lies in that you should have used dielectric grease on the connection part to seal out any moisture and dirt.

I think this may have been the reason in all honesty, I ran them for a while before this happened....perhaps dirt or corrosion increased resistance thru the contact and caused the failure

Quick Reply: Product Warning Nokya Hyper-yellow Fog Bulbs