IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Urgent:Need Gurus and Techs please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 02:16 PM
☼Breeze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent:Need Gurus and Techs please!

Ive got on 08 IS350 and just took it in for the valve spring campaign. We got the car, left, and maybe got 3 miles down the road and had just hit the bypass and i was ROLLING smoke to a point where i couldn't see the cars behind me. Called lexus and they send out some ***** of a manager and a service tech. Of course it takes them forever to get there and by this time it's not smoking. The tech gets out, pops the hood and says "oh you pinched a valve cover and it threw a LITTLE oil on the motor, causing the smoke." What he failed to do was ask if i had looked. I spoke up and said "A little, Oh really now? Because ive already looked and its quite a bit." He then says "Okay thats a lot of oil thats been spilt." So they leave us a loaner car and we trusted them telling us they would tow the car back seeing as how there's no telling how much oil we've lost. Just got a call...They didn't tow it...They drove it back to the dealership just like it was without even putting oil in it. Can this hurt the engine and what should i tell them when i pick it up?
Thanks for reading,
Austin
Old 10-06-10, 04:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Pretty unlikely. Oil flow to the top end is relatively small so it's more like a finger cut than severing an artery as far as your engine is concerned. It just looks really bad when the oil hits the exhaust manifold - a little bit of oil makes a LOT of smoke.

I would have just driven it back if it happened to me. They're going to fix it one way or another.
Old 10-06-10, 05:06 PM
BlkSapPrl7
Driver

you shouldnt worry too much. its going to be taken care of regardless of the problem at this point. if they blew up your engine driving it back to the dealership you'll get a new engine. but thats very unlike. your pretty much under a verbal agreement that they are aware of the mistake. an engine runs better on low oil than excessive oil.
Old 10-06-10, 07:59 PM
☼Breeze
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.
Old 10-06-10, 10:52 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Default re

Originally Posted by BlkSapPrl7
you shouldnt worry too much. its going to be taken care of regardless of the problem at this point. if they blew up your engine driving it back to the dealership you'll get a new engine. but thats very unlike. your pretty much under a verbal agreement that they are aware of the mistake. an engine runs better on low oil than excessive oil.
is this true that engine run better on low oil? i thought it the other way around? I think I put more than needed when I changed my oil.
Old 10-07-10, 12:00 AM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

You will cause damage if you put more oil than needed. You might hydro lock your engine if you put too much. Also you will lose power because the crankshaft is now submerge with the oil causing the engine to work harder.
Old 10-07-10, 05:03 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ISBU
You will cause damage if you put more oil than needed. You might hydro lock your engine if you put too much. Also you will lose power because the crankshaft is now submerge with the oil causing the engine to work harder.
And causing oil to foam making it less or even ineffective.
Old 10-07-10, 09:58 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you overfill the oil will have to explode and come out somewhere. when you underfil, your car runs the risk of overheating, but it takes quite a bit to underfil, but not that much to overfill. so its safer to run your car with a little less oil