IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smokyis350 1/4 mile runs

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 05:19 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx

Things have gotten cooler around these parts. I was driving around (dry conditions) with traction control off a few hours ago. From around 40, I punch it and get...wheel spin in 2nd gear. I almost lost control - thank goodness this didn't cause some sort of accident.

I was shocked that even in dry conditions I could not get enough grip to safely accelerate through 2nd gear with traction control off while going 40 MPH. Seems like the cooler weather appears to have a serious effect on traction.

It has more to do with how worthless summer performance tires get in cold weather.
Old 11-05-10, 12:11 PM
lex08is350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reaction time.
Old 11-05-10, 12:40 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It has more to do with how worthless summer performance tires get in cold weather.
Yes, this is probably to blame. Ah oh well. It's nothing summer tires can't handle provided that one engages the throttle gingerly.

I think snow tires might be somewhat overkill down south when we average approximately one snow day every 10 years
Old 11-05-10, 02:38 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lex08is350
Reaction time.
For improving E/T times, R/T does nothing. You can fall asleep at the wheel, but as long as you don't cross the beams, the timer doesn't start; you will lose the heads up though. That being said, you should be aiming for better R/T as it is an essential part of the overall essence of drag racing, i.e., the human component of the situation.
Old 11-05-10, 03:45 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I have already installed the intake for the last runs. Next Wednesday will be in the 60s so I will see how I do then.

Originally Posted by Raralith
Did you lower your rear PSI? I didn't get lower 60' under I lowered the PSI to 30, and than I got pretty constant 2.0X running 24 PSI. Running 19's isn't the best either because the larger the diameter, the more the car has to spin to get the same rotation.
Yes, I lowered my PSI just a little bit. It is running better. But it seem like the track is better prepared than last time I went.

The 19's definitely killed my times. Maybe some lightweight wheels with DR will improve my 1/4 by .1 or .2.

Even with my crappy R/T, i only lost 1x.
Old 11-05-10, 06:59 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Yes, I lowered my PSI just a little bit. It is running better. But it seem like the track is better prepared than last time I went.
A little as in still in the 30 PSI range? I ran with that for quite a bit, but once I lowered it to 24 PSI, I didn't have any problems with that.
Old 11-07-10, 09:51 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

A little as in still in the 30 PSI range? I ran with that for quite a bit, but once I lowered it to 24 PSI, I didn't have any problems with that.
32 PSI. I haven't have any problem with traction. I will give that a try next week for my last few runs with 25 PSI.

I have my front tires at 40 PSI but will give it a shot with 50 PSI and see if that makes any difference.

Still trying to find the best RPM to launch the car. I have been launching at around 1100 RPM without traction problem but will try next time at 1300 RPM.
Old 11-11-10, 09:29 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Got back from the track. Broke my best record.
13.1@104.4. It was around 55 to 60 degrees. Was hoping it would get colder. I had a 30 minute break on that run and was first to go.

There were too much FWD using the wet box leaving water all over the track. I lost traction 2x and was spinning from the beginning to half way. I decided to just let off and slow down. Ran a 23 second run.

All my other runs were pretty consistent when there weren't FWD using the wet box in front of me. I've ran mostly 13.3@103 3x.

I was .02 from running a 13.0.. Hoping to at least get in the 12s when it gets even cooler in 2 weeks when the season ends. I am pretty confident I can get into high 12s with cooler weather.
Old 11-12-10, 06:21 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Time slips are up:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lexus-IS350...lip-21998.html

Might go one more time before season ends. Will keep you guys posted.
Old 11-12-10, 06:50 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

32 PSI. I haven't have any problem with traction. I will give that a try next week for my last few runs with 25 PSI.

I have my front tires at 40 PSI but will give it a shot with 50 PSI and see if that makes any difference.

Still trying to find the best RPM to launch the car. I have been launching at around 1100 RPM without traction problem but will try next time at 1300 RPM.
Lower PSI just means more contact on the road, and while it helps with traction, it also means more power hp to the wheels.

As for launching the car, I really don't think RPM launching on street tires does much. I've noticed when you go WOT, you don't move right away, rather the RPM's jump to around 1.5k and than you feel yourself start to move. RPM launching didn't seem to make a difference to me as it still took that 1/10 second for the power to get to the wheels anyways. Slicks are different because you can launch at 2.5k+ RPM and not have traction problems whereas if you did them with streets, your tires wouldn't hook.
Old 11-12-10, 07:07 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know if you got a perfect launch (1.91 60' time like toothdoc got below), that would knock off MORE than just .1 off your 1/4 mile since you're picking up that .1 second early on. You could actually conceivably get into high 12s (12.9x) which is something I always figured possible but just didn't happen because most people don't drag their IS350s.

Good luck man. The ISF is already an 11 second car (all motor) thanks to cayman. Let's see if we can make the IS350 a 12 second car (motor). Obviously with N2O it's easy to get into the 12s. I know somebody gets low to mid 12s on N2O with their IS350 (times aren't posted on dragtimes, though).
Old 11-12-10, 11:06 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Lower PSI just means more contact on the road, and while it helps with traction, it also means more power hp to the wheels.
I definitely feel more traction when I lower the PSI. My first run of the night was with 32 PSI and ran a 13.1. But that was with my engine cooled for 30 minutes and being the first person to go up which means the track was nice and dry. The next runs I lowered to 25 PSI but barely had any breaks. At most 5-10 minutes and ran consistent 13.3s even though the track was getting poorly prepped I was still able to hit consistent 13s.

As for launching the car, I really don't think RPM launching on street tires does much. I've noticed when you go WOT, you don't move right away, rather the RPM's jump to around 1.5k and than you feel yourself start to move. RPM launching didn't seem to make a difference to me as it still took that 1/10 second for the power to get to the wheels anyways. Slicks are different because you can launch at 2.5k+ RPM and not have traction problems whereas if you did them with streets, your tires wouldn't hook.
You are right on that. I think I accidentally launched at 1200 RPM and I went spinning through 3 gears. But it may also be because of the FWD in front of me using the wet box and getting water every where. My friend might lend me his G37 stock 18" rims and I might put some DR next season. But I really want to accomplish 12s with 19s on and full interior.

I've still been having a hard time doing a burn out. Many people been coming up to me asking if I have nitrous because I can't do a burnout but when I launch like nothing.

I do have the pedal recall. I place my foot on the brakes and accelerator at the same time and I place constant pressure on the brakes while I bring my RPM up. I then slowly let go of the brakes but it just slides a little bit.

Originally Posted by syzygy
You know if you got a perfect launch (1.91 60' time like toothdoc got below), that would knock off MORE than just .1 off your 1/4 mile since you're picking up that .1 second early on. You could actually conceivably get into high 12s (12.9x) which is something I always figured possible but just didn't happen because most people don't drag their IS350s.

Good luck man. The ISF is already an 11 second car (all motor) thanks to cayman. Let's see if we can make the IS350 a 12 second car (motor). Obviously with N2O it's easy to get into the 12s. I know somebody gets low to mid 12s on N2O with their IS350 (times aren't posted on dragtimes, though).
Lol, is that you Carlx? New screen name?

Yeah, I wish I can get into the 1.9s but I have 19 inch wheels on right now. When I modded my car I never expected to bring to the drag strip. Just for show and random street racing. But now I regret getting 19s. It hurt the performance of the car so much.

Cayman is just crazy. I don't know how he does it. IS350 with 12.8 @ 109. That is some crucial trap speed. Definitely props to him for setting a record for the IS350 and IS-F.

IS350 is definitely a 12 second car with bolts on. (PPE headers 16 WHP, full exhaust, intake) I think if I had some light weight 17s I could of made it into the high 12s that night with ~60 degrees.

It is just good to show other people that underestimate what the IS350 is capable of. There are all these muscle guys that can't believe that my car is beating their mustangs with just intake and exhaust. 335 owners are in disbelief thinking that I have nitrous in my car.
Old 11-14-10, 02:10 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got back from the track. Broke my best record.
Congrats. I only have an 1/8th mile track around here. I went a couple of weeks ago and after driving 30 miles to get there, I drove right into the staging lanes.

I only spun the tires a little to clean them, stayed out of the water, left traction control on and ran:

1.9783 sixty foot
8.6553 1/8 mile time
83.18 mph

The next pass was an 8.7xx and then I took off traction control, put it in sport mode, and the car just spun too much the next two passes.

The car has zero mods and I think 8.6xx is very respectable for a 6 cylinder. The only chnge that tempts me is to put some drag radials on it for better sixty foots.
Old 11-14-10, 09:25 PM
dat-is350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by syzygy

Actually caymandive made his IS350 a 12 second car before he got his ISF.
Old 11-15-10, 02:55 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Default ~

Originally Posted by WHITE93GT
Congrats. I only have an 1/8th mile track around here. I went a couple of weeks ago and after driving 30 miles to get there, I drove right into the staging lanes.

I only spun the tires a little to clean them, stayed out of the water, left traction control on and ran:

1.9783 sixty foot
8.6553 1/8 mile time
83.18 mph

The next pass was an 8.7xx and then I took off traction control, put it in sport mode, and the car just spun too much the next two passes.

The car has zero mods and I think 8.6xx is very respectable for a 6 cylinder. The only chnge that tempts me is to put some drag radials on it for better sixty foots.
Definitely some good times for a stock vehicle. I just can't get anything under 2.0 60ft.

What PSI are you running? I lowered my PSI from 40 to ~30 PSI on my rear and turned off traction control and have no problems launching now. My 13.1 run is with traction off. The first time I went my car was running 40 PSI and I just spinning my wheels.

You might want to consider getting a intake or exhaust.

Quick Reply: Smokyis350 1/4 mile runs