IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Found a nice little "surprise" under the hood today....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 09:11 AM
penone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a similar experience myself a few months ago. Took the car in for an oil change and when they gave it back to me they asked where I parked the car because it looked like some sort of animal was starting to build a nest in my engine. Service guy showed me where the animal was storing some nuts and twigs in my engine block and mentioned that it was a clear sign something wanted to make my car it's home. Got some rat poison that same day and laid it out inside the garage and cleaned out what was in the small crevices on the side of the engine. Now once a week I open the hood and take off the engine cover to inspect and see any signs of the animal (I assume it was a rat - considering I live in the Bronx!) and luckily have not seen any re-occurrence.

What the service guy did mention was that if we did not catch it sooner and the rat would have started chewing wires it would have been a very expensive fix (labor wise) to get into the wire harness and fix the problem.
Old 10-12-10, 08:13 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

that's so ridiculous!
never seen such a thing
Old 10-12-10, 08:24 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

I know, I never thought it would've been me, it's one of those stories that you hear about a friend's friend's friend.... I spoke with the building manager today, was pretty much useless, will talk with the landlord tomorrow. updates to come
Old 10-13-10, 02:54 PM
Karlson
Driver

I've seen rats leaving a car before it gets started. Its very weird when you see it in person, but yes they can live anywhere and can get inside anything. They can fit into really tight spots the size of quarters.
Old 10-13-10, 03:20 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

oh no....the IS becomes the new home for rats!!!

I'd go after them for damages...no point to go through your insurance

good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-14-10, 11:48 AM
kado413
Rookie

that is craazy!!
never seen that before!
Old 10-22-10, 10:41 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

little update:

So I showed my landlord the following working day just so he can see what exactly happend to my car before I have it towed away. He said he will see what he can do, but he said, normally there's nothing he can do. I got the flatbed tow truck in, and towed it back to the dealership. I called my insurance company for this since I wasn't at fault and my premium will not go up after this claim, however I will still have to pay the 500 dollars deductible.

I got my car back now, it's all fixed, they chewed up a few things, the whie stuff was from under the engine cover so I had to get one of those replaced as well. The cost of fixing was abou 1600, car rental about 400 and another 300 for towing. If i had to pay out of my own pocked, i'd be screwed.

Couple of days ago, my landlord called me back after receving my letter. He said that after speaking with their lawyer, in this case, although he is my landlord, he does not manage the building, the building management is the one who maintains the building in making sure it's clean and safe. Since this was a problem due to the negligence of the building management, I should really be going after them, the landlord are not the ones to go after.

So I said fine, and forwarded the letter to my building management, asking them to cover the deductible i had to pay, and a few other costs associated with all of this. I'll see what happens, I really don't think I should be paying this, never mind it completely ruined my thanks giving weekend with plans with friends and family. I'll update in a few days.
Old 10-22-10, 11:30 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That's bogus. That landlord hires the management company. He owns the building, he is responsible. You list him as responsible and he in turn will list the management as responsible.
Old 10-23-10, 12:18 AM
PandaBear
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The landlord has insurance for liability for bigger stuff. Usually his deductible is big enough that they won't be more than your repair. Tell him since he owns the place he has to contact the management. If it isn't resolved within a month, wait for him in small claim court (which lawyers can't get involved) for repair + lost time.
Old 10-23-10, 01:45 AM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

Man that sucks to see...I hate the fact the landlord/management or whatever are coming up with ways not to pay for the damage...I wouldn't be surprised if they find some way to blame you for this problem...(maybe I'm just venting because of my recent landlord/management problems)
Old 10-27-10, 01:31 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Micaiah
That's bogus. That landlord hires the management company. He owns the building, he is responsible. You list him as responsible and he in turn will list the management as responsible.
Totally agree with Micaiah on this.

Just curious if the OP ever got this resolved....and updates?
Old 10-27-10, 04:18 PM
omgswifty
Pole Position

damn bro, which condo u live in? thats something unheard of for me. The little furry ba*****s sure are good at finding creaks to get in there to build that dirt nest.

Your next mod should be rat traps in the engine bay. Like those reallly sticky ones that glue them to death. =D
Old 10-27-10, 05:03 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
Totally agree with Micaiah on this.

Just curious if the OP ever got this resolved....and updates?
Thanks guys.

So here's another small update. Since my landlord told me to go after the building management, I sent them a letter last friday. Got a reply today by mail, which was a letter actually addressing to my landlord. Stating in this matter they are not responsible and that my landlord should deal directly with me. I feel like i'm being bounced around here, which I'm not surprised when it comes to these things, everyone just want to push responsibilities. I'll talk to my landlord again tomorrow, if no progress within the next week, i'll probably do it thru small claims court.
Old 10-27-10, 05:14 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If he brushes you off tomorrow, keep your cool and gently remind him that you will have to seek restitution through alternative agendas.

Keep copies of everything (including the pics) and write down each and every step you have taken and include names, dates and times. This will come handy in small claims court, for the court will ask you if you had given him enough time and notice in regards to your interest in seeking compensation.